Location and Rules
The Squid-Hunt minigame is found inside the lighthouse on Windfall Island and is run by Salvatore. During the game, Link must find and destroy three randomly hidden squids in the 8×8 grid with only 24 cannonballs. The squids are two, three, and four squares in length and only reveal their locations upon bombing the squares in which they are hidden.
The first time Link finds all three squids, he is rewarded with a Piece of Heart. A second victory yields Treasure Chart 7. Every subsequent victory provides a Purple Rupee. If Link can locate all three squids using fewer than 20 shots, he will also be rewarded with Treasure Chart 23. After Link has obtained both Treasure Charts, he will receive an Orange Rupee every time he beats his personal record.
- Three Yellow Rupees can be found behind the ship seen in the background of the grid.
- In the Japanese version, the goal of the game is to sink ships rather than squids.
- In 2020, nearly two decades after The Wind Waker's initial release, members of the speedrunning community reverse-engineered the minigame and published an open-source probability calculator for it.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD PRIMA Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 293
- "Zere are three squid groups: a large one, a medium one, und a small one!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "But be varned...you haff only 24 cannonballs zat you can fire." — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "To destroy zee marauding squid pods, you must score four direct hits on zee large, three on zee medium, und two on zee small!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Hoorayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you, Mr. Sailor! Please take this Piece of Heart as a sign of our gratitude. You are soooooo GREAT!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Hoorayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you so much, Mr. Sailor! This is our thanks to you! It's been passed down on our island for many years, so don't tell the island elder, OK? Here... Please accept this Treasure Chart!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Yayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you, Mr. Sailor! Please accept all of our combined allowances! Take these 50 Rupees as your reward! Hooray for money!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Whoa. Wait a sec. 20 Cannonballs used in Zee Fleet?! Hey, that's a new record... So, uh, you get this, too." — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- PyoroX, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Japanese Battleship Mini-game, YouTube (video), published January 15, 2011, retrieved June 27, 2021.
- Linkus7, How We Solved the Worst Minigame in Zelda's History, YouTube (video), published May 19, 2020, retrieved January 3, 2022.