Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
The Deku Shield is a simple wooden shield crafted from the bark of the Great Deku Tree. The Kokiri Symbol painted on its surface resembles the Kokiri's Spiritual Stone, the Kokiri's Emerald. Link must first purchase the shield in the Kokiri Shop found in the Kokiri Forest for 40 Rupees to convince Mido that he is worthy of his council with the Great Deku Tree. After passing Mido, Link can purchase another shield from Business Scrubs in either the Lost Woods, Inside the Deku Tree, or within Dodongo's Cavern for 50 Rupees.
The Deku Shield is fairly functional, but its durability may be compromised by certain flame attacks, as it instantly burns up if a Fire Keese touches Link or a Dodongo's breath harms him. The Deku Shield can only be equipped while Link is in child form. Although the Hylian Shield is available to child Link, it is far too heavy and it hinders his movement into a sort of "turtle shield" technique. However, the Deku Shield provides a more mobile defense and is well utilized by the Z-Targeting system.
- The doors inside the Forbidden Woods in The Wind Waker are similar to the Deku Shield, as the red Kokiri symbol appears on the brown doors, forming a Deku Shield-like shape and look. This characteristic is also shared with the doors of the Forest Temple from Twilight Princess.
- During development of Ocarina of Time, the Deku Shield would use Link's family crest. This could mean that the Kokiri symbol was meant to be Link's family crest, or that the Shield used a different symbol originally.
- The Deku Shield can be seen in very early screenshots of Majora's Mask, as the game used Link's model from Ocarina of Time as a placeholder.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクの盾 (Deku no Tate) (OoT)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Bouclier Mojo (OoT3D)||Deku Shield|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 121 (OoT)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time — Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. [which page?]
- "Deku Shield: 40 Rupees
Once equipped, you can defend with . If set on fire, it will burn!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Eh, what's that?! Oh, you have a Deku Shield… And what's THAT?! Is that the Kokiri Sword?! GOOD GRIEF!" — Mido (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I give up! If you let me go,I will sell you a Deku Shield! It's 50 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Fire Keese-Destroy it before it flies into you! If you don't, its flames will burn up your Deku Shield!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hi, mister! You can't use a Deku Shield! It's only for kids!" — Kokiri (Ocarina of Time)
- "First of all, it's made of wood. In the center is Link's family crest." —Shigeru Miyamoto (The Z-Files)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 150
- "Bouclier Mojo
Un bouclier en bois pour enfants. Il est léger mais inflammable." — Inventory (Ocarina of Time 3D)