Location and Rules
Link can access the Shield-Surfing Mini-Game by talking to Selmie at Selmie's Spot. When spoken to, she will offer to assist Link in refining his Shield Surfing skills. If Link accepts and pays her 20 Rupee fee, she will take him outside of her cabin to begin his training.
At the top of the slope, Selmie asks Link if he wants her to explain Shield Surfing. She informs him that his goal is to reach the bottom of the hill as quickly as possible and that he can ride his Shield by hopping onto it in the middle of a jump.
The Beginner Course is the first course Selmie offers to Link, which is focused on the fundamentals of Shield Surfing downhill. When running this course, she does not care if Link dismounts from his Shield at any point. Link's goal is a land bridge at the other end of the Hebra Tundra. Though this course is simple, Selmie believes it will help her understand Link's experience. If Link is successful, she promises him a more advanced course.
If Link finishes the Beginner Course in less than 45 seconds, Selmie will allow him to try a more difficult course. Similarly, if Link finishes the course between one minute and 45 seconds, Selmie will ask if he is ready to move on. When Link decides to push forward, Selmie instead asks what Shield Surfing means to him. If Link responds that it is his life, she is disappointed in him and tells him to try the Beginner Course again. Alternatively, if Link's answer is a shrug, Selmie finds wisdom in this and allows him to move on.
Upon completion of the Beginner Course, Selmie allows Link to attempt the Advanced Course.For this course, Link's goal is go past the land bridge and towards a pair of Big Flags. Selmie will bring Link back to the top of the hill if he ends up off-course. She promises Link special Shields as a reward for beating certain times.[note 1]
When Link completes the Advanced Course, Selmie will give him one of the following Shields based on his time:
|< 1:30||Royal Shield|
|> 3:30||Wooden Shield|
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "How does... Hmmm... Is 20 rupees a session OK with you?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — The Complete Official Guide (Piggyback) pg. 335
- "But if you don't mind a few pointers from a has-been, I'd be happy to critique your technique." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Smart choice. I always say, if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is, how serious are you really? Then let's get straight to the slopes. Follow me!" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Do you need a rundown on how this works?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Shield surfing is all about how fast you can make it to the bottom of the hill. Quick check—you do know how to surf, right? Just hold out your shield, and then hop onto it in mid-jump." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "What I suggest is starting simple with a basic course, so we can take a look at your downhill fundamentals." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "For this course, I don't care if you stay on your shield or not. You can go so fast that you start to fly for all I care." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Straight down from here, you'll see a big bridge. Why don't you start by surfing your way there?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's a pretty no-frills course, but it'll help me get a bead on where you're at with your technique." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "If I dig the way you surf, I'll let you advance to the next step. But we can go down that hill when we get to it." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'd like to see what you can do on a harder slope now. You can consider the advanced course open for business!" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "You clocked in at XX:XX.XX... Pretty average time, all told. I'm not too keen on letting you move on, but... Well, I'll make it your call. You comfy where you are, or do you want to push yourself ahead anyway?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Do your worst!] Hmmm. Let's put the test aside for now and just ask you straight out... What does shield surfing really mean to you?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Shield surfing is life!] Life? It's your whole life? That's your answer? *sigh* Slipping, crashing, and falling over cliffs is no kind of life for anybody. Trust me—I know. If that's how you see things, you're in no shape to advance yet. Sorry, but I'll have to ask you to do the basic course again." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[*shrug*] Uh...are you pulling my leg? Though... These days I'd probably answer the same way. Shield surfing is how we express a passion that we can't put into words. Surfing is its own meaning. Funny, I started out thinking I'd teach you a few tricks, but I ended up learning something pretty important. I think you'll be just fine on the advanced course. But don't make me regret that decision, OK? Haha..." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "First, go straight under the same bridge that was your goal for the beginner's course. Once you're through there, make a sharp turn before going down a long straightaway. You should be able to see a pair of big flags marking the finish line. Head for those and you can't go wrong." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you do manage to veer too far off course, I'll just drag you back here." — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Once you clear the advanced course, you can earn special shields for beating certain times. How's that for incentive?" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Except...it looks like you have all the shields you can carry. Ditch one or I can't give you a proper reward!" — Selmie (Breath of the Wild)