Shurmak is a woman who lives in Tolemac. She can be found at the Great Dry Canyon in central Tolemac, where she sits on a red couch. Many years ago, she had sent Gaspra a scroll warning him that Ganon had captured Link and stolen the seven Celestial Signs. Upon Zelda's arrival to Tolemac to find the Celestial Signs and rescue Link, Shurmak serves as her guide throughout the land, whom she has known since Zelda was a child. Shurmak communicates with Zelda telepathically from afar, and offers her sage advice and riddles on exploring the land and its shrines. At the beginning, she urges that Zelda find her Wand near the Vision Henge before venturing any further. She also gives Zelda a riddle on where to find the first shrine, the Shrine of Earth.
Shurmak had also employed several other residents of Tolemac to assist Zelda, including Sir Basil and Madame Kriggle, whom she is an old friend of. Shurmak had also once helped Yvonne, so she in turn helps Zelda.
- "I am Shurmak your guide." — Shurmak (Zelda's Adventure)
- "Ah, the scroll of Shurmak, bearer of sad news these many years ago. And so it was that Gannon, Lord of Darkness, had taken over Tolemac. He has stolen the treasured celestial signs and captured Link! A brave warrior will have to be found to face this evil monster." — Gaspra (Zelda's Adventure)
- " I have known you since you were a child." — Shurmak (Zelda's Adventure)
- "Zelda, do not be hasty! There is something you must have nearby here. Exploration is the key to your success. [...] Zelda, Zelda! Do not roam unprotected. Look nearby for something to aide you." — Shurmak (Zelda's Adventure)
- "Go now to the one who has a bed but never sleeps, where by its side the red willow weeps, and to its mouth that never speaks." — Shurmak (Zelda's Adventure)
- "Hail Princess Zelda, friend of Shurmak! I am Sir Basil of Tolemac, and Shurmak has sent me to assist you." — Sir Basil (Zelda's Adventure)
- "My old friend Shurmak has told me of your coming. I have awaited you many moons and suns." — Madame Kriggle (Zelda's Adventure)
- "I believe Shurmak has graced you with her friendship. She helped me once, so I am going to help you." — Yvonne (Zelda's Adventure)
- "You must heed both Shurmak and Gaspra. There is some envy between them, but it is a small thing and they both fight for the right in different ways." — Link's Guide (Zelda's Adventure)