Guardian of the Lanayru Province
Lanayru is one of the four Spirits of Light in Twilight Princess. It protects the Lanayru Province and appears in the form of a serpent. Lanayru is named after the dragon of the same name from the Era of the Goddess Hylia.
As part of Zant's plan to take over Hyrule, the Shadow Beasts were ordered to steal the light of the Spirits. When Link succeeds in dispelling the Twilight from the Lanaryu Province and restores the Spirit's power, Lanayru explains how the Fused Shadows were formed by the power of a race of magic wielders, known as the Dark Interlopers, in an attempt to control the Sacred Realm. However, before they were successful, the Goddesses summoned the three light spirits to intervene. The light spirits sealed away their magic into the Fused Shadows, and the Dark Interlopers were chased across Hyrule into the Gerudo Desert, where they were then banished to the Twilight Realm by the Goddesses.
When Zant attacks Midna and Link at Lanayru's spring after they find the last Fused Shadow, Lanayru appears and attempts to attack Zant, but is knocked back. Zant then either magically forces Lanayru to shine its light on Midna, or simply stops exerting his influence and allowing it to resurface, gravely injuring her. Lanayru teleports both Midna and Link away to relative safety. Along with the other Light Spirits, Lanayru heals Midna at the end of the game.
Lanayru's name is a reference to the golden goddess, Nayru.
|Names in Other Regions|
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — PRIMA Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 179
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 276(TP)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — PRIMA Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 14
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 116
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 74
- "Those people who make a living off of those coming to worship at the lake must be struggling..." — Hylian (Twilight Princess)
- "My brethren in Hyrule have already had their light stolen by these fell beasts." — Ordona (Twilight Princess)
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. [...] You know this magic... It is the dark power you seek...the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "...Do you remember what the spirit said about the Fused Shadows? What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)