Please see the related discussion on this article'sfor more information concerning its future layout.
Tingle carrying a Force Gem
Restoring power to the Four Sword
Restoring the Spirit Tracks
Force Gems are recurring triangular-pyramid-shaped jewels in The Legend of Zelda series. Their roles vary from restoring power to the Four Sword in Four Swords Adventures, to restoring Spirit Tracks and portions of the Tower of Spirits in Spirit Tracks. They are physical manifestations of the Force, the sacred power that dwells in every living being.
Location and Uses
Four Swords Adventures
Force Gems first appeared in Four Swords Adventures. The Links need to collect 2000 of them to empower the Four Sword, which has lost its power because of Vaati's magic. Once empowered, it can break Vaati's Dark Barrier at the end of each level. Like Rupees in most games in the series, their size and color determine their value. Often, levels will have an area that gives an opportunity to get many Force Gems at once; usually, this involves defeating many enemies without being hit. Doing this awards combo points, which will give more Force Gems from defeating the enemies. In some cases, the Force Gems are used as currency. Sometimes, if big Force Gems are lying around, Tingle will appear and attempt to take them before Link can reach them; Link can throw things at him to deter him.
Force Gems appear throughout each level, found on enemies, under rocks, frozen in ice, and more. Below is a list of the values for each variety of Force Gem:
Force Gem Values
- Large Green Force Gem worth 1,000
- Large Blue Force Gem worth 1,500
- Large Red Force Gem worth 2,000
- Large Purple Force Gem worth 3,000
Rare Force Gems
- Color alternating Force Gem: Its value depends on which color it is when obtained.
- Force Soldier: A large green Force Gem with a sword and legs. If Link destroys it, it will become a big green Force Gem. However, if Link does not defeat it in time and it self destructs, its value will be reduced to one Force Gem.
Force Gem Thieves
- Hinoxes will shake great amounts of Force Gems from Link while he is in their grasp.
- Wizzrobes can continuously suck Force Gems from Link while dodging him at great ease and speed.
- Force Likes will suck Force Gems from Link.
- When Link takes significant damage, Force Gems will fall from him.
Force Gems in Phantom Hourglass are gold-colored. They are used in Temple of the Ocean King. In the temple, they are used to complete a Triforce symbol in the ground that will open a door. Just like a Boss Key, they slow down Link while he is carrying one and prevent him from attacking or defending himself. At one point in the game, Oshus explains that the Sand of Hours are made of Force Gems from the Ocean King.
In Battle Mode, Force Gems vary in size. The colors are changed during gameplay but the value of points remains the same. The larger it is, the more it is worth and heavier to carry. The Gold-colored Force Gems signify an unclaimed Force Gem. The Links' colors for the Battle Mode are red and blue. Each will have Safe Zones in their respective colors. The safe zones serve to hide Link from the Phantoms and the colored Safe Zones will change a Force Gem to its color, which adds its value to that Link's score. The neutral Safe Zones will turn red or blue gems back to gold and subtract the values from the scores.
Force Gems are found on floors three and twelve, both having three each. They're usually found on chests which can only be found and opened after solving puzzles, and it's not uncommon that other Gems are held by Phantoms as well, requiring Link to stun them first. On floor nine, the role of the Force Gems is taken by the geometrically-shaped crystals found on floors seven and eight.
In Spirit Tracks, Force Gems are integral to the plot. The Force Gems in the Forest, Snow, Ocean, Fire Temples emit energy that is carried by Spirit Tracks to the Tower of Spirits, which the Spirits of Good built to imprison Malladus. When Cole and Byrne plot to resurrect Malladus, Link and Princess Zelda go to the four temples to restore the energy between them and the broken Tower of Spirits. These Force Gems are colored according to the Realm in which they are in. They each emerge from the remains of defeated bosses and rest on a winged pedestal that appears out of the floor. This restores the Spirit Tracks from the temple to the Spirit Tower, at the same time sending a burst of energy that restores another section of the tower.
The pedestal-mounted Force Gem is the symbol of the Spirits of Good which appears on the Rail Map and the Lokomo's vehicles. For the same reason, the Shield is studded with an ornamental Force Gem—the Lokomo Sword has one in its pommel. One of each pair of Spacetime Gates is adorned with a Force Gem whose color indicates whether or not the gate is active. The gate is activated by striking the Force Gem using the Cannon.
When Link helps certain characters, their happiness or gratitude causes them to emit Energy in the form of a small yellow Force Gem that restores yet more of the Spirit Tracks. Anjean gives Link one that opens the Spirit Tracks in the Sand Realm. The other 20 of these Force Gems restore tracks that are optional. These grant access to new shortcuts, Stations, Spacetime Gates and Rabbits (generally in the Realm the person is in). Link obtains the 20 Force Gems by transporting Passengers and Cargo from one location to another.
Battle Mode has players collecting as many Force Gems as they can within a time limit.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Joyau de force|
|FrenchEU||Gemme de force|
|Italian||Gemma della Forza|
|SpanishLA||Gema de la fuerza|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- According to The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks — PRIMA Official Game Guide by Prima Games. They are not numbered in-game, nor are they even stored on the Collection screen.
- The tracks added by Force Gem 12 lead to a dead-end in the Ocean Realm that links up to the tracks from Force Gem 16.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 124 (FSA | PH | ST)
- "Your sword is weak, but you can restore its power by infusing it with Force Gems." — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- "You found a Force Gem, the Four Sword's power source!" — N/A (Four Swords Adventures)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 75
- "As I am sure you know, happiness and gratitude create energy. Well, I am deeply grateful to both of you for all of your help. I cannot help you directly, but I can at least give you this Force Gem." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "However, Vaati's magic has robbed the Four Sword of its power to vanquish darkness. To return the sword to its full strength, find the source of that power: Force Gems." — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Your goal is to destroy the dark magic barrier at the end of each stage. The only way to destroy the barrier is with the magic Force Gem power of the legendary Four Sword." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 18)
- "If the Four Sword doesn't have enough power, it cant destroy the barrier. Refer to the Status screen to see how many Force Gems you need before the Four Sword reclaims its power to repel evil." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 19)
- "Defeat multiple enemies with a single blow to get more Force Gems." — N/A (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Today, my aid can be yours for a paltry sum! How about a mere... ??? Force Gems!" — Man (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Force Gems can be found all over Hyrule. These gems are the source of the Four Sword's power. They appear after you defeat enemies or cut down grass and bushes." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 18)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 15
- "It is said to be made of Force Gems of the great spirit, the Ocean King." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Long ago, the spirits of good and the Demon King were embroiled in a never-ending war. In the end, the spirits could not defeat him. But they did manage to imprison him in this tower." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "It's not chains or bars that keep him imprisoned, but an energy that flows between the tower and the four temples that surround it." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "At the top of this tower is your body. The Demon King's spirit is also there. To prevent him from possessing your body, you must fortify his prison. To do this, restore the energy between the temples and this tower. In other words... Restore the tracks between here and the temples." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "You plan to continue your journey by train, do you not? Then you must always go forth with people's hearts in your mind. When you make people happy, their spirits emit energy. When this energy builds, new tracks appear.
This should be very useful for your journey." — Carben (Spirit Tracks)
- "This Force Gem will serve that very purpose. It will open tracks into the desert." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- pg. 311
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 267
- "Vous avez obtenez un joyau de force, signe de gratitude! Le glyphe de la forêt s'est mis à briller!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Vous obtenez une gemme de force, signe de gratitude! La stèle sylvestre se met à briller!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Du hast einen Force-Kristall erhalten! Die Waldtafel leuchtet auf!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hai ricevuto una Gemma della Forza! La Stele sprigiona forte luce!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "¡Has recibido una fortianita! ¡La Litografía de los Bosques está brillando!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "¡Has encontrado una gema de la fuerza! ¡La Litografía de los Bosques está brillando!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)