|Era(s)||Era of the Wilds|
|Special Characteristic(s)||Reanimated Horse skeleton|
Hyrule Compendium Entry
A Stalhorse is an undead skeletal Horse reanimated by Ganon's magic. However, Stalhorses behave and function like regular Horses and pose no threat to Link. They only appear at night, as they cannot maintain their bone structure during the day. If a Stalhorse is present as the sun rises, it will fall to pieces and disappear. They are usually encountered with Stalkoblins or Bokoblins riding on their backs.
Despite its lack of stomach, Stalhorses can eat both Carrots and Apples like a living Horse, though they cannot be registered at a Stable. If Link tries to register a one at a Stable, the Stable owner will call it a monster and refuse to board it, as it might eat the other Horses. However this is apparently superstition, as Stalhorse are shown to behave identically to their living counterparts. Stalhorses will not harm any Horses tamed by Link, and wild Horses will not flee when they detect them. Domesticated livestock such as cows, sheep, goats, and Hylian Retrievers will flee from Stalhorses due to their monstrous appearance. Wearing the Radiant Set or Phantom Ganon Set causes Stalhorses to run at high speeds when ridden.
Stalhorses serve a role in the "Stalhorse: Pictured!" Side Quest. If Juannelle is spoken to at Snowfield Stable, she will state that she has heard there is a Stalhorse is in the area, but it is too cold for her to search for it. Juannelle will offer to give Link a reward if he brings her some notes or a picture of the Stalhorse. Based on the rumor, she advises Link to try and find a Stalhorse, along with its Stalkoblin rider in the North Tabantha Snowfield, but states that a picture of a Stalhorse from any location would work. If a Picture of the Stalhorse is shown to Juannelle, she will be startled by its appearance, saying that it looks like a monster. She then rewards Link with a Silver Rupee and the Side Quest is complete.
If Link speaks to Baddek while he's on his way to Serenne Stable from the Breach of Demise, he mentions that he once rode a boney horse he encountered in the Tabantha Tundra and notes it was a surprisingly comfortable mount. Like Konba, Baddek considers the Stalhorse to be a type of Horse.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Italian||Stal-lone||Word pun based on "Stallion"|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Ganondorf's Steed
- Giant Horse
- Lord of the Mountain
- White Horse
- "Stalhorse" — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "This skeletal horse is ridden by monsters. It was once a regular horse, but Ganon's power revived it from death. It cannot maintain its bone structure in the daytime." — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "What in Hylia's name?! That's a monster, not a horse! Sorry, but we can't board that... thing here. It might eat the other horses." — Varke (Breath of the Wild)
- "I heard there was a Stalhorse in this area, but I can't take it any longer! It's too cold to look anymore!" — Juannelle (Breath of the Wild)
- "Can you handle this task for me? I'll even reward you! All I need is a picture! Or some notes!" — Juannelle (Breath of the Wild)
- "There's a rumor that it can be found with Stalkoblins in the North Tabantha Snowfield." — Juannelle (Breath of the Wild)
- "Wha-? This is the bony horse? That Stalhorse... It's a monster!" — Juannelle (Breath of the Wild)
- "I love every little thing about horses. I love their fur, the way they smell, their bones even. Speaking of bones, I once rode a horse made of nothing but bones! No lie! It was way up in the snowy mountains. Was I scared, you ask? Nope. I could never be scared of a horse. That bony horse ran really well, and it was actually a surprisingly comfortable ride." — Baddek (Breath of the Wild)