The race is held every spring at the Goron Racetrack. Its entrance is located on the top of the hill on the Road to Goron Village. Link must first defeat Goht in the Snowhead Temple in order to lift the curse and bring spring back. To gain access to the racing grounds, Link first needs to buy a Powder Keg and blow up the huge boulder blocking the way. To do so the first time, Link must acquire the keg from a Goron, who gives it to him as a test so that the hero can learn to use this type of explosive. He becomes eligible as a participant of the race after talking to the Goron Elder's Son.
Link's objective in the race is to speed his way past several other Gorons by rolling to the finish line. On the way he encounters many obstacles including Bomb Flowers, trees, a bridge, and other Gorons. To ensure his victory, Link needs to break many green pots and roll up as many ramps on the track as possible. Once he succeeds, he will be rewarded with Gold Dust, which can be used to create the Gilded Sword. Each time Link wins the race, he will be awarded with Gold Dust, which can be sold.
During the race, there are obstacles such as ramps, bridges without guardrails, Bomb Flowers, and dead trees. Other Goron racers tend to attack Link whenever the opportunity arises. A well-placed collision with other Gorons or repeated smaller collisions with them can knock Link to the ground, forcing him to curl up again and regain his speed.
By the time Link comes around the final turn, there is typically at least one other racer who manages to keep up. Should this happen, Link must try to break its trajectory with a gentle nudge or two to slow him down enough and get ahead of him. However, most collisions that Link initiates tend to work in the other Goron's favor.
- "My son got better immediately. He went to see the Goron Races that celebrate spring." — Goron Elder (Majora's Mask)
- "You say that gold dust is the prize for winning the Patriarch's Race that's held by the Gorons every spring?" — Zubora (Majora's Mask)
- "So...now that spring has come, the Goron Races should be starting soon." — Elder's Son (Majora's Mask)
- "But this rock is in the way, so I can't get in to see the race..." — Elder's Son (Majora's Mask)
- "Want a Powder Keg? Powder kegs explode with powerful blasts and are very dangerous... Until I have tested you to see if you can use them properly, I can't let you use any on your own. If you can destroy the boulder that blocks the entrance to the Goron Racetrack near here using the Powder Keg I'm about to give you, then I'll approve you to carry them." — Goron (Majora's Mask)
- "Ah! Darmi! I've been waiting for you. See, everyone's restless, 'cause they can't wait to enter. You're gonna enter, aren't you?" — Elder's Son (Majora's Mask)
- "If your magic power runs low, charge it up with the green jars on the course." — Elder's Son (Majora's Mask)
- "Hey, now that's a mean joke. Your sword has already been reforged into a Razor Sword! Unless... Do you want me to make your sword stronger? To do that, I'll need gold dust. Do you have any?" — Zubora (Majora's Mask)
- "The gold dust won as the prize in the Goron Races in spring can be used by the smithy to forge a sword. Or it can be sold to the smithy for 40 Rupees, but the Curiosity Shop will buy it for 200 Rupees..." — Gossip Stone (Majora's Mask)