Shadow Beasts are dark, willowy beings that drop out of Portals all across Kingdom of Hyrule and in the Twilight Realm. Most travel in packs but some can be found alone. Shadow Beasts are Twili members that have been corrupted and turned into monsters by Zant. Shadow Beasts are strong enough that only a few were needed to overrun and defeat the scores of Soldiers guarding Princess Zelda, despite the fact that the latter had advantageous numbers. It is also hinted by Barnes that they are not only composed of transformed Twili, but also have the ability to turn Humans into their kind, meaning that they are not restricted to one species.
If one Shadow Beast is left standing during a group battle, it will let out a howl that revives the others. Because of this, at least the last two must be defeated at the same time in order to truly defeat a group. Once there are only a few left, most attacks with a wide area of effect can finish them, although some (such as the Jump Strike or the Mortal Draw) will not. Defeating a group of Shadow Beasts allows Link to warp to the point where they were defeated.
Different Shadow Beasts are seen in the cutscene which shows Zant taking Hyrule Castle and Midna's history of the Twili. These are larger than conventional Shadow Beasts, and bear a different head-dressing; a round silver plate with a special marking on them. However, these monsters are never seen during actual gameplay, so their status and any exclusive powers remain a mystery.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|#||Trophy||Significant Games||Description||How to unlock|
|Twilight Princess||A loyal minion sent in from the Twilight Realm by Zant. Shadow Beasts suddenly appear from portals in the sky and attack in groups. As long as one is left alive, any others will be revived, so you must leave at least two living and defeat them at the same time. If you wipe them all out successfully, a warp point will open.||Random|
|Sticker||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Usable by|
|Twilight Princess||[Darkness] - Attack +28|
My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess
The thirty-fourth puzzle in the Picross series and the thirty-third puzzle in the Mega Picross series depict a Shadow Beast.
- There exists in the code for Twilight Princess an unused Enemy model which may have been an early version of a Shadow Beast.
The Japanese name forShadow Beasts, 影の使者 (Kage no Shisha), alongside their ability to revive fallen Shadow Beasts may be a reference to the phrase 死者を生かす (Shishawoikasu), meaning "to raise the dead."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||影の使者 (Kage no Shisha)||Shadow Messenger|
|FrenchEU||Assassin des ombres||Shadow's Assasin|
|German||Dämon der Finsternis||Shadow Demon|
|Italian||Mostro dell'ombra||Shadow Monster|
|SpanishEU||Bestia de las Sombras (SSBB)||Same as English.|
|SpanishLA||Asesino de las Sombras||Shadow Assasin|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 202
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 293
- "The black beast you slayed was a shadow being. It had come to seize the power of light I wield." — Ordona (Twilight Princess HD)
- "My brethren in Hyrule have already had their light stolen by these fell beasts." — Ordona (Twilight Princess HD)
- "It was a peaceful place... until Zant took control of the Twilight Realm and transformed all of the Twili into shadow beasts." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "They sure didn't seem impressed by my bombs! How long do you think we can hold this sanctuary against beasts that strong, huh? Once they attack, it's OVER! Remember the lady from the general store? Just one of those things attacked her, and a whole gang from town went to save her! And what happened? She was already gone, and there were TWO monsters waitin'! ...You connectin' the dots? That means that if we get attacked by them, then we'll be..." — Barnes (Twilight Princess)
- "If you leave the last one alive, it's just going to use that shriek to bring the others back." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "No need to take these little pests on one at a time, right? You can take them all at once! So... You can handle this by yourself, can't you?" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "You just hold down B and I'll expand an energy field. Enclose all of your enemies within it and release the button!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Wait! This guy isn't an enemy, Link. They might look different, but... they're inhabitants of this world... They're my people. Zant... How could he..." — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Unused Models§Early Shadow Beast, The Cutting Room Floor, retrieved April 27, 2015.