Zauz is the blacksmith who helps Link by forging the blade of the Phantom Sword used to defeat Bellum. The Sword Blade is made of three Pure Metals, which Link must collect by befriending the island natives and delving through their respective temples. Zauz tells Link to return in time, as the forging of the Sword Blade is a lengthy process. After Link defeats Jolene one last time, Zauz will have finished the Sword Blade upon returning to his island.
Zauz provides Link a secret that proves to help him navigate further into the Temple of the Ocean King. By drawing an ancient symbol on a particular red door on one of the temple's many levels, he will be able to access an entirely different temple floor, and by extension, the remaining two Sea Charts.
When Zauz first speaks to Ciela, he indicates that he is not human; later dialog suggests he is of the Cobble race, which defended the Ocean King. He shares dark skin and a large, oddly-colored nose with King Mutoh and his Knights.
Phantom Hourglass Manga
Zauz is first mentioned by Oshus, who tells Link to visit the blacksmith since he knows how to defeat Bellum. However, after Linebeck is captured by the monster, Jolene is sent in Link's stead. When the pirate reaches Zauz's island, Zauz himself is in his home working. As he crafts a Sword to defeat Bellum, Jolene asks if he is finished yet. Zauz replies that defeating Bellum requires a true Phantom Sword. Beginning to fret, Jolene tells him that they are in a hurry and asks him if he can finish it faster. Zauz says that it is a difficult process and suggests Jolene has some tea. The pirate girl says they need the Sword as soon as possible and again urges him to hurry. Eventually, Zauz completes the Phantom Sword and Jolene brings the weapon to Link.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Italian||Effesto||A pun of "Hephaestus"|
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 23
- "There is an island north of the Isle of Gust. Go there and find Zauz. He is a blacksmith. He will tell you more about the great evil. He knows how to slay Bellum." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 282(PH)
- "The Phantom Sword is no ordinary sword... When forged, normal metal can never handle that kind of sacred power! Aquanine... Azurine... And Crimsonine... These three pure metals must be forged together to create the Phantom Sword." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The Crimsonine, the Azurine, and the Aquanine. I've never seen metal like this. I'll bet I can forge a mighty sword with them. But it will take some time." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There was a door that you could open by drawing a symbol, was there not? If you draw this symbol on that door, another way should open to you!" — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Go to the Temple of the Ocean King and find the last two sea charts! Draw a new shape on the door, and a new path should open for you." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You see, for generations, our ancestors lived to serve the Ocean King. They defended the Ocean King in an age when great evil lurked in the sea. My people forged our own weapons and fought in epic battles. You seek one of those great weapons. An artifact called the Phantom Sword." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Visit the blacksmith, Zauz, who lives in the northwestern sea. He will teach you how to defeat Bellum." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 133)
- "Jolene, I need to ask a favor. We're going back to Mercay Island! Can you find Zauz the Blacksmith and ask how to defeat Bellum?" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 155, 156)
- "Aren't you done with that sword yet, Zauz?" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 164)
- "To defeat Bellum... Requires a true Phantom Sword!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 164)
- "We're in a hurry! Can't you finish it a little faster?!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 164)
- "It's a difficult process. Why don't you...Go have some tea." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 165)
- "I need that Sword as soon as possible! Hurry!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 165)
- "Sorry to make you wait. Here, Link! The only weapon that can defeat Bellum...The Phantom Sword!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 179)