Oceanside Spider House
|Oceanside Spider House|
The Spider House exterior
The Oceanside Spider House is a location and a mini-dungeon in Majora's Mask. It is located near the Fisherman's Hut in the Great Bay Coast. It is full of Gold Skulltulas that have cast a curse upon the house. In order to get to the inner part of the Spider House, the entrance must be blown up using a Bomb. The Hookshot is also required to proceed further.
The Oceanside Spider House bears a greater resemblance to an actual house than the Swamp Spider House, albeit a very abandoned one, full of storage boxes and cobwebs. When Link first enters the house, he finds himself in an empty room. However, by blowing up the cracked wall before him, a passage is revealed that leads to a hidden basement with another entrance to the rest of the house. The first room after the basement entrance is a corridor with a stairway down and three rooms. A great library is located on the first basement floor, while the second basement floor holds a storage room and a dining room. The latter is inhabited by four Stalchildren sitting by a large table, while another two can also be found in the library. By speaking to them using the Captain's Hat, it is revealed that they are under orders to investigate the secrets of the place. In addition, each of the six Stalchildren will reveal a piece of information that is required to solve a puzzle in the dining room. When Link solves this puzzle, a gateway will open within the dining room's fireplace, revealing a secret chamber where a Treasure Chest with a Piece of Heart inside can be found.
The most intriguing mystery surrounding the Oceanside Spider House is the presence of pictures of the Skull Kid within the house. It is never elaborated on as to why the pictures are in there, nor even referenced by anyone within the house, even Tatl. The only purpose they serve is to be shot down to potentially reveal a hidden Gold Skulltula.
Once the 30 Gold Skulltulas are slain and their Spirits collected, a man will appear at the entrance, who will ask if he can have the house. If Link collects all the tokens during the First Day, he will be rewarded with the Giant Wallet. On the Second Day, he will receive a Purple Rupee, and on the Final Day, a Red Rupee. The man wants to use the Oceanside Spider House as a shelter from the falling Moon. If Link re-enters the house, the man will now be sitting crouched up on the basement floor, praying for the Goddess of Time to save him.
In Majora's Mask 3D, the colored masks in the dining room are redesigned to feature a different card suit symbol on each one. The hints the Stalchildren give also refer to the mask's symbol instead of the color. Link can also now get the Giant Wallet during any of the three days.
Minor Enemies and Traps
- The man seeking shelter is the same man who stands on the top of the Carnival Tower on the First Day. If Link collects all of the Gold Skulltula Spirits, the man disappears from Clock Town.
- That man resembles one of the children from the Skulltula Family.
- In Super Smash Bros. Melee, the house itself can be seen, alongside the Fisherman's Hut, in the background of the Great Bay stage.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||海のクモ館 (Umi no Kumo Yakata)||Ocean Spider Mansion|
|French||Maison des Araignées de la Côte||Spider House of the Coast|
|FrenchCA||Maison des araignées de la côte (MM3D)||Spider house of the coast|
|German||Spinnenhaus am Meer||Spider House near the Sea|
|SpanishEU||Casa de las Arañas de la Playa||Spider House of the Beach|
|SpanishLA||Casa de las arañas de la playa (MM3D)||Spider house of the beach|
- "Ah! Captain, sir! It's been a long time since we've seen you! As you have ordered, sir, we are investigating the secrets of this place." — Stalchild (Majora's Mask)
- "This place... Is this some sort of underground shelter? [...] I beg you! Let me have this place! Not for free, of course. I hope this will do..." — Hylian (Majora's Mask)
- "Only a little time left... Oh, Goddess of Time, please save me..." — Hylian (Majora's Mask)