Breath of the Wild
When Link first encounters a Korok, it will believe that it has been found by Hestu before realizing that it is mistaken. The Korok will then give Link a Korok Seed ask him to return it to Hestu. From this point forward, Koroks will continue to give Link Korok Seeds once he finds them.
Initially, Hestu can be found on the road between Kakariko Bridge and Kakariko Village. Hestu is surprised that Link can see him, saying that the last time anyone was able to see him was 100 years ago. He introduces himself and asks Link for assistance. He will tell Link that his Maracas were stolen from him by a group of monsters. Hestu explains that he is powerless without them, and so he asks Link to retrieve them in his stead. This dialogue will trigger "The Priceless Maracas" Side Quest, in which Link will have to retrieve Hestu's Maracas from a Treasure Chest in a nearby Monster Stronghold. If spoken to again, Hestu will ask if he completed the task and hopes the monsters have not been using them.
Once Link retrieves Hestu's Maracas, he is overcome with joy and asks for them back. When Link returns them, Hestu can tell something is wrong and realizes that the Korok Seeds inside them are gone. Hestu will then explain that if he had even one Korok Seed, he would be able to sing, dance, and use his powers to expand Link's Inventory. Hestu can upgrade Link's Weapon stash, Bow stash, or Shield stash. Hestu states that the other Koroks must have taken the Seeds, and he is surprised to find that he was the target of such a prank.
If Link has Korok Seeds with him, Hestu will be able to smell them. For the first expansion of Link's Inventory, Hestu asks for a single Korok Seed. Should Link refuse, Hestu will respond with a dejected sound. If Link agrees to the trade, Hestu will ask which stash he would like to upgrade. Every time Hestu upgrades a stash, he will sing the tune that plays with it.
Hestu will only allow Link two upgrades before announcing that he needs to return to the Korok Forest. Hestu thanks Link for his help and promises to see him off before leaving. Before he leaves, Link can talk to him to learn more about the Koroks. If asked about the Korok Forest, he will recite the directions he was told: follow the Hylia River north. Asking about Hestu himself will have him reintroduce himself and state that he is the most celebrated musician in the Korok Forest. Should Link ask about Korok Seeds, Hestu will hesitate in his explanation before giving an excuse to not continue, saying his voice is blown out.
Hestu does travel north, but he becomes lost along the way. While Hestu is lost, Link can find him Riverside Stable, Wetland Stable, and Woodland Stable. During these encounters, Link can obtain four more stash upgrades before Hestu remembers the way back. If Link makes it into the Korok Forest before getting these four upgrades, Hestu will appear there straight away and will no longer appear at any Stables.
When Link speaks to Hestu in the Korok Forest, he will be excited and reintroduce himself. He informs Link that it is impressive he was able to make it through the Lost Woods. In Korok Forest, Hestu will offer Link the maximum amount of Inventory upgrades available.
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
In Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Hestu first appears in the Scenario, "Freeing Korok Forest" after the characters admit they might have gotten lost in the Lost Woods. He then becomes a character that can be controlled after it is revealed that a Malice swamp is blocking the way to Korok Forest. His main weapons consist of Maracas and Shaka Maracas.
- If Link talks to Hestu while wearing no Armor, Hestu will humorously react to Link's "nekkidness" before gleefully celebrating that he and Link are naked together. Due to Hestu's mirth, Link will be unable to receive any upgrades until he puts some Armor on.
Hestu's name is derived from a contraction of chestnut.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ボックリン (Bokkurin)||Corrupted anagram of 栗 (Kuri) and 坊 (Bō), a hypocoristic honorific used for young boys.|
|FrenchEU||Noïa||From noix (nut).|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Hestu at the Riverside Stable in Breath of the Wild
Hestu at the Wetland Stable
Hestu at the Woodland Stable
Spirited Musician" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Hey, hey, I’m Hestu! Musician of Korok Forest!" — Hestu (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Well, if you run into Hestu, please return this to him." — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "I am Hestu!!
Thank you to my agents @AtlasTalent and @NintendoAmerica for having me!" — Cristina Valenzuela, , Twitter, published November 20, 2020, retrieved December 15, 2020.
- "Hestu" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "Yah-ha-ha! You found me! Huh? You're not Hestu!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "You! You can see me?!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's been 100 years since anyone has been able to see me!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm Hestu, and I need your help!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Those monsters over there stole my beloved maracas!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can't use my powers without them. Shoko..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "So please! PLEASE get my maracas back from them!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Soooooooo... Did you get my maracas back yet? They better not be shaking them." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "SHALA-KALA! Those are... Those are my maracas! Please giiiiiive them to meeeeeeeee!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "But wait! There's something wrong with my maracas! The Korok seeds inside are gone! How am I supposed to dance now? Shoko..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "If I had just one Korok seed, I could sing, dance and use my powers to help you. You see, I have the power of inventory expansion! So let me know if you find some Korok seeds!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "The children of the forest must have taken the Korok seeds from my beloved maracas. I never thought I would be the target of one of their pranks. Shoko..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "*sniff* But wait... *sniff sniff* Do you have a Korok seed?! You do! You got a Korok seed from one of the forest children!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you'll give me just one Korok seed, I'll make your inventory bigger in return! " — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Shoko..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "SHALAKA! So which stash do you want more slots in?" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪Dah-na-na-na-naaaaaaaa!♪" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oh! Look at the time! I need to get back before Grandpa yells at me. Shoko... Sorry, I have to go. But I still need Korok seeds, so bring some to Korok Forest if you find any!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Thanks for bringing my maracas back! Once I see you off, I'm going back home to Korok Forest!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Korok Forest... It should be somewhere north of here. Grandpa told me, "If you ever get lost, follow the Hylia River and continue north." That's what he said, and Grandpa is no liar." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "My name is Hestu! The most celebrated musician of Korok Forest! Shalaka lala!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Korok seeds...come from the Korok children...and they're a...little bit... ... Sorry... I blew out my voice singing..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm trying to get back to Korok Forest, but I've lost my way..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "I... I think I remember how to get back to Korok Forest!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Maybe I'll head back now. I bet Grandpa is waiting for me." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪Shalaka!♪ It's you! We meet again! What's with the silent treatment? Don't you remember me? I'm the musician of Korok Forest, Hestu!" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm impressed you found your way through the Lost Woods and made it here..." — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "Shaka! Shakaka! You are nekkid! I am nekkid! We are united in exposure! ♪Nekky nokky nakey!♪" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "♪Nakey nakey!♪
♪Nekky nokky nakey!♪" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
- "ボックリン" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)