To ready an attack, King Dodongo inhales air and releases a blast of damaging flame if allowed to inhale completely. During this time, Link can toss Bombs, or a nearby Bomb Flower, into its mouth. If successful, the bomb will explode inside, causing King Dodongo to collapse. King Dodongo is vulnerable to Sword attacks at this time, the Critical Point of the battle. If Link does not apply enough damage during the Critical Point, King Dodongo will rear up, curl into a ball, and roll around the arena. If Link stands close to the lava, the external walls, or hides beneath or behind the Shield, he can avoid damage. King Dodongo hits an arena wall at the end of its rampage; it unfolds and moves about until Link is close enough to target again, repeating the cycle.
When defeated, King Dodongo curls into a ball and rolls into the lava pit. The lava hardens, trapping King Dodongo, half-submerged. Link receives a Heart Container as a reward.
- King Dodongo and Volvagia share a battle theme that is different from the one that plays for all the other bosses in Ocarina of Time.
- King Dodongo has the lowest amount of health in Ocarina of Time. It can be defeated with two Jump Attacks while using Deku Sticks.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||猛炎古代竜 (Mōen Kodai Ryū) (OoT)|
キングドドンゴ (Kingu Dodongo) (OoT)
Same as English.
|German||König Dodongo (HWDE)||King Dodongo|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 187 (OoT)
- LightVoidGamer, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - King Dodongo Speed Run in 23 Seconds/No Damage, YouTube, published October 18, 2015, retrieved April 10, 2016.
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 145
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 143