Ocarina of Time
In ancient times, Rauru built the Temple of Time. Afterwards, he remained within the Temple of Light, only leaving the Sacred Realm as Kaepora Gaebora, his owl form. According to a Gossip Stone, he is rumored to be the reincarnation of an ancient Sage.
After Link defeats Gohma and leaves the Kokiri Forest, Kaepora Gaebora is found for the first time in the edge of the woods in Hyrule Field, where it directs Link to Hyrule Castle. Afterwards, it constantly appears before Link in various areas. Kaepora Gaebora can transport Link to various locations, including a secret entrance to a house in Kakariko Village where a Piece of Heart is located.
In the world of Termina, Kaepora Gaebora makes two appearances. In the Southern Swamp beside the entrance to Woodfall, it teaches Link the "Song of Soaring", which allows him to warp between the various Owl Statues. It says that the act of playing the song binds them as eternal friends.
Kaepora Gaebora later reappears in the Goron Village of Snowhead, inquiring if his Owl Statues have been helpful, and hoping that Link has the courage to change Termina's doomed future. It guides Link to the Lens of Truth by dropping its feathers on each of the invisible platforms that form the path to the Lone Peak Shrine. Later, Darmani's ghost hints that Kaepora Gaebora had told him that Link would soon be coming. This implies that Kaepora Gaebora led Link to the Lens of Truth so he would be able to help the lingering spirit of Darmani.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Kaepora Gaebora first appears when he finds the Links collapsed in Lake Hylia after drawing the Four Sword. He then appears again throughout Hyrule to give the Links advice on how to proceed.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Kaepora Gaebora — Spirit Battle Information
Kaepora Gaebora — Spirit Information
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Kaepora Gaebora appears as a Spirit with the ability, Fog Immunity, which prevents fog from covering stages.
The Japanese onomatopoeia ぼらぼら (bora bora) may be the inspiration for his name, as this word means "one after another; a repetition," characterizing Gaebora's repeated appearances and offers to repeat information.
Alternatively, "Kaepora" may be a form of the Hebrew word "Kippur" or "Keporah" (כיפור in the Hebrew alphabet, which can be transliterated as either of the former), meaning "Atonement", while "Gaebora" may be a corruption of "Gibborah" or "Gibbor" (גבור in Hebrew, which can, again, be transliterated as either of the former), meaning "Hero". Using the Hebrew grammar rules, this would mean that "Kaepora Gaebora" may be intended to mean "Hero's Atonement."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||怪鳥ケポラ・ゲボラ (Kaichō Kepora Gebora) (OoT)||Kaepora Gaebora the Mysterious Bird|
|FrenchEU||Kaepora Gaebora (OoT)|
Grand hibou (MM3D)
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Gaepora's name from Skyward Sword shares a resemblance to Kaepora Gaebora's. Gaepora also laughs with an owl-like "Hoo, hoo, hoo." He also shares some physical similarities; his eyebrows and triangular beard correlate with some of Kaepora Gaebora's characteristics. His golden pendant resembles Kaepora Gaebora's forehead mark upside down. Gaepora also bears a resemblance to Kaepora Gaebora's true form, Rauru.
- Kaepora Gaebora was referred to as Kepola Gebola and the Great Owl in the The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide by Versus Books and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D — Prima Official Game Guide by Prima Games, respectively. However, as these contradict the name given in Encyclopedia, they are not considered Canon.
- "They say that strange owl, Kaepora Gaebora, may look big and heavy, but its character is rather lighthearted." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 51
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 60
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239(OoT) & 244(MM)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide (Versus Books) pg. 39
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 7
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 87
- "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoot! Link... Look up here! It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times! Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 38
- "From the first time you play this song, we shall become eternal friends, transcending time and place!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! We meet again, fairy child! Have my stone statues been of help?" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Well, it seems you may have the strength to change the fate of this land as I had expected. But the road ahead is even more challenging. Many trials await you. Please watch over these Gorons around you. Their land is doomed to be smothered in snow and ice forever. It will become a land where no living thing can survive. Without courage and determination, you surely will collapse from the extreme conditions... But if that courage and determination burns bright within you, then that's another story..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! You are a child of many strengths! Well, perhaps you do have enough strength to change the fate of this mountain after all." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "I shall take to the air now, flying toward that shrine across the way, so follow behind me. Do not be daunted by appearances. Instead, let your feelings guide you, and the true path shall open before you. Are you ready? Follow behind me!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! I have certainly been assured of your courage and determination. From here on, you must not be fooled by appearances. You must rely on your feelings... Now, enter the shrine. Something that will aid you in your quest lies within. Use that item when returning from here." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "The soaring one said the one who could see me would be arriving soon... It seems that it turned out to be true." — Darmani III (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo hoot! At last, you're awake, Link. I am Kaepora Gaebora. Mine is the voice you've been hearing since you left the Four Sword Sanctuary." — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I know you are worried about finding Vaati, but you must not act rashly. Find the six shrine maidens and find Princess Zelda, and you will also find Vaati. As for that dark shadow... Let's call him Shadow Link. That one is up to no good. Your sword is weak, but you can restore its power by infusing it with Force Gems. Hoo hoo! The four of you must move together as one! I must fly, but we will meet again on the road ahead!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 140
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 244
- "[O]ddly enough, Gaepora tends to laugh with an owl-like "hoo, hoo, hoo."" (Nindendo Power Issue 272, October 2011 (Future US) pg. 60)