Evil Spirit from Beyond(OoT)
- 1 Characteristics
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 See Also
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Phantom Ganon is the boss of the Forest Temple. Once the battle starts, Phantom Ganon jumps into one of the six paintings around the room. Afterwards, it and two replicas will ride to the front of three paintings. The real one can be spotted by its lighter color. A purple vortex then appears revealing the real Phantom Ganon. As Phantom Ganon jumps out of the painting, Link can shoot it with the Fairy Bow. If the Arrow misses or is delayed, it summons an electric ball on the ground that scatters across the platform. This can be avoided by standing on one of the Triforce images on each corner of the platform. After three shots, Phantom Ganon leaves its horse, starting the second part of the battle.
Phantom Ganon now attacks by shooting an energy ball from its staff at Link while hovering over the ground. Link can hit the ball back with the Master Sword or a Bottle. After enough hits, Phantom Ganon falls to the ground paralyzed, where it can be hit multiple times with the Master Sword. When its health is halved, Phantom Ganon can also attack by twirling his staff a few times and then charging at Link, dealing three hearts of damage. Once defeated, he is banished to the gap between dimensions by Ganondorf and Link receives a Heart Container as well as the Forest Medallion.
The Wind Waker
|Phantom Ganon (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Habitat: Forsaken Fortress|
Effective Weapons: Light Arrows, Master Sword
This is a phantom that Ganondorf created in his own likeness. Use your sword to knock back the balls of magic that he hurls, then attack him when he's stunned.
Actually, you can also use empty bottles to deflect his magic attacks.
In The Wind Waker, Phantom Ganon appears in the Forsaken Fortress and in Ganon's Tower. It must be defeated by reflecting its blue orbs with the Sword or an empty Bottle. Once hit by a reflected attack, Link can attack Phantom Ganon with his Sword. He can also attack it by intercepting its Sword attacks. After defeating Phantom Ganon in the Forsaken Fortress, Link receives the Skull Hammer.
During its fight in Ganon's Castle, Phantom Ganon is accompanied by four illusions of itself. It now also attacks by throwing dark energy balls, which splits into a group of small bursts of energy flying towards Link. These can be sent back at it with a Spin Attack. After just one hit, Phantom Ganon disappears, leaving its Sword behind with the handle pointing at the door Link must open to advance. Once the Light Arrows are found, they must be shot at Phantom Ganon once stunned in order to finally defeat it.
Link can grab Phantom Ganon's Sword to attack; however, it must be hold with both hands, leaving Link unable to use his Shield. After defeating Phantom Ganon in Ganon's Castle's labyrinth, Link must throw its Sword at the brick wall to gain access to the top of the Tower.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Phantom Ganon first appears as the boss of Hyrule Castle. In order to defeat it, the Links must hit its energy balls back and forth with the Sword. Once stunned, it is vulnerable to slashes from the Sword. Phantom Ganon appears once again as the boss of the Temple of Darkness; however, it now summons clones to its aid. The real Phantom Ganon will throw green orbs that can be hit back, while the clones throw white balls that break when hit with the Sword.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Windblight Ganon, Thunderblight Ganon, Fireblight Ganon, and Waterblight Ganon are all collectively known as Phantom Ganons. Link can also dress up as the Phantom himself with the Phantom Ganon Set after completing the "EX Treasure: Dark Armor" Side Quest. The Phantom Ganon Set is comprised of the Phantom Ganon Skull, Phantom Ganon Armor, and Phantom Ganon Greaves. It is rumored that some believe its eerie headgear, armor, & greaves are inspirited by a dark entity resembling the Great King of Evil himself. Each piece of the set grants Stealth Up and its has the same set bonus as the Radiant Set increasing the attack power of the Bokoblin Arm, Moblin Arm, and Lizalfos Arm bone Weapons. The Phantom Ganon Set also disguises Link from all Stal enemies, save for Stalnox and Cursed Enemies.
- In The Wind Waker, the Hylian script on Phantom Ganon's Sword reads "Zubora Gabora", the names of the blacksmiths who forge Link's Kokiri Sword in Majora's Mask.
- The Wall Merging ability from A Link Between Worlds was inspired by Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time, who also has the ability to enter walls through paintings.
- In addition, his capturing of Saria in a painting would later be the main power of Yuga, Ganon's Lorulean counterpart.
- Although Phantom Ganon himself does not appear, a concept art for Ganondorf in the Oracle games is described as representing "Ganondorf's phantom."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ファントムガノン (Fantomu Ganon) (OoT)||Phantom Gannon/Ganon|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Fireblight Ganon
- Thunderblight Ganon
- Waterblight Ganon
- Windblight Ganon
- Calamity Ganon
- Phantom Rider
- Phantom Ganon was referred to as Phantom Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — Prima Official Game Guide by Prima Games. However, as this contradicts the name given in Encyclopedia, it is not considered Canon.
- "Evil Spirit from Beyond
PHANTOM GANON" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 197 (OoT | OoT3D | TWW | TWWHD | FSA)
- Creating a Champion pg. 80
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 101
- "Phantom Ganon It's an evil ghost of the Forest Temple! He comes out of one of the pictures. Answer his magic attack with an attack of your own!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Phantom Ganon Attack him when he comes out of one of the pictures! Watch out for the fake one!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey kid, you did quite well... It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill... But you have defeated only my phantom... When you fight the real me, it won't be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between dimensions!!" — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 33
- "To defeat Phantom Ganon, swing your sword so it hits the ball of magic and sends it back at Phantom Ganon, who knocks it back at you. It's like a tennis game-keep returning Phantom Ganon's shots until he misses and is stunned by his own attack." (The Wind Waker manual, pg. 79)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 79
- "The sword-hilts of my servants who lurk deep in the darkness shall be the guideposts that point to me." — Stone in Ganon's Tower (The Wind Waker)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 119
- Creating a Champion pg. 80
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 302
- "A design sketch depicting Ganondorf’s phantom. Ganondorf never appears in the Oracle series, however. Only his beast form, Ganon, is seen." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 169)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 145