Oracle of Ages
The Tokay have angular heads, gangly limbs, catlike appearances, clawed hands and feet, and orange crests. They are very strong swimmers. Tokay live in the caves of Crescent Island, a large isle off the coast of Labrynna; their secretive lifestyle have made this species quite the topic of conversation on the Labrynna mainland. In Oracle of Ages, a group of Tokay find Link's items washed up on their island and he must get them back using a barter economy the Tokay have established. In terms of spirituality, the Tokay pray to and spread legends about their "Guardian", a large statue that sits at the center of the island.
Unlike the buy-and-sell method of shopping, the Tokay have set up a barter economy; although they still do sell in the conventional sense, the price is not Rupees, but items, such as Mystery Seeds or Scent Seeds. In the event that the prospective buyer cannot afford these items, a compromise can sometimes be met, where the buyer will exchange one of their items for the seller's. However, the buyer cannot get anything new from the seller after this, and must trade back the item they took for their old item before getting anything new.
Besides having set up this fairly elaborate economy, the Tokay are fairly simple, almost to the point of being stupid. Some Tokay have indicated they think three is a huge number.
Oracle of Ages (Himekawa)
A single Tokay briefly appears in Oracle of Ages (Himekawa). They are an older Tokay, distinguished by a beard and monocle, who runs a sort of antique shop in a city. It is here that Ralph finally finds the lost Harp of Ages that Link misplaced in the past, allowing him to rejoin Link and assist in freeing Nayru from Veran's influence.
- Like the Gorons, the Tokay's way of speaking in the Japanese version is decorated with part of the species' name, in this case トカ, added to their sentences.
- While the Tokay appear to be reptiles, one is depicted with hair in Oracle of Ages (Himekawa).
The Japanese name for the Tokay race is トカゲ, or "Lizards". The Western name, "Tokay", is taken from the tokay gecko.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||トカゲ人 (Tokagejin)||Lizard Person|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 55
- "This is Crescent Island. I've never seen a Tokay like you. You have long ears. Are you a long-eared Tokay?" — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "Do you know of the Tokay? I hear there's an island full of them across the sea!" — Man (Oracle of Ages)
- "Hey! You're the one who I... Um, I'm glad you came. I was thinking maybe I should hide-- I mean maybe I should go give this back to you. Here!" — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "I found this by the sea. It was next to a Tokay with no tail. Hey! You don't have a tail, either. ...Ohh. Is this... Um, take this. I... I don't need it." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "First give me my hoop back. Then you get your Shovel." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "Our guardian is at the center of the island. When the sun climbs high into the sky, the sea comes in and you can't get to him." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "It's said that long ago, a Tokay with no tail opened our guardian's mouth." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "I found that feather. You can have it for 10 Mystery Seeds." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "That's the hoop I found. I'll trade it for 10 Scent Seeds." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "You don't have Mystery Seeds? Then I'll trade you for your Shovel." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "I'll give you your Shovel back if you give me my hoop back." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "One, two, three! Is that a lot? I need to learn my numbers." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (Legendary Edition) (VIZ Media) pg. 274