|Hyrule Castle Courtyard|
Features and Overview
Ocarina of Time
The Castle Courtyard is a small, open enclosure inside Hyrule Castle. In order to speak to Princess Zelda, Link must infiltrate Hyrule Castle and visit her within the Courtyard. There, Princess Zelda explains that she had a prophetic dream warning of a dark force attempting to corrupt Hyrule. She then shows Link a window where he can spot Ganondorf, who intends to steal the Triforce from its resting place in the Sacred Realm, the Temple of Time. In order to counter Ganondorf, Princess Zelda devised a plan to keep the tools necessary to enter the Sacred Realm, the Ocarina of Time and the Spiritual Stones, out of his reach. To this end, she tasks Link with the responsibility of retrieving the remaining two Spiritual Stones. Princess Zelda then gives him a Letter granting him permission to ascend Death Mountain Trail. Afterwards, she orders Impa to teach Link her Lullaby and help escort him out of the Castle.
If Link strikes the western window with a Deku Seed, a Soldier will appear and berate him before throwing a Bomb in his direction. The eastern window contains scenery from New Super Mario Bros..[note 1]
The Castle Courtyard is only accessible during the day, since Soldiers that cannot be bypassed will be stationed just in front of the secret entrance at night. After Princess Zelda flees from the Castle, the aforementioned Soldiers will be stationed at the secret entrance at all times, rendering the entire area inaccessible.
Breath of the Wild
The Hyrule Castle Courtyard composes the majority of the exterior of Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild. It follows a sprawling and branching road that connects to key locations within the Castle. The primary road leads through three major compounds: the First Gatehouse, the Second Gatehouse, and the Sanctum. It begins at the Hyrule Castle Gate, which winds around to the entrance to the Guards' Chamber before passing through the First Gatehouse. After the First Gatehouse, the road splits twice. The first split of the road leads through a garden beneath the tower containing Princess Zelda's Room, continuing on to the Dining Hall on the southeast side of the Castle before reconnecting with the primary road a short distance after it initially splits. The main road continues through the Second Gatehouse before wrapping around and leading up into the Sanctum. The road between the First and Second Gatehouse is obstructed by a Pool of Malice, which can be partially dispelled by destroying a Glowing Eyeball on the eastern side of the Malice.
Prior to the second Great Calamity, the Hyrule Castle Courtyard was used by Sheikah scientists to research and control the Guardians they excavated from beneath Hyrule Castle, as seen in the Recovered Memory, "Father and Daughter". After Calamity Ganon escaped its seal beneath Hyrule Castle, it spread its Malice to the Guardians populating the Courtyard, seizing control of them and using them to assail Hyrule Castle, initiating the second Great Calamity that spread to the rest of Hyrule Kingdom.
|Names in Other Regions|
|SpanishLA||Foso del castillo||Castle Moat|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Creating a Champion pg. 236
- "Castle Courtyard" — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I had a dream... In the dream, dark storm clouds were billowing over the land of Hyrule... But suddenly, a ray of light shot out of the forest, parted the clouds, and lit up the ground... The light turned into a figure holding a green and shining stone, followed by a fairy..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I was spying through this window just now... The other element from my dream... the dark clouds... I believe they symbolise...that man in there! Will you look through the window at him?" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Can you see the man with the evil eyes? That is Ganondorf, the leader of the Gerudo. They hail from the desert far to the west. Though he swears allegiance to my father, I am sure he is not sincere. The dark clouds that covered Hyrule in my dream... They must symbolise that man!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "What Ganondorf is after must be nothing less than the Triforce of the Sacred Realm. He must have come to Hyrule to obtain it! And, he wants to conquer Hyrule... No, the entire world!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "We must not let Ganondorf get the Triforce! I will protect the Ocarina of Time with all my power! He shall not have it! You go find the other two Spiritual Stones! Let's get the Triforce before Ganondorf does...and then defeat him!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "One more thing... Take this letter... I'm sure it will be helpful to you." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I am Impa of the Sheikah. I am responsible for protecting Princess Zelda. Everything is exactly as the Princess foretold." — Impa (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "My role in the princess's dream was to teach a melody to the one from the forest. This is an ancient melody passed down by the Royal Family. I have played this song for Princess Zelda as a lullaby ever since she was a baby... There is mysterious power in these notes. Now listen carefully..." — Impa (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Hey you! Don't cause any trouble!" — Soldier (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Foso del castillo" — Map (Breath of the Wild)