A brown Yook
The Yook had bitter struggles with their enemies, the Anouki, but formed a peace agreement 100 years before the events of Phantom Hourglass. Now, the Anouki inhabit the western side of the island, while the Yook live in the Great Ice Field on the eastern side of the island. They will attack anyone they consider a threat but possess the fatal flaw of sucking in large breaths of air. This allows Link to throw a Bomb in their mouths, which will temporarily stun them and make them vulnerable to attack. Some Yook have white hair, but others have brown hair. White ones will defend more and attempt to inhale more often, but brown ones swing with their club more and are generally better fighters.
During the events of Phantom Hourglass, a brown-haired Yook invades the western side of the island, kidnapping the Anouki Aroo and stealing his identity. This event re-sparks a strong hatred among the Anouki for the Yook. After Link defeats Gleeok in the Temple of Ice, the Yook claim that they were mind-controlled, and they become more peaceable from then on, some even apologizing to Link for their hostility. Afterward, they speak civilly to Link.
The English name "Yook" potentially comes from the Yuk- part of their Japanese name, ユキザル (Yukizaru).
|Names in Other Regions|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 55
- "Nobody thought the trouble between the Anouki and Yook was a good thing. So we Anouki and those hairy Yook got together 100 years ago... and entered into a little "peace agreement."" — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Speakin' metaphorically, we got our moist, frosted hunk of cake to live on. And we generously gave the Yook the dry, unfrosted morsel of cake to the east." — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "DO NOT ERASE! The Yook's weakness is really simple. The Yook breathe deeply. Inhale...mouth...a...throw... (Most of the message has been wiped off. It's impossible to read.)" — Stone Tablet (Phantom Hourglass)
- "...Hey! How'd you figure it out? And I thought I had an amazing costume." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The Yook tribe that lives over in the ice fields to the east are crazed animals! Those beasts are so crazy I don't even wanna get into it. THAT crazy." — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Those Yook, they're hairy, crazed weirdos, I tell ya!" — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "OoooooOof... My head hurts. It's like my brain was being controlled by some evil force.. Now that I'm back to normal, I feel pretty guilty. This is sort of awkward... but, uh...sorry if I tried to eat you." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Uh...trying to swallow you whole like that was really uncalled for..." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Now that we're back to normal and not having our brains controlled... We feel really bad about pummeling you like that. SORRY!" — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "So you know about Harrow Island, right? It's this small island west of here... Whoa...where did that fact come from? I didn't even know I knew that... Whoa. I'm smarter than I thought." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "We love the cold. It's one of the few advantages of being this hairy..." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)