His Royal High-Tops
Princess Styla (daughter)
Prior to the events of the game, King Tuft's daughter, Princess Styla, was cursed by Lady Maud to wear an irremovable tacky jumpsuit. The princess's curse had struck fear into the people of Hytopia, who started to dress less fashionably in fear they would be cursed too. King Tuft agonized for his daughter and people. As only chosen heroes can enter the witch's domain, the Drablands, King Tuft issued a request to kingdoms near and far for worthy heroes, hoping they could put a stop to Lady Maud and save his daughter. The king however had set strict requirements in his search for a hero: they would have to share the traits of the fabled heroes in his kingdom's prophecy, the Tri Force Heroes. The king believes that one day the Tri Force Heroes will arrive and save the kingdom, and bring everlasting peace and style to Hytopia after overcoming all challenges. King Tuft sought out heroes with pointed ears, long sideburns, a side-parted hairstyle, and the ability to form a Totem; all of these traits of the Tri Force Heroes. A great reward was promised to those who succeeded.
Many would-be heroes came and went, until Link arrived in the kingdom and was later drafted into its Witch-Hunting Brigade. Paired with other Links, they eventually cleared the Woodlands area of the Drablands together, and Link was later summoned by King Tuft. He was impressed by Link's achievements and believes him to be one of the legendary Tri Force Heroes. He encourages Link to continue to conquer the Drablands and best all of its challenges to become a true Tri Force Hero.
Whenever Link completes all of the challenges of a given Area, King Tuft will reward him with a unique, rare Material exclusive to that Area that can normally only be found through the Coliseum. After Link completes all 128 challenges and clears the Completion List, King Tuft will reward him with a gold Rupee worth 300 Rupees for his efforts.
After the Links defeat Lady Maud, and they craft The Lady's Ensemble, whose power can lift Princess Styla's curse, Link leaves for the castle to see King Tuft and Styla. King Tuft had been informed by Madame Couture of the Outfit and her relation with Lady Maud prior. With the creation of the Outfit, King Tuft is assured he will not have to press serious charges on Lady Maud. He tells Link to use the Outfit's power right away. Link lifts the curse from Styla, returning her to normal. King Tuft is overjoyed and grateful to see his daughter returned to her former self. He holds a big celebration in town to celebrate and personally invites Link as a royal decree. During the celebration, he lifts Link onto his shoulders, who is then lifted by Sir Combsly, forming a Totem.
After the celebration ends, King Tuft sends a letter to Link requesting that he come visit for his promised reward. Upon visiting him, King Tuft gives him Styla's cursed tights as his reward, considering it as a collector's item. He encourages Link to continue to conquer the Drablands' challenges.
Tuft refers to a cluster of threads weaved through fabrics while knitting. It can also refer to a tuft of hair, referencing King Tuft's hairstyle.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||カールキング王 (Kārukingu Ō)||Possibly "King Curlking", referencing his hairstyle|
|FrenchEU||Roi Frisette||King Curl|
|SpanishEU||Rey Rízor||From rizo, "curl"|
|SpanishLA||Rey Rízor||From rizo, "curl"|
- "What are you thinking, boy? You can't see the king without your Hero's Tunic!
I won't allow you to keep His Royal High-Tops waiting. Now hurry over to Madame's shop and make that outfit!" — Sir Combsly (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Hytopia was once a picturesque and peaceful kingdom, ruled over by the great King Tuft. His daughter, the beloved Princess Styla, was a sweet and fashionable inspiration to all. Then it happened. One fateful day, the witch of the Drablands cursed the princess with an ugly and irremovable outfit. It doesn't stop there. A rumor began to spread that anyone stylish was in danger of being cursed. That's how Hytopia lost its signature style. And that's why the king formed a witch-hunting brigade. He's hoping that new Tri Force Heroes will rise to save Hytopia from despair, just like in the legends of old..." — Sir Combsly (Tri Force Heroes)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 305
- "The worst part is that, ever since Princess Styla became cursed, Hytopia and its people have fallen into despair. Everyone is afraid of fashion now, lest they become cursed as well. Hytopia has never looked so drab..." — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "The king, too, was in agony. As only chosen heroes may enter the witch's domain, the despicable Drablands, King Tuft issued a call to kingdoms near and far for a hero to save the day." — N/A (Tri Force Heroes)
- "But I believe. I must! I believe the Legendary Tri Force Heroes will appear once more and save our kingdom!" — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Speaking of Tri Force Heroes, there's more to the legend than most people know. The story goes... "When the Tri Force Heroes overcome all challenges, Hytopia will be blessed with everlasting peace and style."" — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "WANTED: TRI FORCE HEROES!! Do you have pointed ears, truly epic sideburns, and side-parted hair? If so, YOU may be a Tri-Force Hero! Our kingdom needs such heroes to defeat the evil witch and lift the curse placed on Princess Styla. Whoever succeeds in this most noble of tasks will be rewarded to the fullest extent of my extensive power. So sayeth King Tuft, ruler of Hytopia!" — Sign (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Naturally, I believe YOU to be the hero of legend, destined to lead our fair kingdom to eternal greatness!" — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "As such, I must earnestly encourage you to best all Drablands challenges and become a true Tri Force Hero!" — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Oh! Ah yes, I hear you have conquered a Drablands challenge... Why didn't you say something sooner! So modest! The mark of a true hero, I say. As promised, your reward for besting the Drablands challenge of the Woodlands. Use it well!" — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)
- "So that's The Lady's Ensemble... I've heard the full story from Madame Couture. Good of her to make this for you. If not for that outfit, that witch would be facing some serious charges, not to mention a king's wrath." — King Tuft (Tri Force Heroes)