Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Goddess's Harp is never explicitly called by name. It is, however, implied to be the same harp as wielded by Sheik. If that were the case, it likely would have been passed down within Hylia's bloodline, the Royal Family of Hyrule. It would have came into the possession of a new incarnation of Princess Zelda who, disguised as Sheik, uses it to teach Link various songs that grant him the ability of Warping. Each time Sheik takes the Harp out, he plays the melody on it first before Link follows along using the Ocarina of Time.
In Skyward Sword, the Goddess's Harp originally belongs to Zelda, the mortal incarnation of the goddess Hylia. She is first seen holding and using it when she is practicing for the Wing Ceremony on Skyloft. After falling to the surface world, Zelda takes the Harp with her to the various temples across the land and uses it reawaken her memories of her life as Hylia. Her childhood friend from Skyloft, Link, eventually receives it from her at the Temple of Time in the Lanayru Desert. After getting through the Lanayru Mining Facility, Link and Zelda have a brief reunion that is interrupted by Ghirahim, forcing Zelda to escape through the Gate of Time with Impa. However, Zelda manages to transfer the Goddess's Harp to the young hero beforehand, telling him that he will need it in his quest.
Link goes on to use the Harp to learn various songs that will help him advance in his adventure. He learns his first song, the "Ballad of the Goddess," from the Old Woman in the Sealed Temple. Later, he travels to the Isle of Songs, where he must play three different songs of the Goddesses to open the Silent Realm trials, and lastly learn the "Song of the Hero" from Levias and the three dragons of the Surface. By the end of the game, Link and Zelda are seen standing together outside the Sealed Temple as he plays the "Ballad of the Goddess."
The Harp makes use of the Wii MotionPlus in order to play it, and it is the main instrument of the game. When played, it activates vital objectives and can be used to make Gossip Stones and Goddess Walls appear in certain locations. The Goddess's Harp is equipped to the up-button on the D-Pad and it is played by directing the Wii Remote to the left for the lower notes and to the right for the higher notes. When playing the Harp, pulsating circles of light on the ground indicate the tempo at which Link should strum the Harp. If Link is playing it at the right tempo, Fi will join Link by providing the vocals. Link is given a visual clue indicating when to strum the Harp when a song has to be played, for example three congregating Blessed Butterflies near a Goddess Wall. It also plays a vital role in the Lumpy Pumpkin mini-game.
The tones produced by the Goddess's Harp will follow the harmonics of the background music in the location it is played.
- Ballad of the Goddess – reveals the Gate of Time in the Sealed Temple and opens an entrance to the Isle of Songs in the Thunderhead
- Farore's Courage – opens a trial gate to the Silent Realm in Faron Woods
- Nayru's Wisdom – opens a trial gate to the Silent Realm in Lanayru Desert
- Din's Power – opens a trial gate to the Silent Realm in Eldin Volcano
- Song of the Hero – opens a trial gate to the Silent Realm in Skyloft
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- A picture of a Harp similar to the Goddess's Harp can be found in the Milk Bar in A Link Between Worlds. The Harp's pairing with a picture of a violin seems to make it more of a reference to Medli's Harp from The Wind Waker, as the violin seems to reference Makar's Violin.
- Although referred to as a Harp in-game, the instrument is in fact a lyre.
|Names in Other Regions|
|German||Lyra der Göttin (SS)|
Lyra der Göttin (HWDE)
|Lyre of the Goddess|
Lyre of the Goddess
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 125 (SS)
- "Goddess's Harp: Use it on Goddess Butterflies to make Gossip Stones appear." — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Goddesses’ Harp
Said to be a divine instrument of the goddess who once watched over Hyrule.
Goddesses’ Harp as seen in: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" — n.a., The official home for The Legend of Zelda - About, Zelda.com, published n.d., retrieved April 24, 2021.
- "Yes, the harp is sort of the central instrument hat you’ll see this time. [...] This time around, the harp comes into Link’s hands during the course of the game and is used to help the player find something important. You actually need to play the harp to use it, so to speak. The design is the same as the harp that Sheik has in Ocarina of Time." —Eiji Aonuma (Skyward Sword – Zelda harp same design as one in Ocarina, no completely orchestrated soundtrack, Ghirahim isn’t Vaati, much more | Nintendo Everything)
- "The harp in Skyward Sword looks a lot like Sheik's harp in Ocarina of Time. Could it be the same one...?" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 11)
- "I set out to pray at the goddess statues located in each temple across the land. Each statue stirred up memories within me. After I visited them all, Impa, an agent of the goddess, led me here...to the past." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Your Grace! Quickly, to the gate!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, here! You'll need this where you're going." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the Goddess's Harp! But there's no time to admire it!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh, but the goddess did entrust me with a hint as to the Triforce's location. The clue is a song, meant to be played on the harp you hold. It is known as the Song of the Hero. The song is the key to revealing the secret location of the Triforce. The goddess split this song into four parts. She entrusted one part to me and the other three to the dragons of the land." — Levias (Skyward Sword)
- "Focus and play in time with the pulsing of the circle of light. When your timing is right, I shall join my voice to your harp." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "In Her Series
After Link pulls the Master Sword and ages over time, this mysterious youth appears before him. Sheik appear before Link a number of times after that, teaching him various songs using a harp." — Tips (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "Lyra der Göttin: Mit der Lyra lässt du bei Himmelsfaltern einen Mythenstein erscheinen, der Feinde sichtbar werden lässt." — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)