Location and Uses
Oracle of Ages
The Harp of Ages is a mythical instrument that belonged to Nayru, the Oracle of Ages. Link finds the Harp in a secret room of Nayru's house where an imprint of Nayru teaches him the "Tune of Echoes". This apparition hoped that a hero had found the Harp and would use it to save the land. The Harp of Ages allows Link to control the currents of time to Warp between the past and present ages of Labrynna by playing certain tunes on it. The three tunes Link learns to play on the Harp are the Tune of Echoes, the Tune of Currents and the Tune of Ages. Playing any tune on the Harp of Ages will also defeat any Pols Voice on the screen. If Link attempts to travel through time in certain areas, he will be sent back "by a strange force." These areas are Yoll Graveyard, the Sea of No Return and the Black Tower grounds. He also cannot travel through time inside dungeons. This exists to prevent sequence breaking.
Oracle of Ages (Himekawa)
In the Oracle of Ages manga by Akira Himekawa, the Harp of Ages is first used by Nayru. The Oracle is seen strumming the Harp within a glade, but stops once she senses light and darkness approaching together. Nayru uses the Harp of Ages to see Link's future, telling the hero that he will be remembered throughout time by generations. Veran, who was possessing Impa, instead takes control of Nayru and uses her to enter Labrynna's past in an effort to erase Link. The Harp of Ages is left behind. Ralph fights Link for the instrument, as he wants to use it to rescue Nayru. Ralph unintentionally strums the Harp, allowing Link to travel back in time without him.
While Link fought against Queen Ambi's soldiers, one of the knights took the Harp of Ages from Link and used it to pay his bar tab. The owner of the bar sold it to a merchant, who gave it to an aristocrat. Since then, the Harp was passed on for centuries until it was in a Tokay's shop in present day Labrynna. Ralph happens to be at the shop searching for a time travel device and recognizes the Harp of Ages. He uses the Harp to enter Labrynna's past, landing on top of Link. Ralph sees his friend Nayru and rushes to her, unaware that she is still possessed by Veran. Link thrusts his hand out to stop Ralph and accidentally strums the Harp of Ages, which transports the two onto a deserted island. Link and Ralph are brought aboard the Cap'n's ship, who orders Ralph to play the Harp of Ages. Ralph plays a waltz for the Captain and is surprised that the Harp of Ages is not causing a time trip. Eventually Ralph and Link leave the pirate ship and use the Harp of Ages to return to Labrynna.
After Queen Ambi has been possessed by Veran, the newly freed Nayru sends Link, Ralph and Sir Raven to Labrynna's present. After forming a plan to defeat Veran, the Oracle of Ages uses the Harp of Ages to return to Labrynna's past. Nayru reveals that Roperi's plant is a Mystery Tree sprout, which will produce Veran's weakness, Mystery Seeds. Using the Harp of Ages, Nayru speeds the sprout's growth and gives the seed to Sir Raven and Link to defeat Veran.
At the manga's end, Nayru uses the Harp of Ages to return Link, Ralph and herself to modern day Labrynna.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||時のたてごと||Harp of Time|
|FrenchEU||Harpe des Âges||Harp of Ages|
|German||Harfe der Zeit||Harp of Time|
|Italian||Arpa del Tempo||Harp of Time|
|SpanishEU||Arpa de los Tiempos||Harp of Time|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 126
- "You were sent back by a strange force!" — N/A (Oracle of Ages)
- "Light and darkness approach together..." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 24)
- "Your story is told... Generation after generation... For centuries... Passed down..." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 26)
- "Now... To the past... In order to erase you, Link!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 30)
- "All that's left... Is this harp." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 41)
- "I can't leave the Harp of Ages to a pipsqueak like you! I'm gonna save Nayru! Now give it to me!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 41)
- "Wait right here. I'll be back with Nayru! Buh-Bye!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 43)
- "... A soldier took it from Link, then used it to pay his bar tab that night..." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 85)
- "The owner of the tavern sold it to a rich merchant... And from the merchant it went to an aristocrat..." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 85)
- "... And passed from hand to hand across the centuries... to present day." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 85, 86)
- "A time travel device? I don't know... How about this? It's hundreds of years old, but good as new! It's defied the ravages of time and takes you back to... I something wrong, Sir?" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 86)
- "IT'S A MIRACLE! I'M COMING, NAYRU!!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 86)
- "Link! If you're here... I must have made it to the past." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 98)
- "Nayru! Is that Nayru?!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 97)
- "A harp! Play me a song!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 107)
- "Oh! A waltz! A rondo!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 108)
- "Huh?! The harp isn't causing a time trip?" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 108)
- "... Demons that posses people can't stand Mystery Seeds." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 123)
- "Link, this is a young Mystery Tree. It will grow Mystery Seeds." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media) pg. 154)