Please helpby introducing appropriate citations.
The Legend of Zelda
In The Legend of Zelda, the Old Woman near the waterfall of the Death Mountain area simply states "PAY ME AND I'LL TALK". Only by giving her the middle amount of Rupees requested will she offer useful information. Otherwise, Link loses Rupees to hear: "THIS AIN'T ENOUGH TO TALK" or "BOY, YOU'RE RICH". Moreover, by paying her the right amount of money in the section near the Lost Woods, she will reveal to Link the directions he must take in order to get through the woods and onto the Graveyard.
Link can receive a Letter from the Letter-Entrusting Old Man in a northeast cave of Hyrule. The Old Man tells Link to show the Letter to the Old Woman which is a childhood friend of his. After Link shows the Letter to the Old Woman, the various other Old Women around the Overworld will sell him Life Potions and 2nd Potions.
The Adventure of Link
Two Old Women, one in Harbor Town of Mido, who claims to need Water of Life for her sick daughter, and one in Mountain Town of Darunia, who has a Kidnapped Child, allow Link to meet the Wise Men teaching spells in their house if the young hero helps them. An Old Woman in the Hidden Town of Kasuto invites Link inside her house to claim the fourth and last Magic Container if he has already three out of the four containers.
The Shadow Prince
The Old Woman is a character featured in The Shadow Prince. Link can only meet her if he opens the gates of the Water Town of Saria using the key given to him by an Old Man on his way to Ruto Town. Once the young hero enters the town square of Saria, the Old Woman will waddle towards him, asking if he is Link. Link confirms this, and just then he notices that the Old Woman has eyes "clear as glass." When Link remarks about her eyes, the Old Woman rewards his observation by advising him to retrieve the fruit of an apple tree located in the middle of the square. Doing so, she says, will make Link's eyes as clear as hers. After reaching the tree in the Wiseapple Farm, Link notices a small mirror with a thin wooden frame in one of the brances, realizing that the Old Woman was actually referring to the Mirror of Truth.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||おばあさん (Obāsan) (TLoZ)||Grandmother|
|FrenchEU||Vieille femme (TLoZ | TAoL)||Old woman|
|German||Alte Frau (TLoZ)||Old Woman|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Other Notable Old Women
- Impa from The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds
- Granny from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
- Sahasrahla's Wife from A Link to the Past
- Syrup from A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and The Minish Cap
- Twinrova from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
- Witch from A Link Between Worlds
- "YOU ARE A HERO FOR SAVING MY CHILD. COME" — Old Woman (The Adventure of Link)
- "PLEASE. MY DAUGHTER IS SICK. HELP HER!" — Old Woman (The Adventure of Link)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 219 (TLoZ) & 223 (TAoL)
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 388 (ALttP)
- Tips & Tactics (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 11
- "PAY ME AND I'LL TALK" — Old Woman (The Legend of Zelda)
- "THIS AIN'T ENOUGH TO TALK" — Old Woman (The Legend of Zelda)
- "BOY, YOU'RE RICH" — Old Woman (The Legend of Zelda)
- "SHOW THIS TO THE OLD WOMAN." — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "Childhood Friends" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 219(TLoZ))
- "I CAN GIVE YOU MAGIC. COME BACK ANYTIME." — Old Woman (The Adventure of Link)
- "STOP AND REST HERE." — Old Woman (The Adventure of Link)
- "He is in a busy town square! People bustle by without looking at him. Then a hunched old woman waddles toward him. A draped shawl hides her face. 'Might you be Link?' she rasps." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 57)
- "She looks up. Link has never seen a face so wrinkled. But her eyes are clear as glass." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 57)
- "'You're an observant youngster!' she says. 'I'm going to give you some advice, clever lad.' She points to a gnarled tree in the middle of the square. 'See that apple tree? If you can get to it, its fruit will make your eyes as clear as mine.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 57, 58)
- "As Link is reaching for his own snack, he sees something shining in a forked branch. 'Hmmm...' He reaches up and pulls down a small mirror with a thin wooden frame. Link grins. 'So that's what the old lady meant about clear eyes,' he says." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 43)
- Encyclopedia (Tokuma Shoten Publishing) pg. 217
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 219
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 223
- Encyclopedia (TOKYOPOP) pg. 219
- Encyclopedia (Magazzini Salani) pg. 219
- Encyclopedia (Norma Editorial) pg. 219