Features and Overview
The Royal Palace is a feature of Gerudo Town, located along the southwest edge of the town. A large rock spire rests on top of the Palace, which serves as the source Gerudo Town's water. The first floor serves as the throne room, containing Riju's Throne and the pedestal for the Thunder Helm. Riju, the chief of the Gerudo, inhabits the Palace, and her bedroom takes up its entire second floor. Initially, Link is unable to access this part of the Palace.
Alongside Riju, several Gerudo guards patrol the Royal Palace. Ploka and Reeza guard the front entrance, while Bertri and Katta protect the stairs to Riju's bedroom. Buliara acts as Riju's personal guard and protects her while she sits on her Throne.
Riju's Bedroom contains several Sand-Seal Toys, including a large one that rests on her bed. In front of the bed is the Chief's Diary, which is Riju's personal diary. When The Champions' Ballad DLC Pack is active, Urbosa's Diary will be present alongside it after completing the "Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest.
Before Link arrives in Gerudo Town, the Yiga Clan infiltrated the Royal Palace and stole the Thunder Helm, an heirloom of the Gerudo. This has caused the soldiers of Gerudo Town to go on high alert. Babi has also inflicted rigorous training on her soldiers as punishment for allowing the thieves to get by them.
When Link approaches the Royal Palace, he can ask Ploka if he is able to go inside. While she wants to turn him away, Riju has allowed visitors to the Palace. Though he is allowed inside, Ploka threatens him should he anything rude to the chief. Her fellow guard, Reeza, thinks Riju allowing visitors in these tough times portrays her as a kind chief who puts her people first. However, she also warns Link against disturbing Riju.
Riju greets Link when he first enters the Royal Palace. However, she takes note of his Sheikah Slate, calling it something interesting. Link appraoches, but once he reaches the steps to Riju's Throne, Buliara demands he stop and declare his business. Believing that he is more than the average traveler, Riju halts Buliara's questioning and asks Link's name. She then asks what his purpose his coming so far to meet her.
At first, Buliara does not believe that Link is capable of calming Divine Beast Vah Naboris, as all of the Champions that were capable of controling it died 100 years ago. However, Riju remembers her mother telling her a story of a fallen swordsman that the princess put into a deep sleep during the Great Calamity. Though the story always seemed more like a legend than history, the swordsman she heard of was also named Link. Riju points out that Link is carrying a Sheikah relic, which means he must be more than a simple wanderer to possess it.
While Buliara can not recall a Hylian woman among the Champions, she quickly realizes that Link is actually a man. Since Link is a Champion and is there to help with Divine Beast Vah Naboris, Riju refuses to throw him out. Though the Divine Beast is dangerous, the Gerudo have been unable to find a way to calm it on their own. She believes that Link's role as a Champion will allow him to enter and tame Divine Beast Vah Naboris.
Buliara interrupts, urging Riju to reconsider entrusting such a task to a stranger. Instead, she suggests he prove himself by retrieving the Thunder Helm. Riju likes this suggestion, explaining that the Thunder Helm is the only thing that can resist the lightning of Divine Beast Vah Naboris. Buliara sends Link to Captain Teake in the barracks to learn more about the thieves. Without the Thunder Helm, Riju informs Link that he will never be able to approach Naboris. However, she sees Link's appearance as proof that Urbosa is looking out for them.
When Link returns to the Royal Palace with the Thunder Helm, Buliara will direct him to Riju's room on the second floor, which he has been granted special permission to enter. She threatens Link to be on his best manners, or else he will meet a bad end. Both Bertri and Katta will be shocked by this.
At the top of the stairs, Riju tells Link she has been waiting for him and can sense the power of the Thunder Helm from him. When it was stolen, Riju felt as though a shadow had fallen over her, but now she sees Link's arrival in such a dark time as the work of Urbosa. Riju then puts the Thunder Helm on and asks how she looks, which triggers the "Urbosa's Hand" Recovered Memory. Though Riju notices Link's staring, she dismisses it and asks if she looks right. She tells Link to meet her at the Lookout Post before leaving.
Link can return to the Royal Palace to speak to Riju after he has calmed Divine Beast Vah Naboris. She is glad to see that Link is alright, and while she is still worried about the greater threat to Hyrule Kingdom, she is relieved that the Gerudo will no longer be in danger from the Divine Beast. Behind Riju's Throne is two Treasure Chests, the contents of which Riju offers Link to show her appreciation. Inside are the Scimitar of the Seven and Daybreaker, which are treasured by the Gerudo as belongings of Urbosa. Since Link was friends with Urbosa, Riju believes it is right for him to have them.
After completing "Divine Beast Vah Naboris", Link can attempt to take the Thunder Helm from the Royal Palace. Buliara stops him, as his status as a hero does not give him permission to touch it. Riju instructs Buliara to calm down and asks Link if he desires the Helm. Despite the deeds Link has done for the Gerudo, Riju is unable to give it to him, but since Link is fighting the enemy of Urbosa, she offers to lend it to him. In order to earn the Thunder Helm, Link must gain the trust of the Gerudo. By solving the worries of Gerudo Town, Link will prove himself worthy. This begins "The Thunder Helm" Side Quest.
Once Link has completed all of the Side Quests in Gerudo Town, Riju shares that she has heard of what he has done and offers her thanks. She declares Link a true friend of the Gerudo and allows him to take the Thunder Helm. More than anyone else, Riju believes Link will be able to use it to its fullest potential. This completes the Side Quest.
When The Champions' Ballad DLC Pack is active, Link is able to obtain the "Champion Urbosa's Song" Recovered Memory. This memory begins inside the Royal Palace, with Princess Zelda and her attendants standing in front of Urbosa, who is sitting upon the Throne. Urbosa accepts Zelda's request for her to be a Champion, explaining that their enemies, the Yiga Clan, have been planning to steal their Thunder Helm along with resurrecting Calamity Ganon. She vows not to rest until the Calamity falls. On behalf of Hyrule Kingdom, Princess Zelda thanks Urbosa.
- The elderly Gerudo, Rima, previously worked as a guard inside the Royal Palace as captain.
- In the Royal Palace, Riju's throne and the stone tablets to the left and right of it have Gerudo words inscribed on them. When deciphered, the throne reads, "A RESILIENT DESERT FLOWER, FACING THE SUN'S GAZE, GERUDO GROWS BRILLIANT, WHILE OTHERS". The tablet to the left reads, "WE STAND VIGILANT, IN THE DESERT SUN WE ARE BRILLIANT, OVER EVERYONE". The tablet to the right reads, "VIGILANT IN THE SUN GROWING BRILLIANT GERUDO NEVER OUTDONE". In addition, the pedestal that displays the Thunder Helm reads, "BRILLIANT IN THE SUN".
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Creating a Champion pg. 320
- "This is the home of the chief of the Gerudo. It is my duty to make sure that no one suspicious enters." — Ploka (Breath of the Wild)
This isn't a place someone like you can walk in and out of whenever you like! If you don't want me to skewer you right here, you'd better leave at once!" — Bertri (Breath of the Wild)
- "Halt! Unless you have permission, you'll stay right there! I don't care who you are!" — Katta (Breath of the Wild)
- "Yahaha! You found me!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "Buh-bye!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "-Diary of Makeela Riju-
Chief of the Gerudo" — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Lady Urbosa's diary is in my room. Since she trusted you, I'm certain she wouldn't mind you reading it." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "The chief's heirloom was stolen by thieves belonging to the Yiga Clan the other day, so everyone is on edge..." — Teake (Breath of the Wild)
- "We're on high alert after the recent theft, so you should clear out." — Teake (Breath of the Wild)
- "We're on high alert right now. If you want to do some sightseeing, go check out the market instead!" — Liana (Breath of the Wild)
- "Can't you tell we're on high alert right now?! And no, you can't help! Outsiders must stay out of it!" — Babi (Breath of the Wild)
- "*pant pant*
Babi's training is really tough, but... It's our fault the thieves were successful. We have no room to complain." — Marta (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Can I go in?] We're busy! It's an emergency!! Authorized personnel only!!! ...That's what I would say if I had my way, but he chief is a kind person. She's told me to allow visitors." — Ploka (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you want to go inside, be my guest. But if you say even one rude thing to the chief... You and my spear will have a very personal conversation!" — Ploka (Breath of the Wild)
- "The chief may be young, but she's a kind person who puts her people first. She told me to allow visitors through, even in these tough times..." — Reeza (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hey, listen! Even though I'm letting you inside, that doesn't mean you can go getting in the chief's way! Watch out!" — Reeza (Breath of the Wild)
- "Yet another traveler... How did you get in here?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "It seems you have something rather interesting there..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You stand before Lady Riju, chief of the Gerudo! Declare your business, but come no closer!" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hold on Buliara... This one appears to be more than a common traveler. You there—what is your name?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Link... And what is it you've come all the way here to tell me, Link?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can calm Naboris.] You think you have what it takes to subdue something so powerful as a Divine Beast?" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "The only ones who could ever control them were Champions like Lady Urbosa. And all of the Champions died in the Calamity 100 years ago." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hmm... Buliara, a memory just jumped into my head—something my mother spoke of. When the Calamity happened, the princess of Hyrule placed a fallen swordsman into a deep sleep." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "That swordsman, much like our new friend here, was named Link...though it always seemed more legend than fact." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "What of the device on this one's hip? It appears to be a precious relic of the Sheikah." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can't imagine they would give something so valuable to a simple drifter—can you?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "...I don't remember ever hearing of a Hylian vai among the Champions." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Wait a moment... You're a voe!" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "A voe within our walls is a great crime. But a voe who is a Champion... Well, we'd never mistreat a fried of Lady Urbosa. And if you're here to help us with Naboris, then we are allies." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You saw it on your way to our town. Divine Beast Vah Naboris, cloaked in a massive sanstorm, hurling lightning at any who dare approach." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "We have to do something to stop it, but we have yet to find any way to appease the Divine Beast on our own." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you truly are a Champion, perhaps you will be able to enter Naboris and calm its anger." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Lady Riju! I don't see how you can trust a complete stranger with something as important as this task." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Perhaps if this person were first to prove his worth by recovering your stolen Thunder Helm..." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ah, yes... An interesting suggestion." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You see, there is only one thing in all of Hyrule that can withstand the lightning from Naboris. The Thunder Helm, a family heirloom and relic of the Gerudo. But as Buliara says, it was stolen from us." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Our soldiers can tell you all you need to know about the thieves who stole Lady Riju's heirloom. Head through this arch. It will lead you to the barracks. Then, seek out Captain Teake, and ask for a full report." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Without my heirloom, you'll never be able to approach Naboris." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Heh, you know... I take heart in having such a rare visitor as yourself. Lady Urbosa must be looking out for us." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you are looking for Lady Riju, she's on the second floor. Normally people aren't allowed into her sleeping quarters, but she has given you permission it seems..." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Be on your best manners. If she deems you to be a disturbance to her, it will not end well for you!" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "You've got permission to enter the chief's bedroom?! Who ARE you?" — Bertri (Breath of the Wild)
- "You must be pretty special to have gotten permission from the chief." — Katta (Breath of the Wild)
- "I've been waiting for you... Oh, you needn't say a word. As the chief of the Gerudo, I can sense the power of the heirloom flowing from you. I know that you've succeeded!" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "When my family heirloom was stolen, I felt as though a shadow had fallen over me..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Yes, your arrival in the midst of all of this must be the work of Lady Urbosa..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Um. How do I look?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "What's wrong? You're just staring... Anyway, what matters now is... How...how is it?! Do I look all right?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'll head out now. Let's meet up at the lookout post south of town." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oh, you're back?!" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm glad you're OK... Truly, I am..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Naboris is no longer a threat to the town... I'm still worried about the larger threat to Hyrule, but at least my people won't be trouble by Naboris anymore." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I want to offer you these as thanks for your help. I trust you'll accept them." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "These pieces of equipment are priceless treasures of the Gerudo people. They were once worn by Lady Urbosa." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Since you and Lady Urbosa were friends, it's only right that you have them." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Halt! That is the treausre of the Gerudo, the Thunder Helm! You may be held in high esteem, but this does not give you the freedom to lay your hands on the pride of our people." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Becalm yourself, Buliara. You...desire this helm?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I see... And yet, despite the great debt we owe you, I cannot just give such a precious thing to you." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "...But you ARE up against the enemy of Lady Urbosa... And if you truly desire it, then perhaps I can lend it to you..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well then, let's see how serious you are. This helm is a cultural treasure. To earn it, you must gain the trust of our people." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I want you to address their concerns and bring a resolute peace to our town." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I have heard of your recent actions. You have returned smiles to the faces of my people... On behalf of all Gerudo, I must offer you my heartfelt thanks. Sarqso." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You are, from this moment on, a true friend of the Gerudo! And if it can help a true friend in need, we will gladly lend you this sacred treasure." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I know that you, more than any other, will be able to use this Thunder Helm to its fullest potential... I believe you can unlock the power of Urbosa that lies within." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Princess of Hyrule, I accept your proposition without hesitation." — Urbosa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Not only are they planning to resurrect Calamity Ganon, it seems the Yiga Clan is also after our treasured heirloom." — Urbosa (Breath of the Wild)
- "You have my word. I won't rest until the Calamity falls." — Urbosa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Gerudo chief Urbosa... On behalf of Hyrule and its king, I thank you." — Princess Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Especially since I've only ever served in the palace. I've never even set foot beyond the town's walls. I thought I could relax at last, now that Buliara has come of age. But then something like this happens..." — Rima (Breath of the Wild)