- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Upgrades
- 3 Other Appearances
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See Also
- 8 References
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
Deku Nuts are the dried buds of Deku Babas. Although defeating Deku Babas is the most common source of these items, they can also be found on certain other enemies, in trees, and in jars as well. In Ocarina of Time, they are usually for sale in shops at 15 Rupees for five units. Business Scrubs will offer to sell some at a higher price than shops, at five Deku Nuts for 20 Rupees.
Throughout Ocarina of Time, Link can use Deku Nuts to temporarily stun enemies (which is indicated by a blue skin that filters over the enemy). When a Deku Nut collides with the ground, it lets off a large flash which freezes enemies caught in the flash. Oddly enough, even Ganon may be injured by Deku Nuts.
Deku Nuts are the weapons of Deku Scrubs, which spit them from their snouts. However, the Deku Nuts utilized by Deku Scrubs do not explode on impact, and instead simply deal damage and crumble. That being said, Deku Link is able to drop Deku Nuts while flying using a Deku Flower, which have the same effect as throwing them. Besides being used for battle, Deku Nuts also hold aesthetic value for the Deku Royal Family in particular, as the Deku King's scepter is adorned with a large Deku Nut on top.
The Minish Cap
In Twilight Princess, Deku Nuts appear as objects and can be picked up from deceased Deku Babas and thrown like jars or rocks. They will not explode or produce a flash, but instead will yield Deku Seeds, which can be used with the Slingshot.
In Ocarina of Time, it is possible to increase the maximum number of Deku Nuts Link can carry in his inventory. The first upgrade increases the amount from 20 to 30. The second raises it from 30 to 40. These upgrades can be obtained in any order.
The first upgrade is obtained as a child by entering the Forest Stage while wearing the Mask of Truth (additionally, the Deku Scrubs will refill the supply of Deku Nuts). In the Nintendo 64 version of Ocarina of Time, due to a glitch, if the upgrade is not acquired before Link obtains the Poacher's Saw from the Trading Quest, it becomes impossible to receive the upgrade. This was fixed in Ocarina of Time 3D.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Deku Nuts appear as an item in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. When thrown, the Deku Nut explodes upon contact, stunning any nearby fighter. It also causes approximately 18% worth of damage. Deku Nuts also explode after a while if ignored while on the ground. They also appear as a Trophy and as a Sticker.
|#||Trophy||Significant Games||Description||How to unlock|
|Ocarina of Time||Items that explode in a flash of blinding light shortly after they appear or when they take damage. Those caught in a blast will be dazed and immobile for a few moments. If the item is thrown, it has the same effect on whomever it hits. In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Deku Nuts stunned enemies and were indispensable when Link was surrounded.||Random|
|Sticker||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Usable by|
|Ocarina of Time||[Specials: Indirect] - Attack +4||All|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
|#||Trophy||Appears in||Description||How to unlock|
|Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time 3D
|After a short wait, or immediately if it gets thrown or hit, these little objects will explode in a burst of light. The flash will daze those too close, stunning them and leaving them open to attacks. It's easy to overlook these, so don't accidentally set one off on yourself!||Random|
Hyrule Warriors Legends
In Hyrule Warriors Legends, Deku Nuts appear as Plant-type Food. They are imbued with the Lightning Element. When consumed by a Companion Fairy in the Dining Room of the My Fairy mode, Deku Nuts can increase the Fairy's Trust level and personality traits.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Deku Nuts are Throwing Items in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. They behave identically to their past appearances.
- The Great Deku Tree's seeds in The Wind Waker resemble giant Deku Nuts.
- The way the Sheikahs use the Deku Nuts is an adaption of the metsubushi techniques, used by real-life ninjas.
- When Impa and Sheik use a Deku Nut after speaking to Link, a very small period of time passes before the impact's light vanishes and the Sheikah disappear, apparently implying that they go away instantly. It is possible, however, that Link stays stunned for longer, and only recovers consciousness after the item's effect fades away.
- With the exception of the final blow with the Master Sword, Ganon can be killed using only Deku Nuts on his tail. While more are required than Link can carry at once (even with upgrades) several of the pieces of rubble on the battlefield contain Deku Nuts once Ganon smashes them open.
- Deku Seeds in Skyward Sword are incredibly similar to Deku Nuts in that they come from Deku Babas and forest plants, produce a flash on impact and stun enemies that come close to the flash. In context, it is possible that without full maturity, the seed is a weaker version of the Nut.
- In the Desert Colossus in Ocarina of Time and the Great Bay Region in Majora's Mask, Deku Nuts will occasionally drop from coconut Trees if Link Rolls into them.[verification needed]
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクの実 (Deku no Mi) (OoT)||Same as English.|
|German||Deku-Nuss (HWDE)||Same as English.|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 121 (OoT | MM)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 112
- "Deku Nut
This little nut explodes on impact, dazzling fighters on the ground and launching those who are airborne." — Items (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 42
- "I surrender! In return, I will sell you Deku Nuts! 5 pieces, 20 Rupees they are!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Set it to C and try throwing it! It will flash and stun the enemy!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Upon impact, it makes a blinding flash, freezing enemies in their tracks!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — PRIMA Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 9
- "Now you can carry many Deku Nuts! You can hold up to 30 nuts!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You can now carry even more Deku Nuts! You can carry up to 40 nuts!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "All my young Deku Scrub brothers say... You have a horrible face! But don't worry! We will reward you with many Deku Nuts. Of course, we will also enable you to carry more of them! Abracadabra… Alakazaaaam!!" — Deku Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Nuts! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 150
- "Deku-Nuss" — Dining Room (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)