- "Spring" redirects here. For other uses, see Spring (Disambiguation).
Seasons are a recurring element in The Legend of Zelda series. Though most games seem to feature either spring or summer, Seasons play a major part in Oracle of Seasons and a significantly more minor role in Twilight Princess.
Oracle of Seasons
All four Seasons play a critical role for Link in Oracle of Seasons. As Link arrives in Holodrum, Din, the Oracle of Seasons, becomes kidnapped by General Onox. This throws the Seasons into chaos, and casts the Temple of Seasons down into Subrosia. In Subrosia, Link is guided to the Rod of Seasons by the Season Spirits. The Rod of Seasons can be used to control the Seasons after being empowered by each of the four Season Spirits in the four towers positioned at each corner of the Temple of Seasons. The first Season that Link obtains is Winter, granted by the Spirit of Winter.
In Winter, some trees lose their leaves and become thinner, allowing Link to pass under them. Some ponds, lakes, and rivers freeze over, allowing Link to walk over them and Snowdrifts may pile up in some places. They can act as a bridge between two places, or as a barrier, preventing Link from continuing.
In Summer, some ponds, lakes, and rivers dry up, allowing Link to explore the riverbed. Additionally, vines grow in vertical crevices in walls, allowing Link to climb them to access higher places.
In Spring, some ponds, lakes, and rivers flood from melting ice, raising the water level and covering brambles and other barriers, allowing some waterways to be navigable without the Flippers. Flowers that were rock hard during the other seasons bloom, and regular flowers can now be chopped down. Also in some places, Blast Blooms flourish, which can be used to rocket Link into the air, granting him access to high ledges.
In Autumn, Rock Mushrooms that were rock-hard during the other Seasons are now ripe for picking when equipped with the Power Bracelet. Leaves fall and cover holes in the ground, which Link can walk over. However, if he stands on a hole for too long, he will fall through.
In Twilight Princess, seasonal changes only affect Hena's Fishing Hole. Each time Link enters the Fishing Hole, the Seasons will advance, starting from Spring. The Seasons affect which types of Fish are available, as the Hylian Loach can only be found during the summertime.
|Names in Other Regions|
Holodrum in Winter; the tree has lost its leaves
Holodrum in Summer; the vine can be climbed
Holodrum in Spring; the flowers have grown
Holodrum in Autumn; the mushroom can be picked up
- "When Onox carried off the Oracle of Seasons from the land of Holodrum, the seasons fell into chaos and the land was deprived of the bountiful gifts of nature." (Oracle of Seasons manual)
- "As you know, if I imprison the Oracle of Seasons and bury the temple that houses the Seasons Spirits, the seasons of Holodrum will be cast into chaos, the bountiful gifts of nature will rot, and all living things perish!!! That is the world of darkness that I long for!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Down, Temple of Seasons!!! Spring, summer, fall, winter... Fall into chaos!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Get the Rod of Seasons and visit us who wait in each of the four corner towers!" — Spirit of Winter (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Thank you for coming, child of the crested hand. The Spirit of Winter has been waiting for you. Din is our dear friend... Now, let me bestow the power of the Spirit of Winter on the rod you hold! When you swing the rod from atop a stump, the seasons shall change." — Spirit of Winter (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Winter brings heavy snows and cold temperatures that can freeze lakes and rivers. In winter, some trees will be completely free of leaves." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "In summer, some lakes dry up under the hot sun. Many plats like vines grow particularly well in this season." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "Spring is the season when snow and ice thaw and many flowers start to blossom. The buds of some flowers are hard as rocks until they blossom in spring." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "Autumn leaves fall to the ground and cover holes. In this season, you can even pick mushrooms that are rock-hard the rest of they year." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)