The Second Quest from The Wind Waker HD
|Game(s)||The Legend of Zelda|
The Adventure of Link
The Wind Waker
|Other media||Zelda (Game & Watch)|
|Feature(s)||Increased difficulty (TLoZ)|
Alternate Dungeons (TLoZ)
The Legend of Zelda
The Second Quest in The Legend of Zelda is unlocked after completing the game. Doing so replaces the file icon with Link holding a Sword. The Second Quest consists of Dungeons being located in different places with an added difficulty. Heart Containers and some shops found in the overworld are also changed to different locations. The name "ZELDA" can be used in the name input screen to start the Second Quest automatically.
The Adventure of Link
The Second Quest in The Adventure of Link can be unlocked after completing the game. The file will now include a Triforce piece next to its name. During the Second Quest, Link gets to keep all the Spells learned in the previous Quest, as well as his levels for Skill, Magic, and Life. Special items found in Palaces have to be retrieved again, as well as any Heart Containers and Magic Containers.
The Wind Waker
The Second Quest in The Wind Waker can be unlocked after completing the game. During the Second Quest, Link wears his initial outfit for the entire game while Aryll wears her pirate outfit from the start. Link also starts with the Deluxe Picto Box and all the Figurines he had in the First Quest. All spoken Hylian text will be translated as well. Also, the location of sunken treasure from Treasure Charts will be different, usually further away from the island than they were in the first quest.[verification needed]
- The Second Quest from The Legend of Zelda was created after Takashi Tezuka arranged the Dungeons in the First Quest in a way that only half of the memory available was used.
- During the development of Skyward Sword, Zelda's adventure after landing on The Surface was planned to be included as a playable Second Quest. Although the idea was scrapped, this setting was used during the game's credits.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 144 (TLoZ)
- "The game will save and make a file for a second quest." — N/A (The Wind Waker HD)
- "From [sic] the second round starts, enemies move slightly faster and your score is carried over from the previous round." (Zelda (Game & Watch) manual, pg. 11)
- Nintendo Fun Club News Vol. 1 No. 3 (Nintendo of America) pg. 16
- "You'll discover in the course of the Second Quest that the lay of the land in the Underworld is vastly different. [...] The Second big difference is the placement of items in the Underworld. [...] To make matters worse, the enemies guarding the labyrinths have become much stronger, too! It's more difficult to get to Ganon in the Second Quest." (Nintendo Power, July/August 1988 Issue (Nintendo of America) pg. 28)
- "If you successfully fought your way through the game, but accidentally erased your name, enter "Zelda" when you register. It will start your second adventure right away." (Nintendo Power, July/August 1988 Issue (Nintendo of America) pg. 26)
- "I created the data exactly in line with it, but then Tezuka-san made a mistake and only used half of the data. I said, "Tezuka-san, there's only half here. Where did the other half go?" and he was like, "What?! Oops, I messed up..." But Miyamoto-san said it was fine just like that. [...] So, using the half of the memory that was left over, we decided to create the Second Quest." —Toshihiko Nakago (Bonus 2: The Story of the Second Quest)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 297