Gaspra is an old and wise astronomer who lives in a tall tower atop a mountain, presumably in Tolemac. He owns a magic crystal, with which he can observe people and distant lands. Many years ago, Shurmak had sent him a scroll warning him that Ganon had captured Link and stolen the seven Celestial Signs from Tolemac. Upon reading the news, Gaspra looks for a brave warrior who can retrieve the Celestial Signs and rescue Link, and summons Princess Zelda as his chosen champion. He gives her a magic pendant and bids her good luck.
Like Shurmak, Gaspra also gives Zelda guidance on exploring Tolemac. After clearing a shrine and finding its Celestial Sign, he gives her advice and encouragement from his tower on where she should go next. He encourages Zelda a final time when Ganon stops her from taking the final Celestial Sign, leading to their confrontation. After Zelda defeats Ganon and rescues Link, Gaspra congratulates her on saving Tolemac and returning light to the land, but also reminds her to stay kind and merciful.
- Zelda's Adventure manual, pg. 2
- "Ah, the scroll of Shurmak, bearer of sad news these many years ago. And so it was that Gannon, Lord of Darkness, had taken over Tolemac. He has stolen the treasured celestial signs and captured Link! A brave warrior will have to be found to face this evil monster." — Gaspra (Zelda's Adventure)
- "And so I found this champion of strength and courage, it is you, Princess Zelda. With this magic pendant go forth, and with each Sign you gather so too will you gain knowledge. Find your magic Wand, use it wisely and listen to your allies along the way. Go now my princess, restore the Celestial Signs and rescue Link!" — Gaspra (Zelda's Adventure)
- "Princess Zelda, you've succeeded. Your victory has brought peace and light back to Tolemac. Your courage and strength will not be forgotten. For now, your work is done. Off you go to celebrate Link's return. But first, remember, lessons of the heart, mercy, and human kindness prevail above all else. Farewell, young princess." — Gaspra (Zelda's Adventure)
- "You must heed both Shurmak and Gaspra. There is some envy between them, but it is a small thing and they both fight for the right in different ways." — N/A (Zelda's Adventure)