Era of Light and Dark(ALttP)
A Link to the Past
Sahasrahla is the elder of Kakariko Village in A Link to the Past. As a descendant of the Seven Wise Men, Sahasrahla is gifted with mystical abilities, boasting telepathic powers like those of Princess Zelda. He is able to use these abilities to contact Link over great distances, even across the void between worlds. A man named Aginah who hides out in the in the Desert of Mystery is revealed to be his brother in Ancient Stone Tablets, and shares these abilities.
Sahasrahla was forced into hiding because of the growing threats of Agahnim, as he is said to be a descendant of one of the original Seven Sages that Agahnim is looking for. Fortunately Sahasrahla's Grandson knows that Sahasrahla is hiding near the Eastern Palace. The boy marks his location on Link's map, and he must seek him in order to acquire more information. The elder is found in a small shrine-like building a short distance to the west of the Eastern Palace itself, known as Saharahla's Hideout. It is here that he meets Link. He will ask Link to obtain the Pendant of Courage, one of the three Pendants of Virtue required to wield the Master Sword from the Eastern Palace as a trial of his courage. Once completed, he offers to tell Link more about the Master Sword and reward him with an artifact. If Link brings him the Pendant of Courage, he will be told how a hero is said to appear from the bloodline of those who guarded the Pendant, the Knights of Hyrule. Believing Link to be this hero, Sahasrahla entrusts him with the Pegasus Boots, which had been passed down by the families of the Seven Wise Men.
Asking Link to obtain the remaining Pendants, he will continue to offer his advice to Link via telepathy. He will usually only contact Link through the power of a Telepathy Tile, but is also able to contact him at other moments, usually at times of great need. Unable to offer his own strength, he wishes nothing more than for Link to succeed in his quest.
After Ganon has been defeated, Sahasrahla returns to his home in Kakariko Village.
A Link Between Worlds
When Link meets Sahasrahla in A Link Between Worlds, he tells the hero about Ganon's attempt to destroy the land of Hyrule a long time ago. After learning that a man named Yuga turned Seres into a Painting, he tells Link that she was one of the Seven Sages, descended from the original group of Sages who imprisoned Ganon in the Dark World. He then remembers that his pupil, Osfala, is another sage, and that he went to the Eastern Palace. Knowing that he is too old to reach the palace in time, Sahasrahla asks Link to go ahead of him and warn Osfala. However, Link fails to protect Osfala from Yuga, and meets Sahasrahla once more, outside of the Eastern Palace. They are interrupted by an earthquake originating from Hyrule Castle and hurry along there, only to realize that it is now protected by an evil Barrier, set up by Yuga to secure control over Sage Impa and Princess Zelda. Sahasrahla laments over the Pendant of Courage being inside the Castle, which he explains is necessary for obtaining the Master Sword, which can dispel the Barrier. Link reveals that Princess Zelda gave him the Pendant of Courage prior to sending him to Sahasrahla's side. Sahasrahla then tells the young hero that the remaining two Pendants of Virtue are located in the House of Gales and Tower of Hera, and marks Link's map to show both locations.
After Link obtains both remaining Pendants of Virtue, Sahasrahla speaks to him via telepathy, telling the young hero that he is now worthy of wielding the Master Sword, which is located in the Lost Woods. Once Link obtains the Master Sword, Sahasrahla will telepathically speak to Link, telling him to use the newly-obtained Sword to destroy the Barrier at Hyrule Castle. Sahasrahla then heads to Hyrule Castle, where he is waiting for Link. Once Link destroys the Barrier, Sahasrahla expresses surprise at how easily the Master Sword cut through the dark magic.
Sahasrahla appears outside Link's house after the young hero returns from Lorule. He explains that fissures between the two worlds have appeared as a result of Yuga's influence, but assures Link that there is still hope as long as he wields the Master Sword. He then tells Link that a fissure has appeared behind his house in Kakariko Village, hinting that Link can enter a previously unreachable segment of Lorule through it.
His relation to Sahasrahla from A Link to the Past is not confirmed, but he may be a direct descendant. If this is indeed the case, he too would carry on the bloodline of the Seven Sages.
Sahasrahla may be named after the seventh chakra of Hinduism, Sahasrara.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Who? Oh, it's you, Link! What can I do for you, young man? The elder? Oh, no one has seen him since the wizard began collecting victims..." — Old Woman (A Link to the Past)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 228
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 309
- "It is said that the village elder is a descendant of one of the seven wise men. Maybe he can tell you more..." — Loyal Sage (A Link to the Past)
- "I am, indeed, Sahasrahla, the village elder and a descendant of the seven wise men." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Link, it is I, Sahasrahla. I am communicating to you across the void through telepathy... The place where you now stand was the Golden Land, but evil power turned it into the Dark World." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Hi Link! Elder? Are you talking about the grandpa? OK, but don't tell any of the bad people about this. He's hiding in the palace past the castle." — Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "As a test, can you retrieve the Pendant Of Courage from the East Palace? If you bring it here, I will tell you more of the legend and give you a magical artifact." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "I see you have acquired the Pendant of Courage. I will tell you about the legend behind it. Three or four generations ago, an order of knights protected the royalty of the Hylia. These Knights Of Hyrule were also guardians of the Pendant Of Courage. Unfortunately, most of them were destroyed in the great war against evil that took place when the seven wise men created their seal. Among the descendants of the Knights Of Hyrule a hero must appear. ...I see. Link, I believe you. You should get the remaining Pendants. And carry this with you. This is a treasure passed down by the families of the wise men. I want you to have it." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Link, it is I, Sahasrahla. Ican talk to you telepathically when you touch these tiles." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Link, I can rely on only you. Please make this old man's wishes come true. I beg you!" — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "Long ago, Ganon the Demon King nearly destroyed our world." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Hear me, Link... You have done well, my young hero! You acquired the Pendant of Wisdom and the Pendant of Power. Now that you have all three Pendants of Virtue, you have proven yourself worthy of the Master Sword. You will find the blade deep within the Lost Woods! Go now. Claim what is rightfully yours!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Hear me, Link... The sword you hold in your hand is the one and only Master Sword! Now that you possess that blade, you can break the barrier at the castle. So make haste. We don't have much time left. Get to Hyrule Castle!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I wonder why Sahasrahla hurried off to the castle like that. Something awful must be going on there." — Boy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Aha! No doubt--that is the very blade of evil's bane. You have found the Master Sword! Well done, Link. Now there's no time to waste. Strike down this nefarious barrier!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Why, that's incredible! How easily it cuts through such dark magic! Come now, to action! You must find Princess Zelda at once." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh, my lad! You're alive? I thought that...! No matter. I am just glad to see you alive and well. Please tell me, is Princess Zelda safe? I see... So Yuga has become evil itself in a kingdom of shadow... Curse him for all eternity! His evil has spread even here, for just after you vanished into Hyrule Castle, a quake shook the kingdom! It left fissures like this all through Hyrule! And when there are cracks, can shattering be far behind?" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh, Link... With Princess Zelda in our enemy's hands, Hyrule is on the brink of disaster. But you...! You at least wield the sacred blade of legend, the Master Sword! Hope lives still, as long as you hold that sword, and your courage will surely see us through. The future of Hyrule Kingdom is in your hands, Link." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "These cracks are all over Hyrule, even in the back of my house! Where can I go? Where will I sleep? I fear getting too close to such vicious fissures!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I believe it was in the days of my grandfather's grandfather's grandfather... Yes, surely. A deceitful wizard conspired against all goodness to revive the Demon King Ganon." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Let me see that! After Sahasrahla gave me the Pendant of Courage, he told me the Pendant of Power was in a desert ruin!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- "This marks the location of Sahasrahla the Elder's house... He is a descendant of one of the Seven Wise Men who sealed the Golden Land so long ago. I am certain he can tell you more of the Master Sword." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "Well, young man, when the maidens began to disappear, the rumors began to fly. When Sahasrahla heard that the wizard might be responsible, he said, 'so it has begun...' and disappeared himself! [...] I'm sorry, but you know wise men like him... They often wander off without notice, in search of enlightenment. If you ask in the village, someone may know where he is... If I may ask, why are you looking for him?" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "Yes... I am INDEED Sahasrahla! But you... You are just a BOY... I cannot believe a youngster like you is looking for the Master Sword! Not just anyone can use that mighty blade!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 12,13)
- "The symbols are the legendary Pendants of Virtue. I can help you with the Pendant of Courage...but finding the remaining two pendants is not a quest to be taken lightly... Do you really believe you can accomplish this task, young man?" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 13)
- "Link! Your priority should be finding the next pendant... Go to the Tower of Hera atop Death Mountain...." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "You penetrated the gate to the Dark World... That wicked realm has the power to change your body to reflect your heart. The emotions now in your heart are negative and evil! You nearly became a beast! [...] Yes, Link, but you can never win with hatred alone... Even if you were victorious, darkness would consume you!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- "Link, do not put all your trust in the Master Sword! Even its mighty magic cannot harm Agahnim's body!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 10)
- "Link, listen! According to my calculations, the location of the pyramid in the Dark World corresponds to that of Hyrule Castle in the light world! The Palace of Darkness, which you destroyed, must somehow be connected to Hyrule's Eastern Palace! That explains the sudden earthquake... This event leads me to believe that the Dark World is like a warped reflection of our Light World, and that the two worlds are somehow connected!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 8)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Vol. 1 (Shogakukan 1) pg. 122
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 228