The Minish Cap
While in his cap form, Ezlo has the appearance of a green cap much like the one Link usually wears, albeit with a bird-like face, complete with a large yellow beak.
Ezlo gives Link advice and background information throughout their adventure, both spontaneously and on demand with use of the Select Button. Ezlo has the ability to shrink Link to Minish size whenever he nears a Minish Portal, and also serves as a parachute when Link jumps into Updrafts, similar to the Deku Leaf from The Wind Waker.
|Minish Ezlo (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|The Minish Ezlo, before he was cursed|
by Vaati. He is a famous Minish sage.
Even among Minish inventors, he was
renowned for his amazing creations.
|Ezlo and Link (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
Ezlo and Link
|A young boy on a quest with Ezlo to|
restore the Four Sword.
With the sword's power, he hopes to
remove the curse on Princess Zelda.
|Ezlo (Cap) (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|A strange creature that looks at first|
like a cap. He speaks roughly and
treats Link like a child, but he
actually really likes Link.
Before meeting Link, Ezlo was a renowned Minish craftsman and sage who was working on the Mage's Cap, a Cap that would grant the wishes of its wearer. The Cap was intended as a gift for the Humans, but when he finished it, his apprentice Vaati (who was also a Minish at the time) stole it from his work desk and donned it, using its power to turn himself into a powerful sorcerer. Ezlo attempted to stop Vaati, but was unsuccessful. Vaati used the power he had received from the Mage's Cap to place a Sorcerer's Curse on Ezlo, transforming him into a creature resembling a mix between a green hat and a bird. Ezlo pursued Vaati into Hyrule through the Minish Door, leading to his meeting with Link.
After Link defeats Vaati in Dark Hyrule Castle, Ezlo is transformed back into his original form. He tells Princess Zelda to combine her power with the Mage's Cap in order to undo all the damage done by Vaati. Before the Minish Door closes for another hundred years, Ezlo gives Link a green hat similar to the form he took while under Vaati's Curse, remarking that it is the first time he has seen him wearing one and that it suits him.
- The menu of The Minish Cap displays several images Ezlo as a background.
- Ezlo's face is only seen when he is talking or if the player wants advice; on occasions other than these, Link's hat model is the same as in Four Swords.
- When Link's Life Energy is full, Ezlo appears with his beak open and held high. After losing Hearts, Ezlo's beak closes and is held low. If Link only has one Heart Container remaining, Ezlo appears exhausted.
- Ezlo's cap form has similar properties to his sage form; namely, the swirl of hair on his head, and the appearance of his eyes. His staff also has a beak and the swirl of hair similar to his cap form.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Link used Ezlo, the Minish Cap, to travel between the Hyrulean world and the tiny world of the Minish hidden in its cracks and quiet corners." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 268)
- "The Minish Ezlo, before he was cursed by Vaati. He is a famous Minish sage. Even among Minish inventors, he was renowned for his amazing creations." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 270 (TMC)
- "Now, I suppose a boy like you still has much to learn about the world. If ever you need my insight, press SELECT. I'll be happy to help!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Look at that. At first glance, it appears to be a mere stump, yes? No! That stump is a portal used by people long ago to adjust their size! With my help, you can use it to shrink down to Minish size." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Hmn?! Hmmmmnnnn... Ah, of course! How silly of me! Hey, my boy! Jump into that whirlwind over there for me! Heh heh heh... I wonder, is this a great idea or a terrible one?" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Helllllp!!! Help meeee!!! Ouch! Won't somebody stop them!? Ow! Ow! Help... Somebody! Can't anybody hear me?" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "You know, you and I have quite a lot in common. You see, I, too, am on a quest to break a curse of Vaati's. And you say that reforging the sacred blade can break his curse, eh? Well, then you have found yourself a companion, my boy! My name is Ezlo. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "I was once a famous sage and a renowned Minish craftsman. Vaati was only a boy when I took him on as my apprentice. But...he became enchanted by the wickedness in the hearts of men. One day, Vaati took a hat I made for the humans--my pride and joy. It granted the wishes of its wearer. He put it on without permission..." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Tell me, how does it feel, my sorcerer's curse?" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "I came to the world of men hoping to stop Vaati, and I met you in the woods." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "If one with a just heart wears this cap, things can be made right again. Princess Zelda! Let your wishes be made real!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "The Minish Door opens but once every century, and soon, it must close. I must leave you both now and return to my homeland." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Heh... You know, I’ve never actually seen you wearing a cap until now! It suits you, little hero." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)