- This page is about secrets concerning Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. You may be looking for Secrets in Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.
- For a list of secrets obtainable in a Linked Game, see Linked Game/Secrets.
Secrets, or Passwords, are a unique feature of Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages and the centerpiece of Linked Games. They are obtained in various parts of both Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons and come in the form of five, fifteen or twenty-character passwords, which vary from game to game. All secrets that Link has obtained are recorded in Farore's Memory.
Role in Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
Secret to Holodrum/Labrynna
The Secret to Holodrum and the Secret to Labrynna is the first usable secret obtained in either game. Obtained after completing either Oracle of Ages (Secret to Holodrum) or Oracle of Seasons (Secret to Labrynna), these twenty-character passwords allow Link to begin a Linked Game. These secrets are used by beginning a new file and selecting "Secrets". The exact password will vary depending on how the game was played (which animal companion Link had, which name he gave Bipsom, how this same child grew up, and so on), which allows the game to identify, for example, which animal companion to accord the game file when beginning a Linked Game (so that it is the same as the completed game file where the Secret to Holodum/Labrynna was obtained). Every other secret obtained from then on will only work with the corresponding game file.
At the end of a Linked Game, Link will receive the Hero's Secret instead of the Holodrum or Labrynna Secret. The Hero's Secret is used to start a new file on the same game in which it was obtained. The Hero's Secret allows players to experience the game without the plot alterations of the Linked Game. Link starts with four Heart Containers instead of three, and rings from the two previous playthroughs can be transferred to this game file. At the end of this "Hero's Game", Link still receives a Secret to Holodrum/Labrynna, allowing the player to begin a Linked Game in the other game. Thus, the Hero's Secret allows players to experience both the linked and non-linked versions of both games.
- Related article: Red Snake
The Ring Secret is a fifteen-character password that allows Link to transfer all his Magic Rings between linked files of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. The secret is obtained from the Red Snake at Vasu Jewelers, to be told to the corresponding Red Snake in the opposite game. Rings can be transferred both ways.
Linked Game Secrets
- Main article: Linking Secret
These secrets are the centerpiece of Linked Games. The secrets, which are five-character passwords, are obtained by characters in a Linked Game that do not appear in non-linked games. This password must be told to a specific individual on the completed game file of the opposing game in order to obtain new items and upgrades that are not obtainable in a non-linked game. Said individual also provides Link with another secret that will allow him to carry said item or upgrade back into the Linked Game, with the help of Farore, the Oracle of Secrets (found within the Hall of Secrets). Notable items obtained from passing along these secrets include the Master Sword, the Mirror Shield, Biggoron's Sword, and Bombchus.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "As you play the two games, you'll learn many passwords, or secrets, that can be used to link the two games. These secrets that link the two games make up the link system" (Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 16)
- "Upon completing The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, you will learn the secret (password) that will let you continue you quest by travelling to the distant land of Holodrum" (Oracle of Ages manual, pg. 48)
- "If you save the secret the Red Snake told you in an Oracle of Seasons game you played, and tell it to the Red Snake here, you can bring rings found in your Oracle of Seasons game here. In the same way, you can take rings from here to your Oracle of Seasons here." — All About Ring Secrets (Oracle of Ages)
- "With a Game Link cable and two Game Boy Color systems, you can bring rings here without saving your secret!" — All About Ring Secrets (Oracle of Seasons)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 121