Redefining Shadow Link?
As we can see with A Link Between Worlds, Shadow Links can exist without the Dark Mirror. Because of this the first paragraph of this page should be edited to compensate for that, but that is not all. Since Shadow Link is no longer dependent on the Dark Mirror's existence, how many of the mentions on the Dark Link page are actually Dark Link? I believe that Link's Shadow is one of the mentions that should be moved to this page as the name is more closely related to Shadow Link than it is to Dark Link. The other mentions on the Dark Link do not have enough information to determine if they are Dark Links or Shadow Links.
It then seems to me that it makes more sense to merge these pages but with a clear understanding of the difference between Dark Link and Shadow Link. I do not expect this to happen though, but we should look at the Dark/Shadow Links that remained unnamed and decide which page they belong to. Dark Mirror's Link (talk) 02:39, 2 February 2014 (UTC)
- Shadow Link in ALBW is specifically a extra-universe interface meant to display a game mechanic; he has no impact on the story, only appears during game communication, and is specifically designed to have no affect on gameplay. If we included him as canon, then the concept of "Streetpass" would have to be canon as well, which obviously makes no sense.KrytenKoro (talk) 05:08, 3 February 2014 (UTC)
'shadow link is the only playable boss in the series'. aren't ganondorf and ghirahm playable in hyrule warriors? The Super Smasher (talk) 12:00, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
- Depends if they're there when the game actually comes out. I would be very wary of changing articles based on pre-release information, personally.KrytenKoro (talk) 13:31, 11 August 2014 (UTC)
Shadow Link vs. Dark Link
- The argument made here was that they are not the same entity. Shadow Link in FSA is different than the rest of the Dark Link/Shadow Link appearances in that he's not just an enemy or boss but an actual antagonist in the plot. But the release of ALBW complicates things...
- I wouldn't be opposed to merging the pages again. The split makes less sense than it did before ALBW. I don't think we gain anything by keeping them separate. — Hylian King [*] 19:48, 14 June 2015 (UTC)
- I dunno. I guess I can kind of see why they're separate to a certain point, since one is more of a defined character...but at the same time, the first sentences of both articles begin with "Dark/Shadow Link is a dark reflection of Link...", so the only difference is that one's origins are more specified than the other. Not to mention, the little disambig thing connecting one page to the other pretty much lists the same attributes for both of them, save for the different games. The Gift (talk) 04:09, 17 June 2015 (UTC)
Shadow Link and Dark Link feel like the exact same being, with a shadow and dark being synonyms used to describe him as being an evil, black colored version of the protagonist, Link. Dark Link and Shadow Link are as different as Wind Waker's Ganon and Ocarina of Time's Ganondorf, which is to say that they are the same being, but different classifications of said being. Bgorch01 10:51, 26 July 2017 (EST)
- Seeing how Nintendo has officially referred to Link's Shadow from AoL as both Dark Link and Shadow Link, I think it's clear that it considers them to be pretty much the same character (or perhaps different incarnations of the same character, just like how there are multiple incarnations of Link, Zelda, Tingle, Impa, etc.), just with interchangeable names. So why haven't the articles been re-merged yet? Drillzer (talk) 23:09, 31 August 2018 (UTC)
- There's a few reasons. Firstly because the instance you're speaking of is from a non-canon title and that doesn't supersede canon names, and our policy regarding bosses sets bosses apart if they have different names. For example, Barba and Volvagia have canonically been recognized to be the same species, but because they have different names they are put on different pages. Also, as the latest entry to the Zelda canon (Encyclopedia) has shown, they consider Shadow Link and Dark Link to be two separate entities. TriforceTony (talk) 01:52, 1 September 2018 (UTC)
ALBW and TFH
I understand that FSA Shadow Link is seprate from the Dark Link page since he's a character, but why aren't ALBW and TFH Shadow Links on that page, despite being called Shadow Link (is TFH Shadow Link even called Shadow Link?) They have more in common with Dark Link and Link's Shadow as they are simply bosses with the same strategy as the Dark Links. I propose we move those two sections to the Dark Link page and rename this page "Shadow Link (Four Swords Adventures)"Gopherdude12 (talk)