Vasu is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He facilitates most the services associated with Magic Rings, including appraisal and storage. His two pet snakes are used to transfer rings from one game to another. His shop can be found around Horon Village in Oracle of Seasons, while Lynna City holds his residence in Oracle of Ages. Regardless, the shop looks almost identical in both games, both exterior and interior included.
Magic Rings with unknown properties can be brought to Vasu for appraisal, revealing the rings' true potential. The first appraisal in each game is free, but every subsequent appraisal costs a few Rupees. If Link already possesses a ring identical to the one he just paid to be appraised, Vasu will offer to purchase it. It costs 20 Rupees to appraise a new ring, but Link receives 30 Rupees for rings he sells to Vasu.
All appraised rings are automatically held by Vasu, as Link can only carry a few depending on the size of his Ring Box. Link can return to the Magic Jeweler's shop to exchange rings in his box for ones Vasu is holding, or vice versa.
Ring Transfer and Fortunes
In front of the counter to either side of Vasu are his two pet snakes, the Red Snake and the Blue Snake. These snakes will allow Link to transfer all his appraised rings between linked Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons files. The rings can be transferred in two ways:
With the Red Snake, Link can transfer his rings via Ring Secret. By talking to the Red Snake in one game, he can receive a "secret" in the form of a 15-character password. This password can then be told to the Red Snake in the opposite game, where Link wishes to have his rings transferred. If done correctly, all of Link's appraised rings from the opposite game will appear in the other game's ring list. Rings can only been transferred between two linked game files. Otherwise, the Red Snake will not accept the secret.
With the Blue Snake, Link can transfer his rings via Ring Link. Two Game Boy Colors can be connected by a Game Link Cable. By connecting Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons in this manner, then talking to the Blue Snake and selecting "Link", a Ring Link can be performed, and thus Link's Magic Rings will be transferred without the use of a password. As with the Red Snake, Ring Links will only work between two linked game files.
The Blue Snake also has a second purpose, which is telling "Ring Fortunes". By connecting Oracle of Ages and Seasons with a Game Link cable, then simultaneously speaking to the Blue Snake in both games, a Ring Fortune is performed. Ring Fortunes give both games a new Magic Ring to be appraised, as a sign of "friendship". No rings can be obtained exclusively through this method, therefore Ring Fortunes are not required to obtain all the Magic Rings. Ring Fortunes can be performed with any two Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons game files, although they cannot be performed with two identical games (two Ages or two Seasons).
- As a character, Vasu might have been inspired from Hindu Deities of the same name, if only due to namesake and his South Asian style.
- The only difference between Vasu's shop in both games is the sign of a ring seen in front of the shop, which is red in Oracle of Seasons and blue in Oracle of Ages.
- In Oracle of Seasons, the roof of Vasu Jewelers will also change change with the seasons. It is light green in Spring, dark green in the Summer, ruddy in Autumn, and blue in Winter.
- Opposed to every other character appearing in both Oracle games, in a Linked Game Vasu doesn't recognise Link and oddly presents himself like if they never met. This is probably due to meeting him not being needed to finish the first game.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "The only jeweler in the world of Holodrum, he appraises the secret powers of rings made from magical seeds. Vasu also has two pet snakes." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 8)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 250 (OoS) & 254 (OoA)
- "Rings made from Mystical Seeds have very mystical powers. If you wear one, its mystical power will be passed to you. But you must keep it in your Ring Box. The mystical power will gradually weaken and you wont be able to use it." — Vasu (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I am Red Snake! I am keeper of ring secrets!" — Red Snake (Oracle of Seasons)
- "If you save the secret the Red Snake told you in an Oracle of Seasons game you played, and tell it to the Red Snake here, you can bring rings found in your Oracle of Seasons game here. In the same way, you can take rings from here to your Oracle of Seasons here." — "All About Ring Secrets" book (Oracle of Ages)
- "If you haven't finished your quest or used a secret to visit Labrynna, your ring secret will not work." — "All About Ring Secrets" (Oracle of Ages)
- "I am Blue Snake. I manage the Game Link cable." — Blue Snake (Oracle of Seasons)
- "With a Game Link cable and two Game Boy Color systems, you can bring rings you found in an Oracle of Seasons game to Labrynna without saving your secret. Insert your Oracle of Seasons Game Pak into another Game Boy Color, insert a Game Link cable and turn the power ON, but don't press any buttons. Play Oracle of Ages, talk to Blue Snake and choose "Link" to bring Oracle of Seasons rings here. In the same way, you can take rings found here to your Oracle of Seasons game." — Ring Link Basics (Oracle of Ages)
- "I am Blue Snake. I give Ring fortunes." — Blue Snake (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Through a Ring Fortune you and a friend each get a ring as a sign of your friendship when you and a friend use a Game Link cable to link two Game Boy Color systems. Talk to Blue Snake after connecting your Game Boy systems to link." — Ring Link Basics (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Viens, entre! Bienvenue chez Vasu le joaillier." — Vasu (Oracle of Seasons)
Benvenuto alla gioielleria di Vasu." — Vasu (Oracle of Seasons)