A Link to the Past
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
Maple appears in both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages as the apprentice witch of her grandmother Syrup, playing an identical role in each game. Once Link has defeated 30 enemies (or 15 while wearing Maple's Ring) and enters one of the predetermined areas where Maple can appear, her theme song begins playing its ominous opening notes as her shadow snakes across the ground, indicating her entrance from overhead. Maple then swoops in on her broomstick, making several passes around the screen. While Link can try to avoid or ignore her, a collision between the two will cause Maple to crash, scattering some of her belongings on the ground. These items may include Rupees, Hearts, Bombs, Mystical Seeds, Gasha Seeds, Magic Rings, Magic Potions, and even a Piece of Heart, which can only be collected once. The more valuable an item, the more rarely it will be dropped in the collision. Some of Link's own Rupees, Hearts, Bombs and Mystical Seeds may be dropped as well.
The apprentice witch then berates Link for his supposed carelessness and declares that she'll take all of the dropped items for herself, including any of Link's. This begins a Mini-Game of sorts, where Maple and Link race around the screen to pick up as many items as possible. Maple can travel slightly faster than Link thanks to her power of flight, but requires an extra moment to lift up any items she hovers over, while Link can simply touch an item to collect it. Once all of the items have been claimed, Maple will offer a condescending remark on the young hero's performance before flying away in a huff.
Though Maple has little regard for Link, she eventually comes to see their encounters as more of a game. After eight encounters have taken place, Maple will appear riding a flying vacuum cleaner instead of her broom, which allows her to fly faster, but more erratically. In a Linked Game, she'll appear riding a flying saucer instead. The witch can even be encountered in the past in Oracle of Ages, having the apparent ability to fly through Time Portals.
Maple also plays a part in the Trading Quest of both games. In Oracle of Seasons, she requires the Lon Lon Egg and gives Link the Ghastly Doll in return. In Oracle of Ages, she requires the Touching Book which she exchanges for the Magic Oar. Maple appears again in the ending of Oracle of Ages, where she is seen listening to Nayru play the Harp of Ages.
When collecting the dropped items, Maple will always fly toward the highest priority item first, even if other items are closer. Link can use this knowledge to plot the best path to collect the items he desires.
- Piece of Heart
- Gasha Seeds
- Magic Rings
- Magic Potions
- Mystical Seeds
- Red Rupees (5)
- Green Rupees (1)
Oracle of Seasons (Himekawa)
- Her full name is Maple Syrup, as seen in the Oracle of Seasons "You Decide on the Adventure" book.
- Irene from A Link Between Worlds is similar to Maple in both appearance and personality.
- Though the chances are remote, Maple has alternate dialogue if all of the items fall into deep water, down pits, or are otherwise lost before the collection "game" can begin.
- If Link's first encounter with Maple in Oracle of Ages takes place in the past, she reveals that the Touching Book she seeks was taken away from her by her grandmother, Syrup.
- The Lorulean Witch in A Link Between Worlds might also be named Maple. She is called "Mapes" by Fortune-Teller, which could be an affectionate shortening of the name.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Maple at the end of Oracle of Ages listening to Nayru
- "Maple is an apprentice witch to her grandmother. She often sneaks away from training and flies around on the magic broom she recently learned to ride. Occasionally, she unexpectedly flies down and crashes into Link." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 8)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 250 (OoS) & 254 (OoA)
- "You just hit Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "AH! All my stuff flew out of my bag! I'll just take what you dropped, too! This'll show you what happens when you make Maple mad!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ah ha ha ha! Now you're sorry! I have more stuff than before! See ya!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "You little-- I'll remember this!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "We meet again! You know the drill! Fastest one wins. Ready..? Go!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ouch... Watch where you're walkin'! I came through this weird tunnel and was flyin' happily along... What are you doin' here anyway?" — Maple (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ouch... Watch where you're walkin'! I came through this weird tunnel and was flyin' happily along when you run into me! I'm Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice! Why does this happen to me? The Great Witch is so mean. She even took away my picture book! Doesn't anyone have that book? Now you come along and make me drop all my stuff!" — Maple (Oracle of Ages)
- "Oh, c'mon, Mapes. You know how I can't stand compliments... Unless you say them right. I'm the MOST handsome and talented. Why, I'm the foremost fortune-teller in this world or any other!" — Fortune-Teller (A Link Between Worlds)
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 250