Sharp the Elder(OoT)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Sharp is one of the deceased Composer Brothers who, during their life, served the Royal Family of Hyrule. He and his brother were known to be great composers because of the many musical masterpieces they wrote. However, they were also on a mission to analyze the hereditary mysterious powers of the Royal Family of Hyrule. Although they could never quite understand the true power behind the Triforce, they completed a study about controlling the flow of time via the use of Ocarinas. Ganondorf then tried to steal the results of their research and threatened to kill them if they did not reveal them. The Composer Brothers, unwilling to let the King of the Gerudo reap the fruits of their research, gave up their lives in order to protect the secret they had spent years researching.
After their death, Sharp and his brother kept serving the Royal Family as Poes by guarding the Graveyard. Their tombstones are located right next to the huge headstone that guards the entrance to the Royal Family's Tomb. Link can speak to the deceased brothers by checking their gravestones, which results in them attacking him. After being defeated and realising that he is not one of Ganondorf's men, they will reveal that they were each studying a song, one to summon the sun and the other to summon the moon. Their combined studies resulted in the creation of the "Sun's Song," which is the secret song they guarded and that eventually led to their deaths. Once Link enters the tomb, he can find the "Sun's Song" inscribed at the end, along with a poem written by the Composer Brothers to accompany the melody.
In Majora's Mask, Sharp is located in the Spring Water Cave at the top of Ikana Canyon. When the land was taken over, he was tricked into selling his soul to the devil. Afterwards, he locked up his brother Flat beneath the Ikana Graveyard. Due to Sharp's curse, the Ikana River went dry, causing the Music Box House to stop working and allowing Gibdos to roam the Canyon freely.
Sharp composed a song which has the ability to drain the life from all who listen to it. When Link confronts him, Sharp plays the song, stating that Link will "join the ranks of the dead". The song damages Link as long as he remains in the Spring Water Cave. However, when Link plays the "Song of Storms," the song Flat composed to get rid of his brother's curse, Sharp's soul will be healed. Sharp then tells Link of the curse on Ikana, and how to gain entrance to the Ancient Castle of Ikana.
If Link plays the "Song of Healing", which cures every other spirit in the game, Sharp will react and say how soothing the song is, but quickly regain his demeanor and say it is too late for him to be healed.
Sharp is a musical symbol which denotes a higher pitch. His German name is a reference to the composer Johann Sebastian Bach.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||シャープ (Shāpu) (OoT)||Same as English.|
(In the French version of both Ocarina of Time and Encyclopedia, the names of Sharp and Flat are swapped with each other.)
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Royal Composer Bros.
Sharp the Elder
R.I.P." — Tombstone (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239 (OoT) & 245 (MM)
- "We brothers also served the Royal Family, and were assigned to study the hereditary mystic powers of the family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Back then, people called us great composers because of the many musical masterpieces we wrote. But we brothers were not just composers. We had a mission to analyze the mysterious powers of Hyrule's Royal Family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Though we never could figure out the power of the Triforce, we had almost completed our study of controlling time with the tones of ocarinas. Uh, I mean... Actually, we did complete that study! We would have been famous, if that hateful Ganondorf had not tried to steal our results. We could never let him reap the fruits of our research! That's why we gave our lives to protect the secret." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, what? You're not one of Ganondorf's men, are you?" — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "To tell the truth, each of us was studying a different song, one to summon the sun and another to summon the moon. If you were really sent by a member of the Royal Family, I will tell you about the results of our study. We inscribed it on the royal tombstone." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "The rising sun will eventually set, A newborn's life will fade. From sun to moon, moon to sun... Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...Sharp, my dear brother. He sold his soul to the devil and was the one who locked me in here..." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "We dead should not be lingering here in this land. It was all a trick of the masked one who had upset things." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "If that is the case, then sleep gently to the melody of darkness that the great composer, Sharp, shall play...and join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "With my brother's song, you have broken the curse that was placed upon me. It is all thanks to you." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "If you truly do not fear the dead... I wish for you to go to the temple in this land and sever the root of the evil curse that torments us. To do that... You must seek out the king, the only one who knows the way into the temple. The king is in the ruins of Ikana Castle, awaiting the coming of the one who will break the curse." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "Hmm? Somehow, my heart is eased. This melody has a serenity to it... And yet... To one of the dead and darkness, like myself, a song like that no longer holds meaning for me. You shall end your futile resistance and quickly join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 143
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239