Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Keaton Mask is the first mask Link obtains in the Mask Trading Sequence. After showing Zelda's Letter to the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper in Kakariko Village, he asks Link to get the mask for his son, as he is too busy guarding the gate. After showing the Mask to him, it can be sold for 15 Rupees, giving Link a 5 Rupee revenue.
The Keaton character is renowned throughout Hyrule as a popular figure, predominately among children. However, most reactions from adults are of nostalgia, confusion or admiration. Goron and Zora interactions result in a simple answer, with the exception of important characters such as King Zora, Darunia, and Princess Ruto.
In Majora's Mask, the Keaton Mask can be used to summon a Keaton. To do this, Link must stand in any ring of moving bushes and cut them all before they disappear. Once summoned, he will ask Link questions about the game, each with three choices. There are a total of thirty questions that could possibly be asked. If Link gets all of the correct, the young hero will be awarded with a Piece of Heart. If a question is answered incorrectly, Link must leave the area and then come back to try again.
Kafei wears the Mask to keep his identity hidden from the residents of Clock Town. The Keaton Mask is obtained from the Man from the Curiosity Shop in Kafei's hideout, after delivering the Letter to Kafei. It requires Link to go to Kafei's hideout at 1:00 in the afternoon on the Final Day.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Sticker||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Usable by|
Kafei & Keaton Mask
|Majora's Mask||Shield Recovery +10||All|
In Hyrule Warriors, Young Link wears the Keaton Mask; however, it is simply a cosmetic item as Young Link keeps it on his head for most of the time, putting it on only in a taunting animation. Keaton Masks are Gold Materials which are dropped by Young Link in Hyrule Warriors Legends and Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition.
- In version 1.0 of Ocarina of Time, the Keaton Mask was erroneously named the "Keatan Mask" on the item screen.
- In The Wind Waker, the Keaton Mask appears alongside the Bunny Hood, Goron Mask, and All-Night Mask behind the counter of the Nintendo Gallery. It can be seen hanging on the wall next to Carlov.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||キータンのお面 (Kītan no Omen) (OoT)||Same as English.|
|German||Links Maske (HWDE)||Link's Mask|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 128 (OoT | MM)
- "Have you been to the Happy Mask Shop that just opened in the Hyrule Castle Town Market? Everyone is talking about it! My little boy pesters me for a popular mask, but I don't have time to go there...So, could you go and get the mask for me next time you are in the Market? If you don't feel like it, that's OK, but... Well, I have no choice, this is my job...sigh..." — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! It's a Keaton Mask!! I asked my daddy to get me one, too!" — Graveyard Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- "Keaton stuff is hot, hot, hot!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh wow! It's Keaton! Hi, Keaton!" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, I know that character! It's Keaton! He's very hot in Hyrule Castle Town right now!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Wow... how nostalgic! That reminds me of when I was a little kid." — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "YEEEAH! What's your problem?!" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Awww... That's so cute! Could you tell me where you found it?" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hrrrrm... I don't know what to say." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "What do you want?" — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Are you trying to make me laugh? Well, that's not that funny..." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ho ho ho! You Hylians... you are such silly creatures!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "You're a funny guy!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices..." — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Hee-hee-ho! Good! Very good! Take this prize!" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "All it took was one glance at that Keaton Mask he was carrying for me to realize that I was looking at my old friend. I gave him that mask a long time ago when he was just li'l Kafei. Didn't know he kept it that well for so long..." — Man from Curiosity Shop (Majora's Mask)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 148
- "Links Maske" — Apothecary (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
|Ocarina of Time Mask Trading Sequence|
|Keaton Mask > Skull Mask > Spooky Mask > Bunny Hood|
Gerudo Mask - Goron Mask - Zora Mask - Mask of Truth
|Masks in Majora's Mask|