|Rem (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|The proprietor of Rem's Shoe Store.|
Using his "secret technique," he makes
shoes in his sleep. Princess Zelda is
his single biggest source of income.
Rem is a resident of Hyrule Town, and owns Rem's Shoe Store. He has a habit of falling asleep while working on shoes, only to find them to be completed when he wakes up. This leads him to believe that he is skilled in crafting shoes while asleep. However, his shoes are really completed by the Minish who live in Rem's Shoe Store, and can be seen working while he sleeps.
When Link is unable to cross the Castor Wilds, he must seek Rem's help to create the Pegasus Boots; however, Rem has fallen into a deep sleep and the Minish have taken to crafting the Pegasus Boots themselves. Despite this, Rem is needed to add the finishing touches to the Boots, so Link must retrieve a Wake-Up Mushroom from Syrup in her Hut in the northernmost section of Minish Woods. To wake Rem, Link must face him and press the R-button, causing him to inhale the Wake-Up Mushroom's stench.
After Link awakens Rem with the Wake-Up Mushroom, Rem finishes the Pegasus Boots and gives them to Link free of charge. Afterwards, Rem resolves to return to working on crafting Princess Zelda's shoes that were commissioned by King Daltus, only to fall asleep again.
- Rem is likely based on the shoemaker from the Brothers Grimm's The Elves and the Shoemaker.
Rem's name derives from "R.E.M.", also known as rapid eye movement, a stage of deep sleep.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Sopor||From Latin sopor, meaning "a deep sleep"|
|German||Schlumm||From Schlummer, meaning "slumber"|
|Italian||Rem||Same as English.|
- "The proprietor of Rem's Shoe Store. Using his "secret technique," he makes shoes in his sleep. Princess Zelda is his single biggest source of income." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 271
- "Lately, whenever I take a nap, all my shoes are done when I wake up! You know, if I can make shoes in my sleep, I must be in the right job!" — Rem (The Minish Cap)
- "Say, have you been to Rem's Shoe Shop? His shoes really are the best. I'm sure they could help you on your quest. Why don't you give him a visit?" — Smith (The Minish Cap)
- "Ho, ho! You need Pegasus Boots? Why, you're just in time! We made a pair just now while Rem was sleeping. But only Rem can put the finishing touches on them..." — Town Minish (The Minish Cap)
- "Ha, ha! That sleepyhead Rem is nearly impossible to wake up... If you want to wake him, you'll need to get an item from Syrup's hut. It's a little bit of a trek, but we'll mark it on your map for you." — Town Minish (The Minish Cap)
- "Ho, ho! We've done all we can with these shoes. You'll need to go to Syrup's hut so Rem can put on the finishing touches." — Town Minish (The Minish Cap)
- "Ah, yes! A fine choice, my dear! That's a limited-time article! One whiff, and you're wide-awake! That's why it's called a wake-up mushroom!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "Heheheh... Just face the sleepy snoozer and press ... That'll pop his eyes right open! POP!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "If I recall correctly, and I guarantee that I do, my boy... I think Syrup said to stand in front of a sleeping person and press ." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "You got a wake-up mushroom! Its nasty stench chases away the sleepies!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "Whaa--! What is that terrifyingly bad smell!? A wake-up mushroom?! I should have guessed! So you woke me up? Thanks, I just remembered I have something urgent to do! ?! Huh? What now?! There are more new shoes! You probably won't believe this, but... I have a strange habit of making shoes in my sleep! So you must have come here because you want some of my shoes, right? Tell you what: because you were nice enough to wake me, you can have 'em! Hold on a sec, though. I just want to finish this one last bit... [...] And there we go... Here, take these. Those are my special Pegasus Boots! They're so light, you'll feel like you're practically walking on air!" — Rem (The Minish Cap)
- "Ooh, I need to hurry up and get working on that special order... The king asked me to make some shoes for Princess Zelda, you see. Thanks for waking me up. Come back if I can ever help you with shoe problems." — Rem (The Minish Cap)
- "I need to hurry up and make those shoes for Princess Zelda!" — Rem (The Minish Cap)
- "Whuzza?! Oh, welcome! Welcome to Rem's Shoe Shop! I must have dozed off again... Time to make the shoes!" — Rem (The Minish Cap)
- "There seem to be many interesting books in here... Hyrule on 10 Rupees a Day, So Your Son Wants to Be a Hero... It Could Be Verse!, by Percy, and Rem's Anthology for Sleepless Nights. Hmmm, they all look pretty good, but which one to read first?" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)