Gortram is a large, bearded Goron who has been living alone in the Lanayru Shipyard for ages. However, he does not mind this as he gets to ride the mine carts all day long. He is also an entrepreneur, and runs the Rickety Coaster mini-game. However, no one ever comes to ride the mine carts.
Gortram is first encountered when Link visits the mine cart station en route to the Shipyard, which is said to hold more clues about the Sandship. Gortram agrees to allow Link to ride the mine carts, but only after explaining how to ride them safely. The Goron also asks Link to tell more people about the Rickety Coaster so more people will visit the mine track.
After Link defeats Tentalus and tempers his Sword with the power of Nayru's Sacred Flame, he can return to the Shipyard to find that Gortram has set up a new mini-game requiring Link to race around the Rickety Coaster. He gives Link the option of choosing two tracks: the "Scary" and "Heart-Stopping" Tracks. The Scary Track requires Link to beat a certain time, and upon doing so will earn Rupees or Treasure as a reward. On the other hand, the "Heart-Stopping" Track requires that Link beats Gortram's time of 1:05. If Link manages to do so, Gortram will reward him with a Piece of Heart.
- If Link sits on the stool next to Gortram, he will complain and tell him it is his seat.
Gortram's name is a portmanteau of Goron and tram, a type of rail car.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Wagoro (SS)||From wagon.|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Concept art of Gortram from Hyrule Historia
- "He is a colorful entrepreneur of the Goron race--beings made of living stone." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 46 (SS)
- "I have been here alone for...well, who knows how long. Years. But I get to ride these carts every day, and I never get bored of it!" — Gortram (Skyward Sword)
- "I am here every day running this coaster, but you are the only one who ever shows up. Could you spread the word? It is lonely out here. And...dry." — Gortram (Skyward Sword)
- "This station here was used by folks heading into the old mines. People still ride the mine carts all over the place, though! I am probably supposed to tell you there is some "safety information" about using the carts posted on the wall over there. Cart riding can be, uh...dangerous at times, so I would suggest you give that stuff a quick read." — Gortram (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, that is my seat! Nobody sits their rear end on my seat but me, got it?" — Gortram (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 46 (SS)