|King of Red Lions|
The Wind Waker
The King of Red Lions is a talking sailboat that Link meets after he is tossed out into the Great Sea upon being caught by the Helmaroc King in the Forsaken Fortress. It is with this boat that Link is able to move from one island to another. Good-spirited and filled with wisdom, the King of Red Lions speaks to Link and explains what is currently happening and what he needs to do next. He can glimpse Link's various adventures apart from him through the Pirate's Charm, which he also uses to give the hero hints.
The boat can be operated with multiple items in Link's arsenal, such as the Sail. When attached to the mast, it allows for easy sailing to the prevailing direction of the wind. In The Wind Waker HD, Link can also obtain the Swift Sail from the nightly Windfall Auction at Windfall Island. The upgrade increases the boat's sailing speed and automatically changes the direction of the wind to the boat's heading. This assures full sailing speed in all directions and eliminates the need for the "Wind's Requiem" while at sea. The Grappling Hook can be used with the salvage crane to retrieve items from the bottom of the Great Sea. Bombs will give the ship a cannon to fire at enemies.
Later in the game, it is revealed that the boat is actually Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, the king of Hyrule who lives under the sea. The King of Red Lions is last seen at the end of the game, lifeless, as the King chooses to remain in Hyrule after the final battle. Link is seen departing from Outset Island in the boat to search for a new land alongside Tetra and her pirate crew.
|Link & the King of Red Lions (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
Link & the King of Red Lions
|Birthplace: Outset Island|
Favored Hand: Left
The Hero of Wind, Link uses the Wind Waker to control the wind and sail the seas on his mysterious boat (which is actually the King of Hyrule).
Surprisingly, he seems to have an unnatural interest in figurines and has at last completed his collection! He is now the master of the Nintendo Gallery.
- If the King of Red Lions is struck with any of Link's weapons, he will react to the attack and turn red.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Lion Rouge (TWWHD)||Red Lion|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Well met, Hyrule King!" — Jabun (The Wind Waker HD)
- "The King of Red Lions likely expects great deeds of you—it is why he brought you here. I am sorry to ask this of you, but can you go rescue young Makar for me?" — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 258 (TWW)
- "Did I startle you? I suppose that is only natural. As wide as the world is, I am the only boat upon it who can speak the words of men." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "In that case, I shall guide you as we go forward.. advising you on what you should do, and where you must go." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "You got a boat's sail! Set it to (Y), (Z), or (X), then use it while on your boat to sail across the sea." — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, do you not recognize my voice? Indeed, I am the one who guided you here. I am the King of Red Lions." — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 258