Ocarina of Time
Talon is in charge of Lon Lon Ranch in Ocarina of Time. He is lazy and a very heavy and long sleeper. After Ganondorf acquires the Triforce of Power and turns Hyrule into an evil wasteland, he appoints Talon's underling, Ingo, to take charge of the Ranch. After Ingo ousts Talon from the Ranch, he can be found sleeping in one of the houses in Kakariko Village. Link can only wake him up by using Cojiro. When he regains control of his Ranch, he tells Link that he will dedicate himself to hard work from that point onward. Talon has a daughter named Malon, to whom he entrusts his finest horse, Epona.
When Link is a child, Talon allows Link to play the Super Cucco-findin' Game in which he tosses three special Cuccos into a crowd of normal Cuccos and asks Link to find those specific three. The prize is an empty Bottle full of Lon Lon Milk. After Link wins the game, Talon will jokingly ask Link if he wants to marry Malon.
Oracle of Seasons
Talon and Malon live in a chicken farm north of Horon Village in Oracle of Seasons. As part of the Trading Quest, Link must wake up Talon sleeping on Mt. Cucco with the Megaphone. Talon then gives Link a Mushroom as thanks.
Four Swords Adventures
Talon appears in the Near the Fields level in Four Swords Adventures. After escorting Malon safely home, Talon tells of recent troubles in the area and bemoans the only safe thing for them to do is stay in the house all the time. As gratitude, he allows the Links to use horses to traverse the area past their house.
The Minish Cap
Link first encounters Talon after speaking with the Town Minish in Rem's Shoe Store. He and Malon are locked out of their House. Link helps them by shrinking to Minish size and going into their House to find the Spare Key, which is inside a Jar. This gives him access to Lake Hylia and the northern portion of Minish Woods, where Syrup the Witch's Hut is located. Talon stays in his House near Elsie for the remainder of the game.
In an Ocarina of Time developer's interview posted on Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, script writer Toru Osawa says that Talon and Malon from Ocarina of Time are based on Tarin and Marin from Link's Awakening and it is intended that players who have played the previous game will recognize the reference. Hyrule Historia even states that it is likely that Tarin is formed from Link's memories of Talon.
- Talon's wife is never seen in the series, although he does mention her in Ocarina of Time when Link talks to him while wearing either the Gerudo Mask or Goron Mask.
- Talon, along with Ingo, seem to be based on Mario and Luigi of the Super Mario Bros. series. In Oracle of Seasons, Talon's hat even has Mario's "M" logo on it. Additionally, there is a Bowser emblem on Talon's scarf, which is also present on Malon. Talon's sleeping pose in Ocarina of Time is also identical to Mario's sleeping pose from Super Mario 64.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||タロン (Taron) (OoT)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Would you mind finding my dad? He must have fallen asleep somewhere around the castle. What a thing for an adult to do!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Parent/Child" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 270(TMC))
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239,(OoT) 250 (OoS) & 270 (TMC)
- "Yep, I'm Talon, the owner of Lon Lon Ranch. I went to the castle to deliver some milk, but I sat down here to rest, and I guess I fell asleep..." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Look at the bearded man sleeping over there. I bet even someone like him has had his share of troubles in the past..." — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'm gonna turn over a new leaf and work real hard from now on." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My name is Malon! My dad owns Lon Lon Ranch!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Well how about a little game? These three Cuccos I have here are special Super Cuccos! I'm going to throw these Cuccos into that there gaggle of normal Cuccos. If you can pick out these three special birds from among the normal Cuccos within the time limit, I'll give you something good." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...! I'm proud to present to you a sample of our very own Lon Lon Milk. You'll be energized the moment you drink it! After you drink it, you can bring back the bottle and buy a refill, anytime you want!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "How'd you like to marry Malon? Haw haw! I was just kidding! Just kidding! I think you're a little young for that, aren't you?" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "This small ranch lies just outside Hyrule Town. Father-and-daughter team Talon and Malon run it, and they sell the finest milk in Hyrule!" — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Honestly! Where did Dad go this time?!? I leave for just a few minutes, and he locks up the ranch and takes off!" — Malon (The Minish Cap)
- "I lost my key, and I can't get inside. And the spare key's inside the house!" — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "You really helped me out, sonny. If you ever want to go to Lake Hylia, use the shortcut out behind our ranch." — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "You want to fuse Kinstones? You got it!" — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link’s Awakening for GameBoy also appeared in this Zelda game. We’re hoping that people who’ve played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder “is this a reference to then?” we’ll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview (Japanese))
- "Hey, that reminds me of my wife... On second thought, it doesn't... It doesn't look like her at all!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 141
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239