Hylia's chosen hero is a character who appeared in the era shortly after the creation of the world by the Golden Goddesses, thousands of years prior to the events of Skyward Sword. Although only briefly mentioned in the game, Hylia's chosen hero plays a significant role in the Skyward Sword manga by Akira Himekawa, where he is depicted as the earliest incarnation of Link. This has not been confirmed canonically. In the manga, the Goddess's Hero is clothed in Link's signature green garb, as well as a red cape and golden pauldrons. He is also depicted to be in his adult age rather than being a late teen.
- Main article: Era of the Goddess Hylia
Little is known about the chosen hero's backstory except that he used to live on the Surface during the Era of the Goddess Hylia. According to the legends, Hylia made him her chosen hero and gave her blessed Sailcloth to him.
The Hero's Successor
Eventually, the successor of the chosen hero was prophesied by his chooser, who was destined to fulfill his destiny as the goddess's second hero. Hylia created Fi, the spirit that resides in the Goddess Sword, and gave her the purpose of assisting the Hero's successor throughout his journey. Thousands of years later, the Hero's successor turned out to be Link from Skyloft.
Those who came after the chosen hero of the Goddess Hylia and his successor, Link, would be chosen to protect the Goddess Hylia's mortal descendants and protect the land of Hyrule from evil. As both of them are known to be the Goddess's chosen knights, most incarnations of Hylia's chosen hero will carry the bloodline of the Knights of Hyrule who protects the Royal Family of Hyrule, and therefore inherit the hero's spirit and courage. Future descendants of the chosen hero born into his knightly bloodline would be named after him for generations.
Skyward Sword (Himekawa)
The Hero's Return
Link becomes a knight of the land of Hylia, respected by the Hylian citizens and regarded as a hero. However, the hero is imprisoned for four years after his sword is broken, and he is deceived by Lord Dagianis, who is killed four years later by Demise. After his death, the people attempt to free the Knight of Hylia from his prison. They realize that he is the only one capable of saving the land from Demise's army of monsters, however Link has been weakened after four years. Still believing the hero will save them, they give him his repaired sword and his clothes, and freed him from his prison. The Knight of Hylia, Link, appears atop the castle, facing a crowd cheering for him. Gazing at the sky, he says to himself that he will fight for the Goddess Hylia forever as long as she needs him.
The Goddess and her Hero reunited
Ready to fight with his allies against Demise and his army, the Goddess Hylia suddenly appears in person, riding on an old Loftwing. The articulate Loftwing expresses his low opinion of the Hylians, saying that they are useless and didn't know the differences of deities and monsters. He could not believe that the hero who would ride him and face Demise could be among the people of the Surface. Link reveals himself as the Knight of Hylia and the hero whom they sought. He claims that, although humans may seem small in the eyes of the gods, there are those among them who possess great courage. The old Crimson Loftwing gains interest in Link, and orders him to show him how worthy he truly is while he departs. Meanwhile, the Goddess Hylia, sensing the Demon King's upcoming arrival to the Surface, convince to her people to escape to the sky with the Loftwing guiding them there. Hylia acknowledges her knight's unmatched valiance and honor and proclaims him again her chosen hero. She then allows him to wield her legendary weapon brought by the gods, the Master Sword. However, Link sorrowfully claims that he could not touch a holy sword, thinking that he is impure because he was imprisoned for years. Despite this, Hylia says that the Master Sword will decide whether he is impure or not, and asks him for his choice; to seek revenge on the surface's people who imprisoned him or to save the world from its terrible fate. Hylia's chosen hero decides that he will always stand with his friends and accepts the Master Sword from the goddess.
In order for the hero to wield the Master Sword, Link has broken the blade and reforged it. When suddenly, Demise eventually came with his army of monsters.
The Battle Against Demise
The war had already begun, the Goddess Hylia and her chosen hero's army had been fighting Demise and his army of monsters for a week. The world's tribes supports Link and the Hylians on the war, fighting the demons, and the hero is facing Demise on his own. Unfortunately, Demise was unbeatable and the hero is critically wounded by the Demon King by one hit. As he was about to pass on, the Goddess's Loftwing allows him to ride on his back and fight together. The hero asks for the Loftwing's guidance to show his people to the skies, to which the Loftwing agrees to as long as the hero continues to fly with him. At that moment, the three legendary dragons, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, appear, offering their blessing to the Hero's Master Sword. They reveal the legacy of the gods dwells within the Master Sword. The hero gives the holy blade to the Goddess, so she can send the Hylian people and their kingdom to the skies with a single sweep of the Master Sword. The Goddess sends it back to the hero and makes the Master Sword a pillar between heaven and earth. Hylia's chosen hero, who is gravelly injured, stays behind and watches the land floating through the skies before passing away. Meanwhile, Demise could not find where the legacy of the gods is, which was revealed to be in fact the Triforce, however the Goddess Hylia eventually seals Demise. Finished with the Demon King, she returns to see her hero, who has already passed away. Crying, she reveals that the imprisonment was planned from the start so her chosen hero would be strong enough to save the world. Hylia decides that she will be reborn with her hero and live with him as a normal person, casting off her title and ensuring that his heroic spirit will live on forever.
The Chosen Hero's Rebirth
Thousands of years later after Hylia's chosen hero and the Goddess save the world, the hero's reincarnation, Link, goes outside and encounters the Crimson Loftwing, who is actually the reincarnation of the Goddess's Loftwing. The bird's eyes tells a message to Goddess's hero's spirit, which resides within his successor. Young Link then seems to understand the Loftwing who chose him to be his rider.
- In Skyward Sword, Hylia was said to be severely injured during the battle against Demise. She was also the one who created Skyloft. However, in the manga, her chosen hero was the one who was critically injured by Demise and brought the Kingdom of Hylia into the heavens with the Master Sword.
- "You know, they say that the goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "But...I can sense that man's evil intentions! What Ganondorf is after must be nothing less than the Triforce of the Sacred Realm. He must have come to Hyrule to obtain it! And, he wants to conquer Hyrule... no, the entire world! Link...now, we are the only ones who can protect Hyrule! Please!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "THANKS LINK, YOU'RE THE HERO OF HYRULE." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
- "FINALLY, PEACE RETURNS TO HYRULE. THE END" — N/A (The Legend of Zelda)
- "The magic spell cast upon Princess Zelda will sure to be broken if the Triforce is used. Please, Link. Unite the Triforce and save the princess. And bring back peace to Hyrule." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 12)
- "Only a person of the Knights Of Hyrule, who protected the royalty of Hylia, can become the Hero... You are of their blood-line, aren't you? Then you must rescue Zelda without fail." — Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "You are perhaps the last one to carry on the blood-line of the Knights... It is ironic that the last one in the line has the potential to become the Hero of legend." — Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "The Knights of Hyrule are a clan that protect the Royal Family, their members descended from the Hero who governed the Crest of Courage. Legend has it that the Hero will one day reappear within their ranks." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 93)
- "The heroes of these chronicles all share the name Link. These Links might have been the same person, a series of familial descendants, or a numbers of heroes with different names entirely. The Links of certain eras may also have been named after the legendary hero." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 68)
- "Far beneath Skyloft, the city in the sky where the young Link now stands, under the thick sea of clouds... people once lived on the world below." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 004)
- "Back when it was still called "the land of Hylia"... a dark age was brewing shrouded in fear and betrayal..." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 004)
- "Lord Dagianis, the man who framed you, has been killed by the Demon King. Please come out into the light of day. The Demon King's army will soon be upon us." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 006)
- "Our little misunderstanding has been resolved. Your premonition of danger was correct. We all understand that now. You are the only one who drive off the Demon King and protect Hylia!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 006)
- "Your weapon. Orville has tended to it these past four years." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 006)
- "My dear land of Hylia! Though people's hearts may change with time, this land's beauty, pride and purity never change. If you have need of me... Then I will fight forever to defend you." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 008)
- "Hmph! Our search is in vain, Hylia. They are so fearful that they cannot tell gods from demons! That is how useless these humans are. The one I seek will not be found here in this lower world." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 010)
- "...Someone able to fight the Demon King with me! Someone worthy to be rider!!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 011)
- "Oh? And who might you be?" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 011)
- "I am Link, a knight of the land of Hylia...! Humans may be small in the eyes of a god... But there are those among us who have the courage to fight!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 011)
- "If this is so, then show me how much a human is worth!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 012)
- "The fearsome Demon King will soon raze the surface world with fires of destruction. I cannot stand aside while my land and people fall to ruin. My people, you can escape to the sky. The Loftwing will show you the way." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 012)
- "The Master Sword, A blade that repels evil will sunder the earth and act as a pillar to support the land as it floats up to the sky. And yet, it was created by the gods, meant for our use alone. In order to expert its power on the surface world, it must be reforged by human hands. The hands of the most honorable hero in the land" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 013)
- "Goddess, I was imprisoned for a long time, and my honor tarnished. I couldn't possibly lay hands on this sacred blade." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 013)
- "Link. This blade knows whether or not you are tarnished." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 014)
- "Do you intend to take revenge on the kingdom that held you in contempt? Or will you save it from its doom?" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 014)
- "Regardless of whether you are humans or gods... All of you seek my answer. Truly... you use me whenever it suits you. But right now, it goes without saying-- My spirit will always stand with my friends!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 014)
- "This time, I will rule everything... Once the legacy of the gods is mine!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 015)
- "Wicked desire assaulted the world's surface, staining it the color of obsidian and the mountains, the plains, and all that flowed pure on earth were ruthlessly scoured by fire." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 016)
- "Over the course of seven days and seven nights, the Goddess's army fought valiantly against the army of the Demon King. Vast numbers of humans were slaughtered. But, few though they were, the courageous continued to fight, their resolve unwavering." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 017)
- "Your prayers from afar won't vanquish the demons! Creatures of the world. Servants of the Goddess. The humans are at war. You will go to their aid!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 017)
- "Foolish worm!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 018)
- "My hometown... The beautiful air... The mountains... The rivers... Reduced to this. Will this be the last thing I ever see?" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 018)
- "Loftwing, will you show our people to the skies? I ask your guidance." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 020)
- "As long as you fly with me henceforth." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 020)
- "At that moment, as though offering a blessing, three dragons appeared and circled the two." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 020)
- "The legacy of the gods dwells within the Master Sword. Hero! Present the sword before the Goddess!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 020)
- "My country… My beloved people of Hylia… My humans. Live on and bear descendants -- where the hands of the wicked cannot reach you beyond the great sea of clouds, at the highest limits of the sky. And there guard the legacy of the gods -- the Triforce -- from the wicked!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 021)
- "With a single sweep of the sword, the Goddess Hylia rent the earth." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 021)
- "Long live the beautiful land of Hylia!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 023)
- "May you thrive, my comrades. I pray for your happiness with all my heart. In truth, I wanted to take to the skies with you…" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 025)
- "…But my body is heavy. It feels as though I'm stuck to the ground. I can't move. Curses! Loftwing, I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise. But, crimson bird, I hope that you can somehow grant my final wish. Ah… It doesn't hurt anymore. My spirit will always be with you…" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 026)
- "Where have you hidden the golden triangles?!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 027)
- "They have gone to a place which you will never reach. A sacred place that evil will never violate. There to be protected by my devoted people." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 027)
- "They rest in the hands of humans?! Curse you, Goddess... Do not think that this ends here. That absolute power will be mine. And when that day comes, the demon tribe will rule over the world as kings!" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 027)
- "Your imprisonment was willed by the heavens. It was meant to make you strong. Like a sword hammered and honed so that it would never break. It was necessary to transform into one fit to wield the Master Sword... The sword was tempered by your sword. You woke it... And will serve as its master for all eternity." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 029)
- "This is because you deeply love the land of Hylia… and all its people… as I do. But because of this, your life has been full of suffering. I have watched you... And felt your pain like a knife through my body." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 029)
- "I shall ensure that your gentle, heroic spirit will live on eternally. And I… I shall shed my divinity. The next time we meet, I wish to stand before you as a simple human." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 030)
- "Whenever the land of Hylia is in danger… We shall be reborn…" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 030)
- "And so… thousands of years later…" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 030)
- "Hello. I have long awaited for this moment." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 032)
- "For some reason that's what I felt the red Loftwing's eyes were saying that to me." (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 032)
- "Allow me to guide you through this tale. It was written on the heart of a young boy, as pure as fresh parchment… a story that weaves destinies and spans eternity. Though we have been parted by time and distance, my spirit will always be with you…" (Skyward Sword (Himekawa) (Dark Horse Books) pg. 033)
- "Hylia had suffered grave injuries in her battle with the demon king." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "The goddess gathered the surviving humans on an outcropping of earth. She sent it skyward, beyond the reach of the demonic hordes. Beyond even the clouds." — Fi (Skyward Sword)