- Spirit redirects here. For other uses, see Spirit (Disambiguation).
Spirits are metaphysical entities without a corporeal body, often times the form taken by the deceased in the afterlife, and are a recurring concept throughout The Legend of Zelda series.
Spirits make their first appearance in Majora's Mask. Inhabitants of Termina who have passed away may live on as a Spirit if their will is strong enough, although they can only be seen by the living with the Lens of Truth. Many Spirits with troubles and lingering regrets wander at Ikana Hill. Spider Tokens contain the Spirits of the spiders that must be slain to obtain them. Some Masks that Link can collect contain the Spirits of deceased characters. The Goron Mask contains the spirit of Darmani III and the Zora Mask contains the spirit of Mikau. All four boss Remains imprison an innocent Spirit within that Link frees after defeating each Boss.
Four Swords Adventures
During the events of Twilight Princess living inhabitants of Hyrule are transformed into spirits under the influence of the Twilight. Soldier spirits can be a glowing flame floating in the air, which are currently alive soldiers. In contrast, there are spirits (possibly not even spirits, just ghosts) in Hyrule Castle, which do not appear in Twilight and look undead. They have red, long hair, glowing eyes, and the same armor as their live counterparts. These are actually very helpful, because if wolf uses his senses, he will see them pointing to someplace. The pointing helps in making the right decision, right footing, and puzzle solving. Not all are transformed into spirits within the Twilight; it is believed that its effects are partially negated by the protection of the Triforce. Ganondorf becomes a horned, yellow, glowing head, similar to a skull, as shown in a cutscene where Zant talks in the Palace of Twilight. Link becomes a wolf (strangely not transforming in the Palace of Twilight), whereas Princess Zelda remains in her true form. The Twili also remain in their true form due to them naturally inhabiting the Twilight Realm.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, the four Champions and King Rhoam were killed in the Great Calamity and appear 100 years later as Spirits. Other Spirits include the Lord of the Mountain and the three Dragons known as Farosh, Dinraal, and Naydra.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- See SmashWiki's article on Spirit for more information.
- Main articles: Primary Spirit and Support Spirit
Spirits are the manifestations of characters who have lost their physical forms in the imaginative world of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Despite this, many Spirits have retained their innate qualities, such as Medli retaining an immunity to Strong Wind. Spirits replace Trophies from previous Super Smash Bros. titles.
Two kinds of Spirits exist: Primary Spirits and Support Spirits. In matches, Primary Spirits can lend their power to Fighters who are equipped with them, augmenting the Fighter's stats. However, only one Primary Spirit may be equipped to a given Fighter at any time. Primary Spirits may also have Slots in which Support Spirits can be assigned, granting the Primary Spirits their collective skills. To balance the available Slots that Primary Spirits possess, Support Spirits are accompanied by Costs, which consume Slots when assigned.
Spirits are categorized into four classes based on strength. Average strength Spirits are known as Novices, strong Spirits are known as Advanced, particularly strong Spirits are Aces, and Spirits that outrank all previous classes are known as Legends. Primary Spirits also fit into four possible types: Attack Spirits, Grab Spirits, Shield Spirits, and a fourth, unknown type. Attack Spirits have advantage over Grab Spirits, Grab Spirits have advantage over Shield Spirits whereas the latter have advantage over Attack Spirits. Some Spirits are capable of hastening the rate at which the Final Smash Meter fills and some Spirits have the ability to cause Stage hazards.
Spirits can be acquired by winning Spirit Battles, which are listed on the Spirit Board. In Spirit Battles, Spirits are paired with complementary Fighters based on shared personality, appearance, or other qualities. Spirits can also be obtained by exchanging gold at the Shop.
Defeating Master Spirits unlocks various facilities, such as the Gym and the Dojo. At the Gym, which is operated by Doc Louis, Primary Spirits can be left to gain experience as time passes. Similarly, the Dojo is operated by various characters and is where Spirits can learn new Styles. Spirits can also be sent on Expeditions to areas such as the Ruins, the Caves, and the Jungle in search of treasure which they will collect over a set period of time under Toadette's direction.
Spirits can be sent back to the "real world", causing them to disappear from the collection. In exchange, they leave behind Cores, which can be assembled to Summon other Spirits at the cost of those respective Cores and SP. Similarly, amiibo Figure Players can Inherit stats and skills from both Primary and Support Spirits, though this consumes the Spirit.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||スピリット (Supiritto) (SSBU)||Spirit|
Same as English.
|Russian||Дух (Dukh) (SSBU)|
Soldier ghosts in the Castle Graveyard
- "That was a soldier's spirit. Maybe it's someone from the other world? Eee hee!" — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 8
- "Beyond here is the place where spirits with troubles and lingering regrets wander." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "And when you defeat them...don't forget...the spider token...it contains the spider's spirit..." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "This mask contains the spirit of a proud Goron hero!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "This mask contains the spirit of a legendary guitarist!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You have just freed the innocent spirit that this dark mask had kept imprisoned within the body of evil Odolwa." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You have just freed the innocent spirit that this dark mask had kept imprisoned within the body of evil Goht." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You have just freed the innocent spirit that this dark mask had kept imprisoned within the body of evil Gyorg." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You have just freed the innocent spirit that this dark mask had kept imprisoned within the body of evil Twinmold." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Twilight covered Hyrule like a shroud, and without light, the people became as spirits. Within the twilight, they live on, unaware that they have passed into spirit forms... All the people know now is fear... Fear of a nameless evil..." — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)