Jolene keeps a vigilant eye out for her old friend Linebeck, with whom Link travels, so that she might get her revenge on him. If she spots the SS Linebeck, she will attack and ambush. If this happens, Link must fight off Jolene, and if he is successful, Linebeck will reward him. For every consecutive ambush, Linebeck will reward Link with progressively higher Rupee rewards, beginning with a Blue Rupee and ending with a giant Red Rupee, after which he will stop giving rewards.
At one point in the game, Link is mistakenly given a letter addressed from Jolene to her sister, Joanne, a woman who dresses up as a Mermaid and lives on Bannan Island. Link is asked by the Postman to deliver the letter to its rightful recipient. Doing so prompts Joanne to reward him with a Wisdom Gem and, later, a Ship Part through the postal service.
After Link returns the three Pure Metals to Zauz in order to forge the Phantom Sword, Jolene sends him a letter asking for a final battle. After Link defeats her, Linebeck will tell him the story of how they met.
Linebeck, by accident, once saved Jolene from a monster when he was actually trying to escape. This led Jolene and Linebeck to travel together, until Linebeck stole a part of her treasure and ran away. Since then, she has followed Linebeck around looking for revenge. However, according to Linebeck, the treasure he stole "wasn't even a good treasure." Jolene herself says, after their final duel, that Link had "eyes like the man who captivated" her and tells Linebeck to "take notes." This hints at a possible romantic attachment to Linebeck. Linebeck's apparent ignorance of this leads Ciela to call him "dense."
Phantom Hourglass Manga
In the Phantom Hourglass manga by Akira Himekawa, Jolene first appears when Link, Ciela, and Linebeck learn of Oshus's true identity and set sail to stop Bellum. Jolene boards their ship and attacks Link, mistaking him for Linebeck. Jolene soon discovers his hiding place in a crate. She threatens him and he asks her what he did to her. Link rushes in and interrupts them, saying that they need Linebeck and asking her to delay her revenge. Jolene suddenly notices Tetra and questions Link how she was turned to stone. Link informs her of his journey, while Linebeck uses the distraction to sneak out of the crate. Jolene glances at him out of the corner of her eye and attempts to stab him. Link asks what her relationship to Linebeck is, commenting that they "seem connected." Jolene then tells him her past. Three years ago, on a small pirate ship, Jolene was attacked by a monster. Linebeck defeated the monster, though, according to him, it was an accident. Jolene then asks him to join her, but soon, Linebeck snuck off alone with a treasure. At this point, Linebeck returns the treasure, which happens to be three-year-old squid jerky. Jolene tells him that the real reason she is so mad is that he left her. Ciela scolds Linebeck, telling him that he should try to be more sensitive to Jolene's feelings. Jolene kicks Linebeck, telling him that she does not care about him. Linebeck apologizes, but Bellum appears and possesses him. Jolene leaves to find Zauz to forge the Phantom Sword. After Jolene leaves, Bellum tells Link that people who are feeling either friendship or love have more life force, and that is why it possessed Linebeck. After Link defeats Bellumbeck, Jolene arrives and gives Link the Phantom Sword. Link then rushes off to defeat Bellum.
Jolene is last seen directly before Link and Tetra are sent back to their world.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ジョリーン (Jorīn)||Same as English.|
- "Little boy in green! So you got me, and got me good! Humiliation burns hot in my pirate blood! And so, my mind is haunted with this one, searing word... REVENGE! Yes! I demand a rematch to see who's truly the strongest on the sea! I've sharpened my skills since last we clashed. I am unbeatable! All will fall beneath my blade. Oh, yes. Somewhere on these vast seas our paths will cross again. If you have any honor at all, you will meet me in battle one last time! The mighty She-Pirate, Jolene" — Letter (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well... I made off with some of her treasure..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 282(PH)
- "Well, it was a while ago. I was just cruising through these waters... Anyway, I happened to sail by just as her ship was attacked by a monster. What can I say? I slammed into the beast with my ship and saved the day!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well, if I'm being totally honest here, I was just trying to get away, see. I sort of lost control of my ship, and it just happened to strike the beast..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "So after that, Jolene and I traveled together for a time, but... Pretty soon, I realized that the two of us were from different worlds. Yeah... It's kind of embarrassing, but she was a LOT tougher than I. Plus, I just wasn't cut out for the rough-and-tumble life of a pirate! Yeah, I always preferred the laid-back style of just sneaking off with treasure. Anyway, Jolene and I started seeing less and less of each other... I knew I had to end it, and well...you know..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Ha ha! Anyway, ever since, Jolene has been trying to get her revenge on me! The thing is, it wasn't even that great of a treasure. I didn't think it was worth so much that she'd follow me around like this! That is one persistent woman, let me tell you." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I think that what you're attempting to do is crazy, and yet... There is something about your stubborn personality that...draws me. The one who captivated me so long ago had that same look in his eyes." — Jolene (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Boy in green, speak to the man in the crate for me. Advise him that he should take notes, for he might learn something." — Jolene (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh...Linebeck. You really are dense, aren't you?" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Prepare yourself, Linebeck! Your luck has finally run out! Hmm... You aren't Linebeck. Who are you?" (Phantom Hourglass manga (VizKids) pg. 142)
- "Look, we need... Linebeck to take us to this Zauz guy so we can defeat Bellum. And we're in a hurry. So can your revenge wait?" (Phantom Hourglass manga (VizKids) pg. 144)
- "What's your relationship to Linebeck? You... Seem connected." (Phantom Hourglass manga (VizKids) pg. 146)
- "I was too embarrassed to tell them... That I panicked and sailed into the monster by mistake. I was trying to sail the other way!" (Phantom Hourglass manga (VizKids) pg. 148)
- "Linebeck, you really are an idiot. you need to be more sensitive to how she feels." (Phantom Hourglass manga (VizKids) pg. 149)