The Mad Batter is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He sleeps in altars found in underground caves, and Link may awaken him by sprinkling Magic Powder on these altars. The bat creature will then curse Link to punish him for having been released, but he inadvertently helps Link out by providing upgrades as his curse.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, his altar is found in a hole next to the Dwarven Swordsmiths' Smithery. The hole can be reached by pounding the stake blocking the way with the Magic Hammer or by using the Magic Mirror in the Dark World to travel immediately above the well, and then jumping down. Once inside, Link can go north to an altar and sprinkle the Magic Powder. The Mad Batter will appear, who will both scold and thank Link for waking him. This confusing shift in his dialogue continues until he finally casts a spell on Link, halving his Magic Meter. In reality, this causes Link to consume half the magic power he normally would with pertaining items.
The Mad Batter shows up in three different locations throughout Link's Awakening: the Mysterious Woods, Martha's Bay, and Tal Tal Heights. The Mad Batter serves the same purpose wherever he is seen: to increase Link's inventory. His altars are always found underground and look like lamps. When Link tosses Magic Powder on them, the creature appears in a ball of light form before taking a bat-like form. Upset about being awakened from his sleep, the Mad Batter speaks in a purposely confusing way. The creature will triple Link's capacity for carrying Bombs and Arrows and double that of his Magic Powder, thinking he's troubling the hero by burdening him with more equipment. Link can choose whether to be "punished" or not, as the creature will ask "Are you ready?!" before he casts a spell. However, if Link declines, the Mad Batter will only change the option of what equipment he will increase.
In Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, the Mad Batter is called Li'l Devil and appears more demonic;[name reference needed] however, his role remains virtually the same. His color was changed to a more muted brownish-purple color.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Chauve-Souris (ALttP | LA)||Bat|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 57
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 228 (ALttP) & 233 (LA)
- "Hey! Blast you for waking me from my deep, dark sleep! ...I mean, thanks a lot, sir! But now I will get my revenge on you. Get ready for it! ...Err, is that OK with you, sir?" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- "Heh heh heh! I laugh at your misfortune! Now your magic power will drop by one-half! Congratulations! Now, do you best, even though I'm sure it won't be enough! Have a nice day! See you!" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 125
- "Hey, Kid! You woke me up from a fine nap!! ...Thanks a lot! But now, I'll get my revenge! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Okay, I'll let you carry more Bombs! He He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Fine, I'll let you have more arrows! Heh Heh! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I'll let you carry more Magic Powder! He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Heh Heh Heh! You deserve it! Now look at all that junk you have to carry! Hah! Take care! See you again!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 91
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 228
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 233