|Man in Tavern|
A Link to the Past
The Man in Tavern can be found inside the Kakariko Village Tavern and is usually seen sleeping. During the game, he is concerned about the well-being of his son and is awaiting his return. He tells Link that his son went to search for the Golden Power but never returned.
After Link finds his son's flute and plays it for the old man, the man understands what has happened to his son and asks Link to keep it. He also tells the young hero to play the Flute in front of the Weathercock in the center of Kakariko Village. When Link proceeds to comply with his request, the Flute Boy's pet bird breaks out of the Weathercock and flies off.
During the game's ending, after Link reverses Ganon's evil wishes, the Flute Boy is shown back in his normal form, reunited with his father and playing again for the forest creatures in the Haunted Grove.
The Man in Tavern, as seen in Ancient Stone Tablets
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 228(ALttP)
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 388 (ALttP)
- "My son really liked to play the flute, but he went to search for the Golden Power and never returned." — Man in Tavern (A Link to the Past)
- "...mumble mumble... Oh? This is my son's flute...! Did you meet my son? Where is he? Is he all right? ... ... ... ... Oh, I see... Well, I can tell what you want to say by the look in your eyes... Would you keep the flute?" — Man in Tavern (A Link to the Past)
- "And will you play its sweet melody for the bird in the village square? I beg of you, please! My son would probably want it this way..." — Man in Tavern (A Link to the Past)