- Not to be confused with the Royal Crest.
The Hylian Crest is a recurring symbol in The Legend of Zelda series.[name reference needed] It is the mark of the Goddess Hylia and a crest of the Royal Family of Hyrule. The Hylian Crest is commonly used on Hylian weapons, armour, and architecture; most notably it appears on the Hylian Shield, where it represents the Crimson Loftwing that was ridden by the hero during the Sky Era. It is similar to the Wingcrest of the Hyrulean Royal Family, both being derived from the Goddess Crest used in the ancient Era of Hylia.
A Link to the Past
Depictions of avian figures similar to the Hylian Crest appeared in A Link to the Past, where artwork of the Fighter's Shield and Red Shield both show a stylized bird below the Triforce. Another winged figure is shown above the doorway of the Sanctuary.
Ocarina of Time
The current design of the Hylian Crest first appears in Ocarina of Time, shown in multiple locations within the game. The Hylian Shield of the Knights of Hyrule has the Crest with the Triforce above it and an inverted triangle below it. The clothing and jewelry worn by Princess Zelda has designs including the Hylian Crest with other symbols such as the Triforce and the Crest of the Sheikah.
The Wind Waker
The Hylian Crest is in multiple locations in Skyward Sword, including on the Hylian Shield, in the Temple of Time, and on an awakened Gate of Time. The Hylian Crest also appears on the game's logo. Skyward Sword also features its likely precursor, the Goddess Crest.
A Link Between Worlds
Breath of the Wild
The Hylian Crests is in many locations in Breath of the Wild. It is displayed throughout Hyrule Castle on banners, in sculptures, on the floor of the Sanctum, among other locations. The Crest is displayed on Weapons, Shields, and Armor used by Hyrule's Military, such as the Hylian Shield, Royal Guard's Series, Royal Guard Set, the Soldier's Set, and the Knight's Shield.
The Hylian Crest depicts a stylised image of the Crimson Loftwing
Zelda's dress and necklace as an adult in Ocarina of Time display the Hylian Crest
The Hylian Crest in the Lanayru Desert from Skyward Sword
- "A shield with a Hylian crest. Defend against attacks with [Z]. It's metal and will never burn." — Collection (Twilight Princess)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 84
- "ハイラル王家の紋章が刻まれた盾[L]で構えて防御鋼鉄製なので炎に触れてもなくならない (Shield with the crest of the Hyrulean Royal Family. Hold with [L] to defend. It’s made of steel, so it’s not lost even if you touch flames.)" — Collection (Twilight Princess, Japanese version)
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 164, 165
- Creating a Champion pg. 231–253
- Creating a Champion pg. 168, 184, 190