Old Hag in the Potion Shop
Ocarina of Time
When Link is a child, Granny's Potion Shop is only accessible by flying into its yard with a Cucco. The Shop, however, is closed and a message is on the door letting him know that Granny is out in the field collecting herbs for her Potions. Seven years in the future, Link is able to gain access to her shop by either using the Hookshot from the Kakariko Windmill, or the back door of the Medicine Shop.
After Link delivers Cojiro to the her son in the Lost Woods, he asks him to deliver an Odd Mushroom to Granny. Upon showing the Odd Mushroom to Granny, she calls him a "bum" for going into the forest, and asks Link that if he sees "that fool", to give him the Odd Potion. However, she says the Potion will not work on a monster, possibly hinting at her son's fate as a Stalfos.
In Majora's Mask, Anju's Grandmother is Granny's Terminan counterpart. Anju's Grandmother lives in the lower bedroom of the Stock Pot Inn in Clock Town. While confined to her wheelchair, she serves as a storyteller. Her stories are unbearably long and the listener will often fall asleep in the middle of them. Granny will ask questions related to the story read. These can be answered correctly by wearing the All-Night Mask, allowing Link to stay awake and to answer her questions. If he answers the questions correctly, he will receive a Piece of Heart for each story told. She will not read any stories on the Final Day.
The first story that Anju's Grandmother reads, about the Carnival of Time, is the shorter of the two and takes two hours to tell. At the end, Anju's Grandmother will ask when the Clock Tower opens. Link must answer "On the eve of the carnival" to receive a Piece of Heart. The second story, about the Four Giants, will take all of the time between when the story begins and the next morning. Thus, if the story begins at 6 AM, it will not end until 6 AM the next day. After listening to the story with the All-Night Mask, Anju's Grandmother will ask what the people do to call the Four Giants. Link must answer "I dunno" to receive another Piece of Heart.
Anju's Grandmother also appears to be losing her memory, as she often refers to her granddaughter Anju and Link by the name of Tortus, her deceased son and Anju's father. Her diary seems to indicate, however, that she feigns senility to get out of eating Anju's poorly cooked meals. She writes about a plan to get by without eating, and can be seen enacting that plan when Anju brings her lunch on the first day.
- An image of a tiger can be seen on the backside of the wheelchair of Anju's Grandmother, possibly a reference to the pet tiger cub belonging to her Ocarina of Time counterpart.
- Speaking to Anju's Grandmother with Kafei's Mask implies that she was a schoolteacher when Mayor Dotour was in school.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||クスリ屋のババ (Kusuri-ya no Baba) (OoT)||Potion Shop Granny|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Deliver this to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Grog (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239 (OoT) & 245 (MM)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 115 (MM)
- "Hey, that saw! It's mine! But... I thought I left that saw with my old lady... Oh well..." — Master Craftsman's Son (Ocarina of Time)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time — Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 114
- "Granny's Potion Shop
Gone for Field Study
Please come again!
—Granny" — Sign (Ocarina of Time)
- "Cojiro? Why? Normally only a nice guy like me can tame you... Which means... You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Master Craftsman's Son (Ocarina of Time)
- "That bum! He had to go into the forest... [...] If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster... They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true..." — Granny (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hello there, son. I'm researching the process of making medicine by mixing Lake Hylia's water with various unusual compounds. Perhaps you've met that old lady from the potion shop...she is like a student of mine... Ho ho ho!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "Grandmother...I am Anju! Tortus was my dad..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "It was my granddaughter who cooked again today. Putting that to the lips shortens the life! I thought of a way to get by without eating. I'll try it tomorrow. I just hope I'm not caught." — Granny's Diary (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, Tortus. I've already had lunch." — Granny (Majora's Mask)
"Grandmother...I am Anju! Tortus was my dad... And you haven't had lunch yet!" — Anju (Majora's Mask)
"I've already had lunch. Now be quick and take that away." — Granny (Majora's Mask)
"Not eating is bad for you. Please eat..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
"Didn't I say that I already ate lunch, Tortus?!? Impossible child!" — Granny (Majora's Mask)
"Then don't eat my food. I give up..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
"Whew!" — Granny (Majora's Mask)
""Whew?"" — Anju (Majora's Mask)
"Er... W-W-Whewwwould you like me to read you a story?" — Granny (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, Dotour... If they pick on you, you come tell teacher, OK?" — Granny (Majora's Mask)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 141
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 245