Features and Overview
The Marine Research Lab is stationed in the Great Bay Coast. It specializes in the research of water quality and marine life-forms. Inside is a giant water tank especially prepared for Zora Eggs, and in a corner is a smaller Fish tank with two hungry Fish inside.
The Professor works here, researching the creatures of the Great Bay Coast. As explained by the doctor, if Lulu's Zora Eggs are not kept in the specifically-made aquarium, they may die. The reason for this is that Zora Eggs are very sensitive to extreme changes in temperature, and since Great Bay has had abnormal weather patterns recently, they are not safe in such an environment. Knowing this, the Professor prepared the aquarium for the Eggs long ago so that they may properly hatch.
Once Link has rescued all seven of the Zora Eggs and has placed them inside the aquarium, the Zora Eggs will instantly hatch and teach him the "New Wave Bossa Nova", which is needed to get Lulu's voice back.
If Link drops a bottled fish in the tank with the two hungry fish, they both lunge at it. One of them catches the meal and grows one size larger. When one fish grows 4 sizes, it eats the other (regardless of its size) and spits out a Piece of Heart. Each fish dropped into the tank has a 50/50 chance of being eaten by one carnivorous fish or the other, which means 4 to 7 bottled fish are needed to obtain the Piece of Heart.[verification needed]
- In Majora's Mask 3D, a Love Tester, a toy made by Nintendo in 1969, can be seen behind some beakers and vials on a table.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- The Marine Research Lab is referred to as the Marine Lab in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide by Versus Books. However, as this contradicts the name given in Majora's Mask, it is not considered Canon.
- The Marine Research Lab was referred to as the Marine Research Laboratory on Zelda.com's encyclopedia. However, as this contradicts the name given in-game, it is not considered Canon.
- "Marine Research Lab" — Map (Majora's Mask 3D)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide (Versus Books) pg. 61
- "Marine Research Labratory
In Termina's Great Bay Coast, the Marine Research Laboratory is well-established as the leading authority on marine biology in Termina." — The Great Hyrule Encyclopedia, Zelda.com (archive), retrieved January 22, 2022.
- "Marine Research Lab - Researching water quality and marine life-forms in Great Bay." — Sign (Majora's Mask)
- "But if they aren't kept in this aquarium until then...they may die." — Professor (Majora's Mask)
- "The reason for this is that the recent abnormal weather has caused the ocean temperature to rise in this region. Zora eggs are very sensitive to changes in the temperature." — Professor (Majora's Mask)
- "The only way the eggs can hatch is if they're placed in this aquarium water, which I set aside for them long ago." — Professor (Majora's Mask)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 338
- "Also, don't miss yet another old-school Nintendo toy in the Marine Research Lab in the Great Bay region. Inside the lab, on the table tucked away behind some beakers and vials is the original Nintendo Love Tester." — Majora's Mask 3D Easter Eggs, IGN, retrieved July 9, 2015.