|Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild|
The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an upcoming main installment in The Legend of Zelda series. It is confirmed to be in development presently, but currently has neither a release date nor an official title.
Development of the twentieth game in The Legend of Zelda series began in 2017 after the production for Breath of the Wild ended. During the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct it was announced that it would be a sequel to Breath of the Wild. The idea of creating a direct sequel came from the fact that Eiji Aonuma, producer of Breath of the Wild, wanted to revisit the same Kingdom of Hyrule while incorporating a new story and gameplay mechanics. Initially, new ideas were thought of for DLC but evolved into a new game when too many were gathered.
During the announcement of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on September 8th of 2020, Eiji Aonuma said that Nintendo was still working on the game and that the fans would have to wait before getting any news. Later, in a December interview, Doug Bowser added that contents of the game would be shown when they felt they had enough to show.
The trailer shows of Link and Zelda exploring a dungeon underneath Hyrule Castle. They come to a cavern, where Ganondorf’s corpse is laid across a pedestal. A blue glowing hand reaches down, and the corpse is reawakened. This results in an earthquake, and then screen then moves to see Hyrule Castle shaking. The trailer then ends on a cliffhanger.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
|North American trailer|
- Brian Shea, Breath Of The Wild's Director Is Returning For The Sequel, Game Informer, published June 11, 2019, retrieved June 12, 2019.
- "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019" — Nintendo, Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trail..., YouTube, published June 11, 2019, retrieved May 10, 2020.
- Creating a Champion pg. 424
- "The sequel to The Legend of #Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development for #NintendoSwitch!" — Nintendo of America, Nintendo of America on Twitter: "The sequel to The Legend of #Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development for #NintendoSwitch!...", Twitter, published June 11, 2019, retrieved June 11, 2019.
- "Initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, "This is too many ideas, let's just make one new game and start from scratch."" —Eiji Aonuma (Breath Of The Wild Is Getting A Sequel Because The Team Had Too Many DLC Ideas (And Other Info From Zelda's Producer))
- Colin Stevens and Samuel Claiborn, HERE'S WHAT ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD SEQUEL'S CREATOR IS WILLING TO SAY ABOUT CO-OP - E3 2019, IGN, published June 12, 2019, retrieved June 13, 2019.