Location and Uses
The mask can be obtained from the Happy Mask Shop after paying for the Keaton Mask. As part of the Mask Trading Sequence, the Skull Mask is sold to the Skull Kid in the Lost Woods, who easily sees through Link's disguise and recognizes him. He remarks that it is a strange mask, but that he likes it and thinks it will make him look tougher, before asking Link to sell it to him. However he only pays 10 Rupees for it, 10 less than the mask's actual price, meaning that Link will have to make up for the difference himself. After selling the Skull Mask, Link is able to receive the Spooky Mask from the Happy Mask Shop.
Like other masks in the game, the Skull Mask will solicit different reactions than normal when talking to people. It also has the added effect of preventing Keese from attacking Link while he wears it. The mask is required to obtain a Deku Stick capacity upgrade in the Forest Stage in the Lost Woods. If Link stands in front of the young Deku Scrubs while wearing the Skull Mask, they will swarm around him happily. The elder Deku Scrub will explain that Link resembles their "sacred forest totem," and reward him with the upgrade.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ドクロのお面 (Dokuro no Omen) (OoT)||Same as English.|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 138
- "Hee hee! Under that mask...aren't you that Kokiri kid?" — Skull Kid (Ocarina of Time)
- "Quite an unusual mask you have there. Hee hee! I like it! It may make me look a little bit tougher. Hey, why don't you give it to me?" — Skull Kid (Ocarina of Time)
- "He just gave you 10 Rupees for this 20-Rupee mask! You lost money on that deal! Go back to the Mask Shop and pay 20 Rupees for the mask. The difference will have to come out of your own pocket." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "All of the young Deku Scrub brothers agree...you look exactly like our sacred forest totem! As an offering from us, please accept these Deku Sticks. We will also enhance your carrying skills! Abracadabra! Alakazaaaam!" — Deku Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 150
|Ocarina of Time Mask Trading Sequence|
|Keaton Mask > Skull Mask > Spooky Mask > Bunny Hood|
Gerudo Mask - Goron Mask - Zora Mask - Mask of Truth