80 Rupees (OoT)
200 Rupees (TP)
3,000 Rupees (BotW)
Blocking fire, electric, and curse attacks
Hylian Shields are recurring Items in The Legend of Zelda series. It is the traditional Shield bore by the Knights of Hyrule and is commonly used by Link in 3D Zelda games. Unlike Wooden Shields, the Hylian Shield will not burn upon contact with fire. Though it is made of steel, it is light and sturdy, an optimal weight for a fighter with a one-handed weapon. Throughout the Zelda games, the Hylian Shield has changed little in terms of overall appearance, always bearing the symbol of the Triforce and, beneath it, a red Hylian Crest representing the goddess Hylia and the Crimson Loftwing that helped Link at the founding of Hyrule. The first Hylian Shield was a legendary Shield guarded by the Thunder Dragon Lanayru, who created the Lightning Round to judge whether someone would be worthy of wielding the Shield.
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Location and Uses
- Main article: Shield
While the Hylian Shield did not appear in the original or DX versions of Link's Awakening, the Shield was given the appearance of the Hylian Shield in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch. It it received from Tarin after Link wakes up on Koholint Island.
Ocarina of Time
The Hylian Shield can either be purchased or found by Link as a child in Ocarina of Time. Emblazoned with Hylian artwork, complete with a Crimson Loftwing and the Triforce, the Hylian Shield is much too large for young Link to wield on his arm and functions more like a turtle's shell. After his seven year sleep, Link became able to use it as his standard Shield.
The Hylian Shield becomes almost necessary to survive a visit to the Great Fairy in Death Mountain, as child Link's 'turtle shell' use of the Shield protects from recurrent flaming rock eruptions. It is also not prone to the risk of being burnt by particular fire-borne enemies, such as the Fire Keese. However, the Hylian Shield can be consumed by the Shield-eating Like Likes if Link is swallowed by one. Child Link's use of the Shield limits mobility while defending and does not provide as much adequate protection from the front as the Deku Shield (and the Hylian Shield as an adult) and is similarly unable to reflect Deku Scrub and Octorok attacks, but it can defend Link from the Boulders that rain from Death Mountain. The guard at the gates of Kakariko Village (leading to Death Mountain) can offer Link a discount in correspondence with the owner of the Bazaar in Hyrule Castle Town. If Link speaks to the guard and then attempts to purchase the Hylian Shield at normal price at the Bazaar in the Market, the shop owner will give Link a discount of random values in intervals of 5 Rupees between a total price of 45 to 75 Rupees. However, the Shield cannot be bought even with the discount if Link does not have 80 Rupees. Despite the discount, a free Hylian Shield can be found if Link opens a certain grave at night in the Kakariko Village Graveyard.
In Twilight Princess, the Hylian Shield becomes available before entering the Goron Mines in the newly established Malo Mart in Kakariko Village for 200 Rupees. It can also be bought (for a slightly higher price of 210 Rupees) from a Goron in Hyrule Castle Town. Unlike the Wooden Shield and Ordon Shield, the Hylian Shield is indestructible as it is made of metal. However, it is unable to catch Arrows that strike it, merely deflecting them instead.
Its appearance is largely similar to its Ocarina of Time appearance, with some minor design changes. Unlike Ocarina of Time, the metal frame is thinner and the numerous rivets are replaced by three large bolts. The Triforce symbol has become smaller, now with metal framing it. In contrast, the Royal Crest is noticeably bigger and takes up the entire bottom half of the Hylian Shield. The inverted triangle at the bottom has been removed and two metal decals take its place.
As with all other Shields in Skyward Sword, the Hylian Shield is controlled by using the Nunchuk: by quickly thrusting the Nunchuk forward, Link will raise his Shield and use it to defend himself against enemy attacks. Unlike other Shields in the game, this Hylian Shield is imbued with heroic power, making it indestructible, with its durability bar permanently filled with a glowing blue color to signify this. Unlike its past appearances, the Hylian Shield cannot be obtained early on in the game, due to the nature of normal Shields as potentially temporary items with limited durability. It is the reward from the Thunder Dragon Lanayru's Lightning Round if Link wins eight fights consecutively and then quits.
The Hylian Shield's design originally was largely similar to that of Twilight Princess, albeit with brighter colors more akin to the original Ocarina of Time design. Sometime prior to E3 2011, the design was altered, removing the silver rim around the Triforce and the metal ornamentation beneath the Crimson Loftwing design.
A Link Between Worlds
The Hylian Shield is found in Turtle Rock in A Link Between Worlds. When obtained, it replaces the standard Shield once obtained. Unlike the standard Shield, it can block magical attacks such as the beams fired by Beamos, as well as block the Lynels' fire breath, although it cannot reflect them back.
Although the Shield is referred to as a Hylian Shield and bears the Hyrulean Triforce, it is not known or explained how it came to be housed in a Lorulean dungeon.
Breath of the Wild
Hyrule Compendium Entry
The Hylian Shield is located in the Lockup of Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, guarded by a Stalnox. It is the strongest and most durable shield in the game, having a durability of 800 (up to 1160 with Durability Up +) and Defense rating of 90 (up to 144 with Guard Up +). Unlike Skyward Sword, the Hylian Shield isn't indestructible and will break like other shields. Once obtained within Hyrule Castle, it can be purchased from Granté in Tarrey Town for 3,000 Rupees, provided Link does not have one already. However, when purchased here, it does not come with a chance of being granted modifiers.
- While the Hylian Shield is made entirely of metal in Ocarina of Time, parts of the back of the Shield are made with wood in Ocarina of Time 3D. The difference in materials for the Shield can also be seen in the artwork of both games.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ハイリアの盾 (Hairia no Tate) (OoT)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Bouclier Hylien (OoT3D)||Hylian Shield|
|Modern Hebrew||Hylian Shield (Skyrim)|
|Italian||Scudo Hylia (BotW)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 127 (OoT | TP | SS | ALBW)
- "This is a big, heavy Shield just like the ones Hylian Knights use. It can stand up to flame attacks!" — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hylian Shield A shield with a Hylian crest. Defend against attacks with Z. It's metal and will never burn." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "You got the Hylian shield! Press Z to defend yourself. It's metal and will never burn." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "Though it is made of steel, it is light and sturdy, an optimal weight for a fighter with a one-handed weapon." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 84)
- "Our hero, who rescues the land that will later become Hyrule, rides a red bird. This is why the mark of a bird appears on his shield. However, since the design had already appeared, was this some herald of fate to come? Loftwings are modeled after birds called shoebills, and the idea for their curled tails came from the designer's pet shiba - Hiraoka, designer" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Comics) pg. 9)
- "The bird-like design that is painted to look as though it is protecting the Triforce is the mark of the goddess Hylia and also depicts the brilliant red Loftwing once ridden by the hero." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 84)
- "Yes, yes... The Thunder Dragon. The goddess gave the Thunder Dragon the power to protect the desert. This dragon possesses a legendary shield. It is truly one of its most prized treasures. It is said that the Thunder Dragon delights in testing those with promise in the hopes of someday finding a worthy recipient for the shield." — Eldin (Skyward Sword)
- "My current hot seller is the Hylian Shield, but it might be too big for you, kid." — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Fire Keese Destroy it before it flies into you! If you don't, its flames will burn up your Deku Shield!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Like Like
An enemy that eats shields and certain clothes. Beat it quickly to get your gear back!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "By the way, Mr. Hero... If you're going to climb Death Mountain, you should equip a proper shield! It is an active volcano, after all! If you go back to Hyrule Castle Town Market, you should check out the Bazaar. They sell the shield you need there. Tell 'em I sent you and they should give you a special discount!" — Guard (Ocarina of Time)
- "You heard about us from the guard at Death Mountain gate? Well, I have to give you a good deal then!" — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hylian Shield: 200 Rupees LIMITED SUPPLY! Don't let them sell out before you buy one!" — Malo (Twilight Princess)
- "I cannot sell it for as low a price as you might get in Kakariko Village, but for you, I can still make a decent bargain, Brother. Would you want a Hylian shield for 210 Rupees?" — Goron (Twilight Princess)
- "You got the Hylian Shield! This can protect you against magical attacks." — N/A (A Link Between Worlds)
- "A magic sword and shield that have accompanied Link on many adventures and helped him repeatedly save the land of Hyrule. This journey is no less dire, and Link once again goes into battle equipped with these items, this time in another world. These are well-balanced arms for Link." — N/A (Soulcalibur II)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 151
- "Bouclier Hylien
Un bouclier digne des chevaliers d'Hyrule. Il est léger, robuste et résiste au feu." — Inventory (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
אחרי שזכה במעל ל-200 תארי "משחק השנה", Skyrim מגיע לקונסולת ה-Nintendo Switch.
הרפתקת העולם הפתוח מאת Bethesda Games, בה אפשר להיות כל אחד ולעשות כל דבר, כעת הולכת איתכם לכל מקום – בבית ובדרכים! כעת עם פיצ'רים חדשים כמו שליטת תנועה, ציוד המבוסס על סדרת The Legend of Zelda ותמיכה ב-Amiibo.
הדרקונים, שאבדו בספרי ההיסטוריה, חזרו כעת והעתיד של סקיירים תלוי על בלימה. בתור Dragonborn, הגיבור שנחזה כי יוולד עם כוחות הדרקונים וישא את "הקול", אתם היחידים שיכולים לעמוד מולם.
חיו חיים אחרים, בעולם אחר – הילחמו בדרקונים עתיקים, חקרו הרים מלאי מסתורין, בנו בית או התמחו במאות נשקים, יכולות וכשפים. בפעם הראשונה – הילחמו עם ה-Master Sword, הגנו עם ה-Hylian Shield ולבשו את ה-Champion’s Tunic – מתוך המשחק The Legend of Zelda.
המשחק כולל גם את התוספות הרשמיות של המשחק: Dawnguard, Hearthfire ו-Dragonborn" — Nintendo, THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - משחקים ל-Switch, Official Israel Site, published n.d., retrieved May 10, 2019.